Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2014, 03:53 AM   #151
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Rewatching Blake's 7

The Way Back - Again, I'm struck at how awesome a Pilot this is. It sets the tone for the entire series so well, the extent The Administration will go to, to rid themselves of dangerous Dissidents

Though, with today's Audience, I suspect you need to make it longer (Maybe double episode?), add Space Fall and add background for Jenna, Vila, Avon and Gan to bring in more "stuff" going on, and then those threads can all be brought together with the Shuttle trip (Though, after seeing Blake's Ordeal, Gan's probably isn't necessary, but, I'd like to see Avon's, Jenna's, and Vila's downfalls).

Space Fall - Hmmmm. Right before Blake kicks The Mutiny/Takeover into motion, and he's bargaining with Avon, Avon says he already has an escape plan... I like the idea, that somehow he had pre-arranged for Liberator to be there. He didn't really comment when Blake rattled off what he thought Avon's plan relied upon, so either interpretation is still possible. Avon, does, afterall, arrange for them to meet up with ORAC later on, doesn't he?

Up this weekend, at least the next 4-6 episodes. I'm Not looking forward to Web, but, I seem to remember the rest of those are pretty good

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; March 8 2014 at 04:08 AM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 08:09 AM   #152
Candlelight
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Way Back - Again, I'm struck at how awesome a Pilot this is. It sets the tone for the entire series so well, the extent The Administration will go to, to rid themselves of dangerous Dissidents

Though, with today's Audience, I suspect you need to make it longer (Maybe double episode?), add Space Fall and add background for Jenna, Vila, Avon and Gan to bring in more "stuff" going on, and then those threads can all be brought together with the Shuttle trip (Though, after seeing Blake's Ordeal, Gan's probably isn't necessary, but, I'd like to see Avon's, Jenna's, and Vila's downfalls).

Space Fall - Hmmmm. Right before Blake kicks The Mutiny/Takeover into motion, and he's bargaining with Avon, Avon says he already has an escape plan... I like the idea, that somehow he had pre-arranged for Liberator to be there. He didn't really comment when Blake rattled off what he thought Avon's plan relied upon, so either interpretation is still possible. Avon, does, afterall, arrange for them to meet up with ORAC later on, doesn't he?

Up this weekend, at least the next 4-6 episodes. I'm Not looking forward to Web, but, I seem to remember the rest of those are pretty good
No, Avon's plan was exactly as Vila suggested; that he reprogramme the flight computers, dump the prisoners, lie that they made it to Cygnus Alpha and pocket the savings.

If this was remade today it would exactly like The Beginning, with the first four episodes compressed into a two-hour premiere. I would agree they would flesh out the backstories of all six regulars, but I doubt we would see Cygnus Alpha; the story would likely be set entirely in space, Cally would be a fellow prisoner and the episode would climax with a space battle with the Liberator taking on a fleet of pursuit ships.
Old March 8 2014, 08:27 AM   #153
Candlelight
Admiral

B08: HOSTAGE

Allan Prior again, but this time the saving graces of Horizon don't rub off here. The story is convoluted (Avon calls Servalan to get her to Exbar for what can only be described as an extremely weak excuse, and ultimately designed as a boring way to get Servalan and Travis back together, despite leaving on fairly iffy terms two episodes earlier) and plot holed (what was the point of Ushton limping and then not limping??), some aspects are down right dodgy (Blake fancies his cousin???), and then there's the Crimo's who appear to be butch versions of the Mutoids (who wear blonde wigs in this episode??), and who are just as useless. A re-use of the death of Vargas from 'Cygnus Alpha' again too.

Pity, as the episode starts out so well with the largest space battle on the show to date.
Old March 8 2014, 09:22 AM   #154
Candlelight
Admiral

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blakes-7-V...item58ac17218d

Oh boy...
Old March 8 2014, 03:33 PM   #155
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Someone (AuntieHill?) previously posted a Youtube Video of Avon/Blake romantic moments

Old March 8 2014, 07:08 PM   #156
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^They weren't romantic moments, for Christ's sake; they were important scenes from the show about their friendship/antagonism.

