Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 7 2014, 06:09 AM   #76
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: Is Avery Brooks a good actor?

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
And his relationship with Jake was fantastic, and everything that Wesley and Beverly (who appeared to be complete strangers) should have been. "The Visitor" still chokes me up.
In defence of Beverly and Wesley, I think it was implied that since the death of Jack, both Beverly and Wesley have become distant with each other, due to the trauma both of them being a reminder of their loved one (Father and Husband respectively). Perhaps due to the fact that Wesley, being a guy, did not know how to relate to his mother as well as he did to his father.
Crap...now it's going to look like I'm picking on Galaxy....

I WISH that sort of thing had been implied. It would have improved their characters immensely.

God...being a Marty Stu in a 'perfect society'...Wheaton had no chance.
lol no worries.

I feel Wesley is also unfairly picked on. Sure they made him be the whiz kid, and sometimes made the adults look like buffoons to make him look smarter, but he was a product of the style of that show. I think he was an excellent role model for kids, and I know I, as a nerd who works with high technology on a daily basis, see some of myself in him.

I think it was 2 or 3 episodes where he was really annoying, and even then not overly so. I find Jake's insistence on being a writer just as annoying.

I also feel sorry for Will Wheaton. It's clear that he feels unfairly judged by people about the character. You can feel the tone of defensiveness in all his writing and when he is interviewed at conventions and such.