Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "Charlie X"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 2 7.14%
6 3 10.71%
7 13 46.43%
8 8 28.57%
9 2 7.14%
10 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1 2014, 04:59 AM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week : Charlie X

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Speaking of the Antares, is Captain Ramart a bit of a coward? To offload Charlie onto a ship with 430 people doesn't seem very Starfleet. Or was the Antares not part of the fleet? It's hard to tell in these early episodes. I suppose you could argue Charlie's control of the Antares and its crew was total, and the only time he could warn Kirk was via a distress call when Charlie was 'out of range' or distracted.
No, Ramart's not a coward. It's obvious that Charlie has them under his control the moment they beam aboard. Ramart had no free will at all until they were out of Charlie's range.

Charlie later says, "Running the Antares was easy."
Old March 1 2014, 05:11 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Speaking of the Antares, is Captain Ramart a bit of a coward? To offload Charlie onto a ship with 430 people doesn't seem very Starfleet. Or was the Antares not part of the fleet? It's hard to tell in these early episodes. I suppose you could argue Charlie's control of the Antares and its crew was total, and the only time he could warn Kirk was via a distress call when Charlie was 'out of range' or distracted.
That's actually addressed in Justman's (now infamous, I suppose) second season memo about the Starfleet emblem:

Doubtless this situation has arisen due to the fact that a different Starship emblem was used last season on “CHARLIE X”. However, the personnel of that other ship in that show were the equivalent of merchant marine or freighter personnel — and therefore not entitled to bear this proud insignia on their individual and collective breasts.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:02 AM   #18
CrazyMatt
Commander

A good, solid 7. One of the better episodes in a strong first season.

That scene with the faceless girl really freaked my out for years...
Old March 1 2014, 06:43 AM   #19
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Yeah, I freaked out to the woman with no face as a kid, and the ending is very well put together. I also love Charlie's outfits and the verisimilitude of the Antares uniforms. Kirk's man-to-man talk with Charlie is also a high point. This episode gets a lot of crap from fans, but I really love it. In between the two pilots over all, so:

Old March 1 2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
That's actually addressed in Justman's (now infamous, I suppose) second season memo about the Starfleet emblem:

Doubtless this situation has arisen due to the fact that a different Starship emblem was used last season on “CHARLIE X”. However, the personnel of that other ship in that show were the equivalent of merchant marine or freighter personnel — and therefore not entitled to bear this proud insignia on their individual and collective breasts.
There you go. Thanks Harvey.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Kirk's man-to-man talk with Charlie is also a high point.
I agree -it sure was. It's hard not to feel sorry for Charlie here. Who hasn't loved a girl like that when they were seventeen or thereabouts? And, usually, she doesn't feel the same way. Robert Walker Jr is excellent in this scene and this episode, and so is Shatner.

KIRK: Charlie, there are a million things in this universe you can have and there are a million things you can't have. It's no fun facing that, but that's the way things are.
CHARLIE: Then what am I going to do?
KIRK: Hang on tight and survive. Everybody does.
Good stuff, D.C. Fontana and GR
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 12:59 PM   #21
2takesfrakes
Commodore

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
"When I came aboard!!!!!"

Sorry, someone had to say it...

Not a favorite. The rec room scene goes on FAR too long and Uhura gets not one, but two AWFUL songs to warble.
HA HA HA!!! It's funny, because it's true.
2takesfrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 03:10 PM   #22
Lance
Commodore

I like the episode. I think it's got a lot of merits. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't admit I have got some reservations about it. Perhaps its a little too close 'tonally' to Where No Man Has Gone Before in places for my liking, and while Man As God is not to become an unfamiliar trope in Star Trek, the episode's proximity to the pilot broadcast-wise does hurt it in that regard. But in many other ways I adore Charlie X, and have genuine praise for it. I like the ways it differentiates itself from WNMHGB. Kirk as a "father figure" to an errant boy Tarzan (basically), brining him back up to speed on his own people, is a pretty neat idea. And some of the images in the episode (particularly when Charlie goes on the rampage) are so stark as to be genuinely chilling, even today.

