MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 4 2014, 08:49 PM   #1
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Blu-Ray Wishlist of Fixes

This is probably gonna be one of the more obsessive threads, but what the frunk? I was wondering if anyone else is hankering for an honest to god accurate release of Trek on Blu-Ray? I mean, as close to original “Night of Broadcast” as possible, like The Twilight Zone Definitive Edition was.

What we have at this point is pretty spotty. The picture is gorgeous, but there are a lot of video and sound issues that I would love to see fixed, such as:

1. Actually including the true mono broadcast track. What we have is sometimes right, most times not. Comparing the sound mix of the Blu-Rays to the DVDs and laserdiscs brings up myriad changes. The Enterprise engine rumble in the exterior shots was very inconsistent in the original prints. After a while, it was dropped entirely, but on the discs, it is ever-present. Only a very few episodes or scenes omit the sound. Even on the “mono broadcast track,” it’s there. In the first season, a few episodes (like Miri) have the rumble up excessively loud, drowning out the captain’s logs. In the final two seasons, there was originally no rumble at all. Starting with the DVDs, it was put in and remains in the “original broadcast” track.

2. The opening credits of The Man Trap and Charlie X originally Gene Roddenberry’s “created by” credit. These were missing from the syndicated prints starting in the 80’s and restored for the DVDs. They were missing again on the Blu-Rays.

3. The electric violin theme was used only in the first 8 episodes, I believe. The DVDs restored it well past that, but never fixed the end credits, which all had the cello theme (aside from WNMHGB). The Blu-Rays kept a couple of violin versions (specifically The Corbomite Maneuver), but returned the rest to the cello theme.

4. A couple of episodes on the Blu-Rays have the new CGI credits no matter which option you choose.

5. The Menagerie part 2 uses music from The Doomsday Machine and the Fred Steiner Charlie X rerecording in place of the original tracks. Now that all of the music was beautifully preserved on album, this can be fixed. Other music issues (unrelated to copyright) are scattered across the three seasons.

6. The cross fade in the final act of WHMHGB (after Kirk calls the Enterprise) is now a jump cut. Yeah, big deal, but again, not “night of broadcast.”

There are more, but I’m being anal as it is. I’m just surprised there are as many non-copyright alterations as there are. I’d love to know what prompted some of them, aside from making it “surround sound.” I understand that stuff, which explains what goes on in the Hi-Fi track.

Other things would be lovely to have such as the previews back in their proper place, the pilots in the first season set, network ID tags and sponsor billboards and the various network and syndication promos. All of these could be stuck in as a seamless branching option. Music only tracks would be amazing, but with the CD set, that may be redundant.

I’m a huge fan of preserving the feel of what TV was like in the 50’s and 60’s, and having Trek put out with the extras would be sweet. But I would be happy with the sound and video issues addressed.
Old March 4 2014, 11:58 PM   #2
toonloon
Commander

Re: Blu-Ray Wishlist of Fixes

The mono tracks are very often down mixes if the 5.1 tracks.
toonloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I'd just like to have them presented in production order!
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 03:08 PM   #4
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

toonloon wrote: View Post
The mono tracks are very often down mixes if the 5.1 tracks.
I can absolutely believe that of the second and third seasons. But many episodes in the first sound at least like what is on the laserdiscs. The Menagerie for one. However, they list these as the "original mono broadcast track," which for the most part, is simply false.

Like many fans of my generation, I audio taped the episodes in the 70's and listened to them over and over. I'm fixated on the sound, so a lot of this stuff jumps out at me and feels really wrong. So other fans' mileage my vary.
Old March 5 2014, 03:32 PM   #5
clint g
Admiral

I'll be honest with you, I'm all for new Trek but some of the stuff you're asking for is pretty niche. I imagine you will never see these fixes on Blu-Ray. I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question for some future release on a new medium.
Old March 5 2014, 04:21 PM   #6
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I know, some of it is really not what anyone gives a lot of thought to. I'd be happy with an accurate sound mix, fix the genuine glitches and leave it at that. But Twilight Zone and I Love Lucy have a lot of that stuff, so someone thought of it somewhere.
Old March 5 2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Campe98
Commodore

Hate to be nitpicky (but I think this is a fair thing based on the thread ) but the WNMHGB is a cut not a jump cut. A jump cut indicates there is obvious missing footage. For instance, in one version of "The Cage" (I don't remember which one as on Netflix, they've made an effort to fix it -- it would be somewhere around 22:50-22:58), as they're leaving the briefing room following the "swat this ship as though it were a fly" speech, there are maybe 10 very obvious missed frames as it seems one of the officers (only listed as geologist on Memory Alpha) suddenly moves forward.

But yes, production order would be brilliant.
Old March 5 2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Oso Blanco
Commodore

This is exactly why I will stick to my DVDs instead of upgrading to the BDs. This and the horrible new FX.
Old March 5 2014, 05:32 PM   #9
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Campe98 wrote: View Post
Hate to be nitpicky (but I think this is a fair thing based on the thread ) but the WNMHGB is a cut not a jump cut. A jump cut indicates there is obvious missing footage.
You're right, my bad. It's just no longer a dissolve. Thanks!
Old March 5 2014, 06:10 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
This is exactly why I will stick to my DVDs instead of upgrading to the BDs. This and the horrible new FX.
The Blu-ray's also have the original effects.
Old March 6 2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Oso Blanco
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Blu-ray's also have the original effects.
That doesn't always work, as far as I've heard.
Old March 6 2014, 05:27 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

That doesn't always work, as far as I've heard.
That is news to me. I've never had an issue watching an episode with the original effects.
Old March 6 2014, 06:52 PM   #13
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Me neither. It's always worked. Depending on the brand of player, you may have a few seconds of new effects before it switches over, but when that happens, I just restart the episode if it really bugs me.
Old March 6 2014, 07:07 PM   #14
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

I've had issues with switching between; it usually throws it back to the last chapter stop for me.

Switching has never been a priority for me though...although the old effects with the new audio track is fun!
BeatleJWOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:04 AM   #15
Oso Blanco
Commodore

The OP already stated that

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
A couple of episodes on the Blu-Rays have the new CGI credits no matter which option you choose.
And as far as I remember, some of the new effects are still there even if you're watching the BDs in classic mode. That's what I've read, anyway. The point being: You can't have the original TOS in HD, not even the DVD TOS. I'd be perfectly happy with the DVDs upgraded to DVD, but they didn't even manage to release Enterprise in a satisfying manner on BD!