TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 7 2014, 11:13 PM   #31
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Re: On-Screen Documents

I suppose it would have been equally valid to describe him as "Half Human Science Officer Spock".

What was the intention? To emphasize his "Vulcan-ess"? To emphasize his mixed heritage?
SchwEnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 11:32 PM   #32
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Hmm, maybe they were going off the script, "We need a 'General Order 7' document for this scene". Since the scene includes the line from Mendez about a Half-Vulcan Science Officer that made it into the document through a "brain leak" or whatever the exact term is.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 01:17 AM   #33
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Shawnster wrote: View Post
I like the 23rd Century racism.

Captain Christopher Pike
Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock
While we're talking about it, what about the sexism?
Where was Number One's name on that document?

Isn't a woman's name good enough ?

She was actually captured by the Talosians and outranked Spock so her opinion should be more relevant.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 02:06 AM   #34
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
First off, I think the spoken dialog in which Mendez refers to "a half-Vulcan science officer named Spock" was merely a rhetorical way of saying, this is the exact same guy as your first officer.

. . . Then I think the prop document was written with two references to that unique-to-Star-Trek phrase as an in-joke, in that it exactly quotes the dialog. It wasn't meant to be readable on TV.
This. Mendez was simply driving the point home that "this man, who is now your second-in-command, is the same guy who served under Captain Pike and visited Talos IV thirteen years ago."

No one watching the episode on 1960s TV sets would have been able to read the the text on that page. I agree, the double reference to "half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock" was probably meant as an in-joke.
Old March 8 2014, 02:34 AM   #35
drt
Commander

Star Trek didn't take that shortcut despite coming from an era when nobody would know.
My guess is that the art department may have created particular documents to such high detail on the off chance that the director wanted to include them in a close-up shot where perhaps some snippet of it could be read.

Metryq wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
It's a little pity they didn't continue this kind of earnestness in TNG, now that the remastering in HD reveals all these little inside jokes, both the silly and the better ones.
Back in the '60s the idea of home video was unheard of. By the time TNG rolled around, home video was commonplace. One would expect the later producers to be even more conscientious about freeze-frame details. But then again, maybe some of the next generation prop creators were hoping this stuff would be seen and noticed one day.
I'm pretty sure they intended it to be fun "easter egg" sorts of things for those fans who would bother to go to the trouble.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 02:39 AM   #36
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
First off, I think the spoken dialog in which Mendez refers to "a half-Vulcan science officer named Spock" was merely a rhetorical way of saying, this is the exact same guy as your first officer.

. . . Then I think the prop document was written with two references to that unique-to-Star-Trek phrase as an in-joke, in that it exactly quotes the dialog. It wasn't meant to be readable on TV.
This. Mendez was simply driving the point home that "this man, who is now your second-in-command, is the same guy who served under Captain Pike and visited Talos IV thirteen years ago."

No one watching the episode on 1960s TV sets would have been able to read the the text on that page. I agree, the double reference to "half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock" was probably meant as an in-joke.

Thanks, Scotpens.

Here's a little-noticed document that always looked like abstract gibberish on TV, but wasn't. Scotty's technical journal:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...bleshd0449.jpg

I can't seem to find it now, but I once saw online that it's actually a Matt Jeffries drawing of a ship's phaser, colorized for this use. If I recall was like a ball-turret.

Edit: I found it. It's this, which was also used in "Space Seed" when Khan was looking at technical manuals:

http://www.trekplace.com/images/article10-pic002.jpg
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 02:45 AM   #37
Metryq
Captain

Scotty's technical journal
Ah, those futuristic 8" CRTs... The viewfinders on camcorders are bigger than that now.
Old March 8 2014, 03:33 AM   #38
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

drt wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure they intended it to be fun "easter egg" sorts of things for those fans who would bother to go to the trouble.
Did they do this sort of thing in the 60s?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 04:07 AM   #39
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
drt wrote: View Post
Did they do this sort of thing in the 60s?
Pretty sure they didn't. No one making this stuff could have expected a fan base that would go over each episode with a fine tooth comb or the technology that allowed them to do it. They were just craftsmen do a job and doing it as well as they could. The Comsol document sounds like the art department following the scripts need for a prop not really going much beyond that. Basically using dialog in the script to create the prop document.
Old March 8 2014, 04:36 AM   #40
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Thanks, Scotpens.

Here's a little-noticed document that always looked like abstract gibberish on TV, but wasn't. Scotty's technical journal:

I can't seem to find it now, but I once saw online that it's actually a Matt Jeffries drawing of a ship's phaser, colorized for this use. If I recall was like a ball-turret.

Edit: I found it. It's this, which was also used in "Space Seed" when Khan was looking at technical manuals:

It's a plane boiler thing.
Old March 8 2014, 05:42 AM   #41
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Yes, that diagram was actually created in color for "Space Seed" using existing plane fuel pump reservoir blueprints. (The black and white image comes from an old fanzine reproduction of the image.)

All the detains can be found in in article by Dr. Dave Tilotta ("alchemist") at Star Trek History:

http://www.startrekhistory.com/article4.html

Thanks, Scotpens.

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; March 8 2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Oops. I see someone beat me to it.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 10:20 AM   #42
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Thanks, King Daniel and Greg. I was unaware of that terrific article, and that's some deep research they did.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 12:48 AM   #43
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

mb22 wrote: View Post
Perhaps there might be some reason to identify the biological origin of the 'signer' to show that the Talosian illusions didn't only affect humans. Any other "in-universe" ideas why this might be done?
I suppose it could be a compliment to the logical nature of Vulcans as well as their reputation for honesty. His being half-Vulcan lending to the integrity of the report.

Though I have to admit it was the first thing I noticed reading it and it does read as a bit "off" to have that there.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:14 AM   #44
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

I think it's a little odd that Mudd's rap sheet would include a reference to "Future Police"
There are a fair number of cities and towns scatter about the Americas named "Futura." Spanish for future (one of it's meanings).

Perhaps Future is the name of Harry Mudd's home planet.

The planet Future, where it's so bright you have to wear shades.

The line reads, "Future Police Record -- Code X731248."
As opposed to Earth Police Record -- Code X731248

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:23 AM   #45
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I think it's a little odd that Mudd's rap sheet would include a reference to "Future Police"
There are a fair number of cities and towns scatter about the Americas named "Futura." Spanish for future (one of it's meanings).

Perhaps Future is the name of Harry Mudd's home planet.

The planet Future, where it's so bright you have to wear shades.

The line reads, "Future Police Record -- Code X731248."
As opposed to Earth Police Record -- Code X731248

Harry Mudd is in the "Minority Report".