TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 6 2014, 05:56 AM   #1
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

On-Screen Documents

There were several cases of on-screen documents in Star Trek that we can read now thanks to HD screen caps:
  • "Where No Man..." - Psych and ESP evaluations.
  • "Where No Man..." - Spinoza's Ethics.
  • "Mudd's Women" - Harry's police record.
  • "The Menagerie" - Mendez's report on Talos IV.
When the show first aired, people watched it on CRT sets, meaning low resolution and no ability to take freeze frames. Nobody was ever supposed to read these things. So it's surprising and a little lucky that the docs were created as sincerely as they were. The content is pretty good, though not perfect. It could have been a total joke.

There have been times when I was watching one-hour dramas produced in the 2000s, and I would freeze the DVR whenever they showed a newspaper article. This was especially fun when HDTV was a novelty. Very often I'd see the first few lines of text were true to the episode, and the rest would be either gibberish or sometimes those same lines repeated over and over. Star Trek didn't take that shortcut despite coming from an era when nobody would know.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Metryq
Captain

Re: On-Screen Documents

You mean some of those other shows inserted Lorem Ipsum? Cicero in the 23rd century.
Old March 6 2014, 01:10 PM   #3
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I've never seen actual Latin used, but non-Trek on-screen docs are often dummied up.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Robert Comsol
Commodore

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
So it's surprising and a little lucky that the docs were created as sincerely as they were. The content is pretty good, though not perfect. It could have been a total joke.
But Gene Roddenberry's credo had been to make it feel as real as possible, especially in the 1960's.

I think these on-screen documents are a nice testament to that and put the actors in the "right" mood in a manner of speaking (e.g. Bill Shatner reading "my" report on Talos IV, obviously not something that would make an actor crack up and start to laugh in the middle of shooting).

It's a little pity they didn't continue this kind of earnestness in TNG, now that the remastering in HD reveals all these little insike jokes, both the silly and the better ones.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Metryq
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
It's a little pity they didn't continue this kind of earnestness in TNG, now that the remastering in HD reveals all these little insike jokes, both the silly and the better ones.
Back in the '60s the idea of home video was unheard of. By the time TNG rolled around, home video was commonplace. One would expect the later producers to be even more conscientious about freeze-frame details. But then again, maybe some of the next generation prop creators were hoping this stuff would be seen and noticed one day.

(With today's technology, one could seamlessly insert or remove anything during "remastering"—cover up continuity errors and other blunders, etc. Ben Finney strikes again!)
Old March 6 2014, 03:17 PM   #6
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Commodore Comsol, I never knew the significance of your name. Neat.
Old March 6 2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Actually isn't the "real" Comsol supposed to be the head Admiral of the fleet? The document says "Commanding officer", but it doesn't say of what. I thought this implied that Comsol was the big cheese, so to speak.
Old March 6 2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

I like the 23rd Century racism.

Captain Christopher Pike
Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:25 PM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Shawnster wrote: View Post

Captain Christopher Pike
I don't understand. It was simply a way of identifiyng Spock (That IS your objection, yes?). How is that racism?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

...and, along with the documents, there was a insistent fidelity to how the controls were designed to work...from "Inside Star Trek" to some of the cast biographies to interviews, there have been many recountings of fans writing in to note that Uhuru pushed the wrong button for "opening hailing frequencies", or that Sulu adjusted the ship's chronometer when he meant to take the ship to warp...even the actors recounted some of these stories with respectful amusement...a true testament to some of the points made above...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:46 PM   #11
F. King Daniel
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post

Captain Christopher Pike
I don't understand. It was simply a way of identifiyng Spock (That IS your objection, yes?). How is that racism?
To put it in Earthican terms, 'Black Communications Officer Uhura' sounds particularly nasty, especially when Pike wasn't 'Caucasian Captain Pike'
Old March 6 2014, 05:59 PM   #12
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps there might be some reason to identify the biological origin of the 'signer' to show that the Talosian illusions didn't only affect humans. Any other "in-universe" ideas why this might be done?
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

...hmmm...Human-Raised Adopted Child Klingon Worf son of Mogh...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

RandyS wrote: View Post

Captain Christopher Pike
Because it's irrelevant that Spock is half human. Couldn't they just have given his rank?
Old March 6 2014, 06:33 PM   #15
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

^^ I never noticed until just now that the document we see on screen refers to Spock as "half-Vulcan." I suppose a human-Vulcan hybrid, especially one serving in Starfleet, was a rarity and worth noting. In any case, no one at the time thought it was "racist."

Here's the insert shot of the file Mendez gives Kirk to look at in "The Menagerie" . . .

. . . and here are the magazine cover and car advertisement created for "Bread and Circuses." That's quite a bit of work for something that was seen on-screen for about 2 seconds.