But yeah. Charle X is very much an ice cream of two flavors, to coin a phrase.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 03:02 PM   #23
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

9 our of 10. Solid, dramatic ST, and continuing to build on Kirk's fine line between a caring man, and to the point leader, which are often incompatible.

scotpens wrote: View Post
I like the rec room scene with Uhura singing. It's part of the byplay and banter among the regular cast that we saw early in the first season, which fleshed out the characters and made them more human.
Agreed--very necessary, so the audience would feel for the characters' struggles not only with Charlie, but in episodes to come. For all of his unemotional platform, Spock is revealed to get along quite well with Uhura and Rand, which gives us another side to his humanity (not triggered by external influence as in The Naked Time).

I love McCoy's manuver to pass the "father" responsibility to Kirk--almost as if he's trying to force his friend to admit he has such feelings.
Old March 2 2014, 04:03 PM   #24
feek61
Captain

To me just an average episode. This one creeped me out and gave me nightmares for YEARS after I first saw it when it originally aired. That woman without a face had an impact on my early life, lol.

I would rate it a solid 7. An interesting episode with a twist at the end but not a great episode IMO.
Old March 3 2014, 12:01 PM   #25
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
"When I came aboard!!!!!"

Sorry, someone had to say it...

Not a favorite. The rec room scene goes on FAR too long and Uhura gets not one, but two AWFUL songs to warble. For better use of her talents, I prefer The Conscience of the King.

Otherwise, it's really just a Star Trek remake of The Twilight Zone's "It's a Good Life" or a coming of age version of WNMHGB. Good performances and some really chilling stuff (the faceless woman is right out of Rod Serling's bag of tricks). I give it a 5 for chills, but otherwise, as the second episode aired, it falls far short of what I tune into Star Trek to see.

Trivia: this is the only episode of the series proper not to use a single clip of the "series" Enterprise model. All shots of the ship are from the two pilots.

I think that's right about "Charlie X" being a derivative story, but it's very hard to come up with this stuff.

I read somewhere the young Robert Walker, Jr. was a "serious" actor like Leonard Nimoy, in that he kept the character in his head all day, to the point of not being sociable with the other actors because Charlie had to feel alienated from them.

The lack of new Enterprise footage (and no Antares model) is related to why "Charlie X" was Fred Steiner's first ST score. He scored "Mudd's Women" and "The Corbomite Maneuver" after CX, despite their having been filmed prior to it, apparently because CX was assembled so much faster than the other two.

Steiner did a great job, obviously. I especially like "Kirk's "Command" and "Goodbye Charlie," but I could live without the synth whine in the the latter cue. It's still a landmark in the history of ST music, though.

Gene Roddenberry has a voice cameo as the chef who called the captain. I wonder if the Thasians turned the real turkeys back into meatloaf as part of their effort to make things right.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 02:33 PM   #26
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Just to clarify, I don't dislike the rec room scene; I just feel it goes on too long. Cut a song and it's fine (or make the songs less horrible).

It's a shame that scheduling and availability made it necessary to air this and the similar WNMHGB back to back the first time out. Also, originally Gene Roddenberry's "created by" credit was in the opening credits in this episode and The Man Trap (like the second and third seasons). This was removed for syndication, but restored for the DVD release. it was again lost for the Blu-Rays. One day I'm gonna get my wish and have a really perfect Star Trek video release. "A salesman's got to dream, boy."
Old March 4 2014, 10:40 PM   #27
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

I view this episode as one of the bona fide classics among the early episodes. A great deal of the reason for this is Robert Walker's performance. Walker appeared in several memorable tv guest roles of this era, but this might be the best performance he ever did. Walker's Charlie is vulnerable and menacing at the same time. And he really does give the impression of someone who has been alone all his life and suddenly finds himself thrust among fellow humans for the first time. Of course, I may remember this episode more fondly than most, because it happened to be the first Star Trek I ever saw, while still a wee lad.
Trivia note: How mn of you know that Walker starred in the 1972 Blob sequel?
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:32 AM   #28
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Robert Walker Jr. also had a substantial role in The Happening -- not the 2008 horror thriller, but the 1967 kidnapping-with-a-twist flick starring Anthony Quinn. Walker often seemed to get typecast as a nervous, troubled youth.
Old March 5 2014, 01:52 AM   #29
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

He also appeared in Easy Rider as a bearded hippie commune leader - completely and totally unrecognizable as Charlie.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 02:03 AM   #30
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I heard the CHARLIE X guy was the first Spider-Man on TV, is that true, does anybody know? He doesn't look big enough to fill out those spidey-tights, to me. But, I guess you'd just get a stuntman for that, anyway.
2takesfrakes is online now   Reply With Quote