RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Posts: 5,431,331
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 436
Newest member: honeybadger


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 28 2014, 12:17 AM   #46
Synnöve
Lieutenant
 
Synnöve's Avatar
 
Location: PNW
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm not responsible for the opinions of others; I'm putting forward a reasoned explanation for the obvious failings I see in something being talked up as some kind of pinnacle. I make no excuses for what fails in TFF (of which there is plenty); however the emotional KSM core of the thing is as solid as anything in FeatureTrek, and it keeps me coming back, no matter how many decks are in the ship or how feeble the Sybok angle is.
But... his crew betraying him at the drop of the hat from some odd fellow they've never met before (and I believe the film makes a point that it's not brainwashing, or Shatner did in some interview)? How is that a solid emotional core? These are the same people who risked all for Kirk and Spock in TSFS.

The film was a lot of fun for me in my youth due to it's grandiose aspirations, but that one element just ruins it for me these days.
Synnöve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 01:34 AM   #47
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Synnöve wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm not responsible for the opinions of others; I'm putting forward a reasoned explanation for the obvious failings I see in something being talked up as some kind of pinnacle. I make no excuses for what fails in TFF (of which there is plenty); however the emotional KSM core of the thing is as solid as anything in FeatureTrek, and it keeps me coming back, no matter how many decks are in the ship or how feeble the Sybok angle is.
But... his crew betraying him at the drop of the hat from some odd fellow they've never met before (and I believe the film makes a point that it's not brainwashing, or Shatner did in some interview)? How is that a solid emotional core? These are the same people who risked all for Kirk and Spock in TSFS.

The film was a lot of fun for me in my youth due to it's grandiose aspirations, but that one element just ruins it for me these days.
Although I love a couple of Scotty moments from TURNABOUT INTRUDER and ARMAGEDDON, the show was always about the big 3 for me, so none of that stuff bothers me in the slightest. The emotional core of TOS is KSM, and even the idiocy of Spock not shooting Sybok in the knee isn't going to detract from the fact that for me this movie actually manages to amplify what was great in the series.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 01:42 AM   #48
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Captrek wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm not responsible for the opinions of others
I'm not holding you responsible for the opinions of other. I'm observing that you basically argued that Kirk's reaction to Kirk's death is implausible because you would be more torn up by the death of a coworker than by the death of the biological child you never wanted and don't have. But...
The impression I got about Garrovick, who I believe was briefly considered as a recurring character, is that this is the kind of man Kirk would choose to be a father-figure for, not just because of the debt to the father, but because of the foolhardy courage the kid demonstrates.

What David demonstrates does not impress me, not in either film, even if SFS tries to say he does things like Kirk, because David simply does not register dramatically. Geez, opening day in San Jose, the crowd applauded everybody in the opening credits (even Robin Curtis, who nobody had seen), but when Buttrick's name came up ... silence, followed by a burst of laughter at the silence. What could you do BUT kill a non-entity like that?

I don't know why you're considering the view invalid because of my own personal choices. I haven't killed anybody with my own hands, even people who deserve it, but that doesn't stop me from endorsing some of the actions of Dexter, Dirty Harry and countless other fictional creations who apply a fascist mindset while doing their fictional worlds a favor by ridding them of what I could charitably describe as sub-human trash.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 03:12 AM   #49
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Captrek wrote: View Post
I'm not holding you responsible for the opinions of other. I'm observing that you basically argued that Kirk's reaction to Kirk's death is implausible because you would be more torn up by the death of a coworker than by the death of the biological child you never wanted and don't have. But...
It feels implausible to HIM. Whether or not he has had or never chose to have a child doesn't change that fact, so I'm not really sure what you;re trying to accomplish here other than saying "I disagree."
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:57 PM   #50
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Now, now. TFF does suck.

__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 03:24 PM   #51
austen_pierce
Captain
 
austen_pierce's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

To the original post, I think Kirk's appearance DOES serve as a distraction. BUT Decker had already identified the transporter issue and given orders to replace the faulty part(s). As a leader both Decker and Kirk HAVE to rely on the diligence and professionalism of those under their command. As technical knowledge workers, it's their job to BE the force that prevents accidents like that from happening.

