RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,049
Posts: 5,431,068
Members: 24,926
Currently online: 455
Newest member: In_Correct

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 28 2014, 04:52 PM   #61
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Perhaps the reason for the episode-end levity is that the ship had a cloning chamber installed. This would also explain some of the character recurrences.

"He's not really dead, as long as we remember him...and our cloning chamber works."

Obviously Spock couldn't be regenerated because Khan's attack damaged the chamber, hence the sadness at the end of TWoK.

__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:24 PM   #62
Zaku
Captain
 
Zaku's Avatar
 
Location: Italy
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Christopher wrote: View Post
It would be insensitive in-universe, but in real-world terms, the producers didn't want the viewers to go away depressed, so the conceit of a "happy ending" was used.
In Operation: Annihilate!, the brother of Kirk dies and the episodes ends with jokes about vulcan ears...

For a modern viewer, it can be unsettling... I can't imagine a episode of a modern tv show ending with a light note after a close relative of the main protagonist died...
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:46 PM   #63
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

This shows TOS redshirt deaths. For those of you who are on tablets that don't show the vid, go to YouTube and type "I'm Alive Redshirts" and click on the 3:48 minute vid. The song is a bit appropo...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 08:05 PM   #64
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, the episodes end with the crew joking, but they're not joking about the redshirt deaths ... the producers didn't want the viewers to go away depressed, so the conceit of a "happy ending" was used.
No, they're not, and like I said, it seems almost as bad — but there are worse things.

(Actually I thought I picked up that point from you. Have you posted in the past about the incongruity of humorous endings?)

Anyway, we still have, "Let's get the hell out of here." They could be serious when needed.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:11 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
No, they're not, and like I said, it seems almost as bad — but there are worse things.

(Actually I thought I picked up that point from you. Have you posted in the past about the incongruity of humorous endings?)
I'm not saying it can't be criticized. I'm saying, criticize it for what it actually is. The claim I was challenging was that they were joking about the redshirt deaths, which is simply untrue.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:21 PM   #66
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Agreed!
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:39 PM   #67
Garrovick
Commander
 
Garrovick's Avatar
 
Location: wallowing in a pool of emotion
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

I always thought "A Taste of Armageddon" was an interesting anomaly in this regard, since 3 redshirts (Yeoman Tamura plus Security guards Galloway and Osborne) beam down with Kirk at the beginning of the episode and all 3 of them survive despite the landing party spending a good part of the episode engaged in a more-or-less running firefight with the Eminian guards. The only Federation death in the episode was Fox's aide.
__________________
"A mind needs books the way a sword needs a whetstone." - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:40 PM   #68
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Garrovick wrote: View Post
I always thought "A Taste of Armageddon" was an interesting anomaly in this regard, since 3 redshirts (Yeoman Tamura plus Security guards Galloway and Osborne) beam down with Kirk at the beginning of the episode and all 3 of them survive despite the landing party spending a good part of the episode engaged in a more-or-less running firefight with the Eminian guards. The only Federation death in the episode was Fox's aide.
Was Fox's aide killed or merely stunned? We don't know.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:30 PM   #69
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

^ Yep, we see the aide slumped over in a corner after a firefight, but we have no idea what eventually happened to him. He could have just been knocked unconscious.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 10:04 PM   #70
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

I should think the Eminians would have preferred to stun him, because otherwise his death wouldn't be properly registered with the disintegration chambers.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:26 PM   #71
Garrovick
Commander
 
Garrovick's Avatar
 
Location: wallowing in a pool of emotion
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Well, I will grant that the episode doesn't really go into details about the aide's fate. Just like it doesn't go into details about the workings of the Eminians' sonic disruptor weapons (on a side note, I never did understand how weapons based on sonic vibrations can affect a starship in orbit, but I suppose that's another thread), but I've always felt the aide was killed in that fight (and there's no reason his lifeless body couldn't be taken to a disintegration station later, anyway).

But I do stand by my actual point, which was that the episode is an anomaly in my opinion as regards the usual fate of redshirts who beam down and encounter a hostile situation.
__________________
"A mind needs books the way a sword needs a whetstone." - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:54 PM   #72
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Garrovick wrote: View Post
But I do stand by my actual point, which was that the episode is an anomaly in my opinion as regards the usual fate of redshirts who beam down and encounter a hostile situation.
I'm not sure I'd agree, because the trope of redshirts constantly dying didn't really emerge until season 2, notably in episodes like "The Apple," "Obsession," and "The Changeling." The only "redshirt deaths" in the first season were in "What Are Little Girls Made Of" (Rayburn & Matthews), "Arena" (O'Herlihy, though goldshirted Lang also dies), and "The Devil in the Dark" (one nameless security officer). The majority of onscreen crew deaths in season one were in gold, and red was tied with blue. So "Armageddon" was not an anomaly where the first season was concerned.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 05:34 PM   #73
Garrovick
Commander
 
Garrovick's Avatar
 
Location: wallowing in a pool of emotion
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

^^^ You have a good point in regards to Season 1; I was thinking more along the lines of TOS as a whole.
__________________
"A mind needs books the way a sword needs a whetstone." - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 02:47 AM   #74
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Redshirt Olsen's death - from the 2009 film - could have been prevented. He was just a bit too cocky and silly.

A personal observation: I always find it interesting that the death of individuals in redshirts are celebrated and is a source of amusement, in a universe where life is supposedly precious, as well as equality, enlightenment, etc.
I don't believe, in universe, the deaths are seen as a source of amusement or celebrated.
But in fandom, and with people casually into Star Trek, it is.

(I wasn't too clear on that).

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
A personal observation: I always find it interesting that the death of individuals in redshirts are celebrated and is a source of amusement, in a universe where life is supposedly precious, as well as equality, enlightenment, etc.
I'd like one example when this was done.
One example:
Online forums.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 03:06 AM   #75
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Redshirt Olsen's death - from the 2009 film - could have been prevented. He was just a bit too cocky and silly.

A personal observation: I always find it interesting that the death of individuals in redshirts are celebrated and is a source of amusement, in a universe where life is supposedly precious, as well as equality, enlightenment, etc.
I don't believe, in universe, the deaths are seen as a source of amusement or celebrated.
But in fandom, and with people casually into Star Trek, it is.

(I wasn't too clear on that).

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
A personal observation: I always find it interesting that the death of individuals in redshirts are celebrated and is a source of amusement, in a universe where life is supposedly precious, as well as equality, enlightenment, etc.
I'd like one example when this was done.
One example:
Online forums.
Still not in universe.

And I don't see a problem making light of the tropes of fiction.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.