Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 4 2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Vandervecken
Commander

Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

Who wins?

I give it to Nomad. I'm assuming his energy weapon would be unable to get through the neutronium outer hull of the Doomsday machine. But Nomad has a lot more thinking power than the DM, which is a pretty uncomplicated robot. No doubt Nomad would soon try shooting its weapon down the DM's "throat," and that would be that (frankly I always thought that it was way too easy to destroy the DM, but that's canon).

On the other hand, we don't know what the DM's anti-proton weapon, which can slice up planets, would do to Nomad, so one hit might be all it takes for the DM to take out Nomad.

Another possibility is that Nomad might be able to find an access port to the DM, and take control of it, maybe "merge" with it the same way the original Nomad merged with Tan-ru. But, IMO, the Doomsday machine, BECAUSE it's a Doomsday machine, was probably built without any access port.
Old March 4 2014, 11:45 PM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Nomad vs The Doomsday Machine

I'd give it to Nomad.

P.S. This is the sort of thread that needs a poll.
Old March 5 2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Garrovick
Commander

Gonna go with Nomad, as well. Nomad is faster, smarter, and pound-for-pound more powerful than the DM. With its greater speed and maneuverability it wouldn't be too hard for Nomad to avoid the DM's anti-proton beam (which can only fire forward after all). I suspect that Nomad's weaponry, which was far in advance of a starship's, could eventually batter its way through the DM's hull. Failing that, Nomad could probably vaporize planetary chunks before the DM could eat them, thus "starving" the DM to the point of impotence.
Old March 5 2014, 04:43 AM   #4
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

My take:

The two machines would not target each other if their paths crossed. Nomad was going after lifeforms and the DM was just out to blow up planets.

If some programming change induced them to fight, I think it would be a draw. The DM's thick neutronium hull would shrug off Nomad's energy bolts, and when Nomad got in front of the DM to try for a kill shot, the DM would be pretty fast on the draw and probably keep Nomad at bay.

Plus, it's not at all clear that an energy bolt worth "90 of our photon torpedoes" would pack the punch that the Constellation's 990-megaton explosion did. In "Balance of Terror," the Romulans' old nuclear warhead, the one they ejected with decoy debris, was vastly more powerful than a photon torpedo. It seemed like a lot more than 90 times more powerful.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:14 AM   #5
CrazyMatt
Commander

What an interesting question....
Old March 5 2014, 03:13 PM   #6
paudemge
Captain

Would Nomad be effected by the DM's energy dampening field?
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Vandervecken
Commander

paudemge wrote: View Post
Would Nomad be effected by the DM's energy dampening field?

Oh wow! I completely forgot about that.

I also forgot that Nomad could potentially starve the DM, which was one of Garrovick's points.

This ain't as cut and dried as I thought it might be.

I would suggest that possibly the energy weapon Nomad used against the Enterprise might not have been set at Nomad's maximum power output.
Old March 5 2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

IMO - NOMAD wins in the end. Why?

- While we don't know the strength of NOMAD's full shields, the tech was more advanced then Frd Tech (Basis: The Federation didn't have weapons that could propel energy bolts at Warp 15.)

- The Doomsday Machine's weapon, while effective, was able to be defflected multiple times by the 1701's shields, thus, NOMAD would survive shots from the DM's weapon as well.

- The DM's hull being pure Neutronium, probably could't be blasted through by NOMAD's energy bolts, and the 1701's shields (per Spock could take 5 of those bolts before collapsing,

So, given the above, why do I say NOMAD wins, as opposed to a stalemate of some sort?

Because, as shown in the TOS episode "The Changeling" NOMAD has the ability to interface with, and change/program/improve alien technology (as seen in the 1701 engine room when he alters the matter/anti-matter reactor to produce a speed of Warp 14 for the 1701.) Thus NOMAD could fly in range of the Doomsday Machine, and reprogram/repair/improve and TAKE CONTROL of the automated DM.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:56 PM   #9
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

A Nomad-improved DM is an unappealling tho...

...oh wait, TMP. Right.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:44 AM   #10
Vandervecken
Commander

DonIago wrote: View Post

...oh wait, TMP. Right.
You mean throwing V'ger into the mix?
Old March 6 2014, 01:46 AM   #11
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post

- While we don't know the strength of NOMAD's full shields, the tech was more advanced then Frd Tech (Basis: The Federation didn't have weapons that could propel energy bolts at Warp 15.)

- The Doomsday Machine's weapon, while effective, was able to be defflected multiple times by the 1701's shields, thus, NOMAD would survive shots from the DM's weapon as well.

- The DM's hull being pure Neutronium, probably could't be blasted through by NOMAD's energy bolts, and the 1701's shields (per Spock could take 5 of those bolts before collapsing,

So, given the above, why do I say NOMAD wins, as opposed to a stalemate of some sort?

Because, as shown in the TOS episode "The Changeling" NOMAD has the ability to interface with, and change/program/improve alien technology (as seen in the 1701 engine room when he alters the matter/anti-matter reactor to produce a speed of Warp 14 for the 1701.) Thus NOMAD could fly in range of the Doomsday Machine, and reprogram/repair/improve and TAKE CONTROL of the automated DM.

You make some good points, but the DM emits a large amount of subspace interference, and presumably radio interference. That might jam any attempt to reprogram it remotely. It might even be the purpose of the DM's jamming field.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:29 AM   #12
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post

...oh wait, TMP. Right.
You mean throwing V'ger into the mix?
If you want, but I figure V'ger's already sort of a hybrid of the two. It's got both smarts and sheer power.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post

You make some good points, but the DM emits a large amount of subspace interference, and presumably radio interference. That might jam any attempt to reprogram it remotely. It might even be the purpose of the DM's jamming field.
Possibly, but remember, the 1701 was able to clean up the interference locally (one BM shot damaged their subspace comm ); so, again, with NOMAD being of a higher tech then the 1701; unles the DM got a lucky shot on it, it should have no issues with short rage comms. VS the DM.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:54 PM   #14
feek61
Captain

Interesting thought; I'm not sure since Nomads weapons were energy weapons they may well indeed have been rendered inert by the DM. A scarier thought for the Federation is if Nomad MERGED with the DM (like it did with the alien probe). That would cause some problems!!!
Old March 6 2014, 07:46 PM   #15
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Granted that it's up to the author how it goes down, but for me, given what Nomad did to the Enterprise's engines with a wave of its wand, Nomad seems quite subspace field capable, and I would not consider him seriously impeded by the DM's energy dampening field.