Bottom line, IMO yes Kirk does contribute to the accident, but its the transporter techs in engineering, arguably even Scotty, who have direct responsibility for the accident.
__________________
"I'm not the commander" - Tim Allen
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 06:07 AM   #52
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

It's all on Rand. She was out to get Kirk's girlfriend, Sonak was just collateral damage.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 05:00 AM   #53
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Maurice wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
I'm not holding you responsible for the opinions of other. I'm observing that you basically argued that Kirk's reaction to Kirk's death is implausible because you would be more torn up by the death of a coworker than by the death of the biological child you never wanted and don't have. But...
It feels implausible to HIM. Whether or not he has had or never chose to have a child doesn't change that fact, so I'm not really sure what you;re trying to accomplish here other than saying "I disagree."
Consider why he calls it implausible. He's saying he doesn't believe that Kirk would react that way to the death of the son he barely knew because he (trevanian) wouldn't. I'm just pointing out that, if the fact that he has never reproduced or desired to reproduce don't clue him in to the fact that his emotional reactions to such things are not necessarily typical, the fact that he loves TFF should. Ha ha. His comments were unwittinglly ironic, which I found amusing.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:08 AM   #54
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

I'm not going to judge his reactions and his life experience, nor yours. To do so is a tacky way of invalidating someone else's feelings.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:17 AM   #55
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Is that what you think I did? "Atypical" isn't a moral judgment.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 02:14 PM   #56
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

No, but your use of it clearly implies eccentricity.

I've never gotten through very much of TITANIC, either, which would be another minority view given its immense popularity, but I doubt that would qualify to most as eccentric.

Let's try another notion here. I recently found out my father died several years back. I only met him a few times, found that except for Super-8 cameras we had almost nothing in common, but even my wife was surprised at my lack of interest in his passing. I didn't feel wistful due to my not having gotten to know him better, or for any other reason, because I didn't ever want to know him better.

He was not my kind of guy (he chose his rental car on the basis of the one with a radio that picked up the bay area 'beautiful music'muzak station!), and he was not so interesting as to cause me to expand my worldview to accommodate him either. Is this due to reduced empathy on my part, or just being rational about somebody I didn't click with?

By way of comparison, I can still recall how the world seemed to change its spin rate when I was told the friend I'd known longest, since 1st grade, was shot to death at age 19 in 1980.

I don't know if it is something from doing acting 'sense-memory' exercises or not, but I can and do actually tear up when recalling one of the last discussions I had with him, where he was recalling his dead father while the song 'cat's in the cradle' played on an AM radio somewhere (guess that is a case of REPO MAN's 'lattice of coincidence' at work.) That sounds in keeping with the narrator's response to his childhood friend's death in STAND BY ME, so does that make me less atypical?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 08:45 PM   #57
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Here on a Star Trek board, where IDIC philosophy predominates, it honestly never occurred to me that you would feel insulted by an observation that your reaction to some things is different from that of most other men.

The only thing I intended to judge was only your word choice when you commented that you find a moment in a film "implausible" because the protagonist doesn't share your minority trait. I can understand that you might find it difficult or impossible to relate to a character driven by psychological drives you don't share, but that's different from calling it implausible.

It was never my intention to offend you, but evidently I managed to do so anyway. I apologize.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:01 AM   #58
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Let's stop talking about us and talk about Kirk: Kirk knew David existed, regretted "staying away," was upset Carol didn't tell David who his father was. David came to Kirk to comfort him after Spock died, reminded Kirk of his own wisdom regarding death and told kirk he was proud, very proud, very proud to be his son. Kirk, who had lost THREE brothers (Gary, Spock and Sam), who was always portrayed as painfully lonely, is given more than enough motivation to be shaken by David's death. I have no children and never desired to have children but I have no problem with that.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:27 AM   #59
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Let's stop talking about us and talk about Kirk: Kirk knew David existed, regretted "staying away," was upset Carol didn't tell David who his father was. David came to Kirk to comfort him after Spock died, reminded Kirk of his own wisdom regarding death and told kirk he was proud, very proud, very proud to be his son. Kirk, who had lost THREE brothers (Gary, Spock and Sam), who was always portrayed as painfully lonely, is given more than enough motivation to be shaken by David's death. I have no children and never desired to have children but I have no problem with that.
Thank you.

I don't remember, and I don't have it handy, but did Kirk know beforehand that David was on the Grissom? If so, did he know that David had beamed down to investigate a life form?

I was always under the impression that Kirk learned that David was on the Genesis planet during the communication between Enterprise and Kruge. The surprise of that fact, followed by the shock of learning that David was brutally murdered caused his collapse. That he regained his composure so quickly speaks to his capability as a captain.

It doesn't matter how close Kirk and David were. Kirk knew he had a son, was just starting to develop a relationship with him, and heard his murder in real time.

Kirk's reaction was real, and in my opinion Shatner's portrayal of that was one of the best of any of his work.
__________________
"GARY BUSEY!" - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:46 AM   #60
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Does Kirk Contribute to the Transporter Accident in TMP?

Yes, he says he knows David exploring Genesis in his personal log at the movie's start.

EDIT: "My son. My life that could have been and wasn't." All I need to hear.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.