RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,950
Posts: 5,390,846
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 560
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 4 2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Vandervecken
Commander
 
Vandervecken's Avatar
 
Location: Kobold
Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Who wins?

I give it to Nomad. I'm assuming his energy weapon would be unable to get through the neutronium outer hull of the Doomsday machine. But Nomad has a lot more thinking power than the DM, which is a pretty uncomplicated robot. No doubt Nomad would soon try shooting its weapon down the DM's "throat," and that would be that (frankly I always thought that it was way too easy to destroy the DM, but that's canon).

On the other hand, we don't know what the DM's anti-proton weapon, which can slice up planets, would do to Nomad, so one hit might be all it takes for the DM to take out Nomad.

Another possibility is that Nomad might be able to find an access port to the DM, and take control of it, maybe "merge" with it the same way the original Nomad merged with Tan-ru. But, IMO, the Doomsday machine, BECAUSE it's a Doomsday machine, was probably built without any access port.
__________________
Bad craziness.
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:45 PM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

I'd give it to Nomad.

P.S. This is the sort of thread that needs a poll.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Garrovick
Commander
 
Garrovick's Avatar
 
Location: wallowing in a pool of emotion
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Gonna go with Nomad, as well. Nomad is faster, smarter, and pound-for-pound more powerful than the DM. With its greater speed and maneuverability it wouldn't be too hard for Nomad to avoid the DM's anti-proton beam (which can only fire forward after all). I suspect that Nomad's weaponry, which was far in advance of a starship's, could eventually batter its way through the DM's hull. Failing that, Nomad could probably vaporize planetary chunks before the DM could eat them, thus "starving" the DM to the point of impotence.
__________________
"A mind needs books the way a sword needs a whetstone." - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 04:43 AM   #4
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

My take:

The two machines would not target each other if their paths crossed. Nomad was going after lifeforms and the DM was just out to blow up planets.

If some programming change induced them to fight, I think it would be a draw. The DM's thick neutronium hull would shrug off Nomad's energy bolts, and when Nomad got in front of the DM to try for a kill shot, the DM would be pretty fast on the draw and probably keep Nomad at bay.

Plus, it's not at all clear that an energy bolt worth "90 of our photon torpedoes" would pack the punch that the Constellation's 990-megaton explosion did. In "Balance of Terror," the Romulans' old nuclear warhead, the one they ejected with decoy debris, was vastly more powerful than a photon torpedo. It seemed like a lot more than 90 times more powerful.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:14 AM   #5
CrazyMatt
Commander
 
CrazyMatt's Avatar
 
Location: Paradise
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

What an interesting question....
__________________
"You are speaking to a senior officer, Kirk!"
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 03:13 PM   #6
paudemge
Captain
 
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Would Nomad be effected by the DM's energy dampening field?
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Vandervecken
Commander
 
Vandervecken's Avatar
 
Location: Kobold
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

paudemge wrote: View Post
Would Nomad be effected by the DM's energy dampening field?

Oh wow! I completely forgot about that.

I also forgot that Nomad could potentially starve the DM, which was one of Garrovick's points.

This ain't as cut and dried as I thought it might be.

I would suggest that possibly the energy weapon Nomad used against the Enterprise might not have been set at Nomad's maximum power output.
__________________
Bad craziness.
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

IMO - NOMAD wins in the end. Why?

- While we don't know the strength of NOMAD's full shields, the tech was more advanced then Frd Tech (Basis: The Federation didn't have weapons that could propel energy bolts at Warp 15.)

- The Doomsday Machine's weapon, while effective, was able to be defflected multiple times by the 1701's shields, thus, NOMAD would survive shots from the DM's weapon as well.

- The DM's hull being pure Neutronium, probably could't be blasted through by NOMAD's energy bolts, and the 1701's shields (per Spock could take 5 of those bolts before collapsing,

So, given the above, why do I say NOMAD wins, as opposed to a stalemate of some sort?

Because, as shown in the TOS episode "The Changeling" NOMAD has the ability to interface with, and change/program/improve alien technology (as seen in the 1701 engine room when he alters the matter/anti-matter reactor to produce a speed of Warp 14 for the 1701.) Thus NOMAD could fly in range of the Doomsday Machine, and reprogram/repair/improve and TAKE CONTROL of the automated DM.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:56 PM   #9
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

A Nomad-improved DM is an unappealling tho...

...oh wait, TMP. Right.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:44 AM   #10
Vandervecken
Commander
 
Vandervecken's Avatar
 
Location: Kobold
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

DonIago wrote: View Post
A Nomad-improved DM is an unappealling tho...

...oh wait, TMP. Right.
You mean throwing V'ger into the mix?
__________________
Bad craziness.
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:46 AM   #11
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Noname Given wrote: View Post
IMO - NOMAD wins in the end. Why?

- While we don't know the strength of NOMAD's full shields, the tech was more advanced then Frd Tech (Basis: The Federation didn't have weapons that could propel energy bolts at Warp 15.)

- The Doomsday Machine's weapon, while effective, was able to be defflected multiple times by the 1701's shields, thus, NOMAD would survive shots from the DM's weapon as well.

- The DM's hull being pure Neutronium, probably could't be blasted through by NOMAD's energy bolts, and the 1701's shields (per Spock could take 5 of those bolts before collapsing,

So, given the above, why do I say NOMAD wins, as opposed to a stalemate of some sort?

Because, as shown in the TOS episode "The Changeling" NOMAD has the ability to interface with, and change/program/improve alien technology (as seen in the 1701 engine room when he alters the matter/anti-matter reactor to produce a speed of Warp 14 for the 1701.) Thus NOMAD could fly in range of the Doomsday Machine, and reprogram/repair/improve and TAKE CONTROL of the automated DM.

You make some good points, but the DM emits a large amount of subspace interference, and presumably radio interference. That might jam any attempt to reprogram it remotely. It might even be the purpose of the DM's jamming field.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:29 AM   #12
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
A Nomad-improved DM is an unappealling tho...

...oh wait, TMP. Right.
You mean throwing V'ger into the mix?
If you want, but I figure V'ger's already sort of a hybrid of the two. It's got both smarts and sheer power.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
IMO - NOMAD wins in the end. Why?

- While we don't know the strength of NOMAD's full shields, the tech was more advanced then Frd Tech (Basis: The Federation didn't have weapons that could propel energy bolts at Warp 15.)

- The Doomsday Machine's weapon, while effective, was able to be defflected multiple times by the 1701's shields, thus, NOMAD would survive shots from the DM's weapon as well.

- The DM's hull being pure Neutronium, probably could't be blasted through by NOMAD's energy bolts, and the 1701's shields (per Spock could take 5 of those bolts before collapsing,

So, given the above, why do I say NOMAD wins, as opposed to a stalemate of some sort?

Because, as shown in the TOS episode "The Changeling" NOMAD has the ability to interface with, and change/program/improve alien technology (as seen in the 1701 engine room when he alters the matter/anti-matter reactor to produce a speed of Warp 14 for the 1701.) Thus NOMAD could fly in range of the Doomsday Machine, and reprogram/repair/improve and TAKE CONTROL of the automated DM.

You make some good points, but the DM emits a large amount of subspace interference, and presumably radio interference. That might jam any attempt to reprogram it remotely. It might even be the purpose of the DM's jamming field.
Possibly, but remember, the 1701 was able to clean up the interference locally (one BM shot damaged their subspace comm ); so, again, with NOMAD being of a higher tech then the 1701; unles the DM got a lucky shot on it, it should have no issues with short rage comms. VS the DM.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:54 PM   #14
feek61
Captain
 
feek61's Avatar
 
Location: The Sunshine State
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Interesting thought; I'm not sure since Nomads weapons were energy weapons they may well indeed have been rendered inert by the DM. A scarier thought for the Federation is if Nomad MERGED with the DM (like it did with the alien probe). That would cause some problems!!!
__________________
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 07:46 PM   #15
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Granted that it's up to the author how it goes down, but for me, given what Nomad did to the Enterprise's engines with a wave of its wand, Nomad seems quite subspace field capable, and I would not consider him seriously impeded by the DM's energy dampening field.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.