Anyone who sees their relationship as "slash" is totally misreading the show. Their relationship--respect/friendship/loyalty/hate/trust/betrayal--is at the heart of the show, IMO. It's tragic, if anything.

Anyway, I found this on youtube and thought it was a well-made video. It's not slash, FFS. I think it's actually very sad.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 07:24 PM   #157
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
^They weren't romantic moments, for Christ's sake; they were important scenes from the show about their friendship/antagonism.

Anyone who sees their relationship as "slash" is totally misreading the show. Their relationship--respect/friendship/loyalty/hate/trust/betrayal--is at the heart of the show, IMO. It's tragic, if anything.

Anyway, I found this on youtube and thought it was a well-made video. It's not slash, FFS. I think it's actually very sad.
Sorry for any offense. That is an awesome Video, and I agree with you. I was thinking of another video someone posted (Also using some of those scenes) that extended the long looks, making it appear more romantic. Maybe remembering you posting this awesome video, made me misremember you posting the other one

Old March 8 2014, 08:40 PM   #158
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Ah. I was wondering how someone would connect those two things.....

I also posted a video about Avon & Cally. That one DID have some "long, lingering looks," but there was indeed a glimmer of that in the show in "Sarcophagus", so that one actually worked, I thought.
It's this one:
Old March 9 2014, 12:13 PM   #159
Starkers
Admiral

The only probably with Killer is the wardrobe in use on the colony. Other than that (and Jenna/Cally being sidelined) it's really good.

Hostage is a bit pointless. I think the reason for Blake's uncle's limp is that he uses it to give him the excuse not to go up the hill with Blake. Definitely one of the more forgettable eps, but no show is perfect.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 08:41 PM   #160
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

"Killer" has the worst costumes. First of all, Avon and Villa are wearing trash bags--more than a little distracting. And then there's the random footage of the fire squad, who look like--well, the kindest, least vulgar description would be Michelin men and manta rays. It's unfortunate, because I think the story is really quite good. We get a glimpse of normal, decent Federation people alongside the villain, great moments with Avon & Vila, tidbits of Avon's backstory, etc.
Old March 10 2014, 12:40 AM   #161
Candlelight
Admiral

AUDIO: BLOOD & EARTH

Taking a side step here; I've recently been given a handful of audio episodes and I may as well review those too. I know next to nothing about them so should be interesting. I only hear them on walks at lunch or on the drive to work in the morning.

This one is a prequel story (which I'm guessing is one of a handful of stories made at the same time). This one features Cally (played of course by Jan Chappel) and is entirely set on Auron, prior to Cally leaving for Saurian Major. It takes a while to get going, and the fact I didn't know it was a prequel I expected the Liberator to jump in at any moment, but the story was believable.
Old March 10 2014, 12:54 AM   #162
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This is probably the early years series. There are 6 stories/cds in this collection.

It's also about 4 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake%27s_7_(audio_drama)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 04:35 AM   #163
Candlelight
Admiral

My mate gave me all the stories up to (but not including) Escape Velocity, which is a shame as it's the one story I wanted to hear.

I don't have the Big Finish stories.
Old March 10 2014, 07:52 AM   #164
Saul
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
No, he knew the whole time, he was just being a dick.
I mean back as far as season 1. He didn't have memory back but he knew what happened between him and Travis.

Did anyone read the book by Paul Darrow? Called Lucifer and taking place after the end of season 4.
Old March 10 2014, 08:16 AM   #165
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Paul read at least half of it to me before I fell asleep.

The stuff about reforming the Federation was great, lots of intrigue as the star chamber shadow council plays spin the bottle-murder style to create a power block over their former equals.

The strange bit was an assassin talking about how cool bullet firing guns are when he's planning to murder someone as if energy weapons are just for crowd control but hardly elegant or precise.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote