Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "Charlie X"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 2 7.14%
6 3 10.71%
7 13 46.43%
8 8 28.57%
9 2 7.14%
10 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5 2014, 04:43 AM   #31
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week : Charlie X

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I heard the CHARLIE X guy was the first Spider-Man on TV, is that true, does anybody know? He doesn't look big enough to fill out those spidey-tights, to me. But, I guess you'd just get a stuntman for that, anyway.
No. The 1977-79 TV Spider-Man was portrayed by Nicholas Hammond (who also guest-starred on an episode of the short-lived Logan's Run TV series of the same period).

Factually, the first TV Spider-Man was a segment on the PBS series, The Electric Company, as played by Danny Seagren.
Old March 5 2014, 04:48 AM   #32
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

ToddPence wrote: View Post
Trivia note: How mn of you know that Walker starred in the 1972 Blob sequel?
Yes...Beware! The Blob was a far cry from the Steve McQueen original, as it was very much am early 1970s exploitation feel about it, along with more humor than the original.

If anyone is curious, they should take a look at the names involved, as its filled with then-fading stars, and a couple of people who would make it big later in that decade....
Old March 5 2014, 07:23 PM   #33
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Directed by Larry Hagman, the whole thing was a goof. Probably a way to get his out of work pals together.
Old March 6 2014, 06:30 AM   #34
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

He had some good roles. In the John Wayne flick "War Wagon" he played a drunken explosives expert. He also had what should have been a great role as the title character in "Ensign Pulver", the sequel to "Mister Roberts". The movie was a flop, but his performance was very good.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 05:26 AM   #35
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Charlie was an interesting kind of monster. he was a 17 year old without any human guidance whatsoever. He was obviously quite curious about so many things ye he knew nothing about relating to others. in some respects he was quite similar to some teenagers who can be incredibly self-absorbed, but those kids don't have the power to make their annoyances vanish or melt into a puddle. Couple that with a lack of impulse control that quite a few teenagers can experience.
The episode was decent except for the ending. Why couldn't those beings just take his power away and give him back to Kirk as a regular human being? It's clear Charlie X didn't want to leave. All he needed was someone to remove his capacity to hurt people, and that way Kirk could start dealing with him on equal footing.

I'd give it a 7, but the ending reduces that to a 2.
Old March 7 2014, 10:01 AM   #36
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Lol. But it's the ending that makes it so tragic. Admittedly it is convenient but if god like beings had to step in, I'm glad it didn't end nicely.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 11:04 AM   #37
scotpens
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
The episode was decent except for the ending. Why couldn't those beings just take his power away and give him back to Kirk as a regular human being?
Because they couldn't.

Of course, it's an arbitrary device to give the story a downbeat ending. But I'm reminded of Roger Ebert's comment on the harrowing speeder-bike chase through the dense forest in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. He wondered why the bikes couldn't just fly above the treetops. Answer: Because That's Not How They Work!

(Come to think of it, maybe it was Gene Siskel who said that. I'm not sure.)
Old March 7 2014, 08:32 PM   #38
AtoZ
Commander

I give this one a solid 8. We see Uhura and Rand fleshed-out some and we even get to see another side of McCoy and Kirk to varying degrees. I also liked the ship's gymnasium.

The story isn't all that complex but Robert Walker JR does a magnificent job bring dimension and color to Charlie. We also get to here Roddenberry as the ship's cook. To top it all off we find out that the turbo lifts have a quality similar to that of the "Bat poles" given their apparent ability to change Kirk's tunic between scenes.

A confident 8.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 11:37 PM   #39
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't read too much into it. Even though the only time such an incident occurred, it was also the sole time Kirk shared a turbolift with an under-20 male while nobody else was present.