RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 425
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Is It Yellow?
YES, it's yellow 5 18.52%
NO, a different color 14 51.85%
Hard to say 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 3 2014, 06:54 PM   #16
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Ilia's Yellow Blood.

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Sea cucumbers have yellow blood due to vanabin content - but vanabin is a vanadium-based pigment, not the oxygen transporter.
And, upon further research into the subject:
"Blood Plasma is the pale-yellow liquid component of blood that normally holds the blood cells in whole blood in suspension. It makes up about 55% of the body's total blood volume." Or, so says Wikipedia, at least ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 07:30 PM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

One possibility is that vanabin is toxic to predators, so Deltan blood carrys vanabin as a defense mechanisum. Predators learned over time to steer clear of Humanoid Deltans no matter how hungry they were.

Poison blood.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 07:57 PM   #18
urbandefault
Captain

dub wrote: View Post
I always thought that effect on the poster was an artistic take on beaming up.
Possibly. Here's the trailer (watch at 1:56):

Then again, the warp trails are rainbow colored. Could mean anything, or could mean nothing.
Old March 4 2014, 10:47 PM   #19
Shat Happens
Captain

Hey, that's not the original poster art!? compare:

why is that?

BTW, I've no problem with Ilia having yellow blood. Can any color be discerned in the examination scene?
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:12 AM   #20
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Ilia looks a lot cuter in the Jornada version ... not to knock Bob Peak's original design, because I think it's brilliant! But yeah, she looks really good in the other one.
Old March 5 2014, 12:15 AM   #21
2takesfrakes
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
One possibility is that vanabin is toxic to predators, so Deltan blood carrys vanabin as a defense mechanisum. Predators learned over time to steer clear of Humanoid Deltans no matter how hungry they were.

Poison blood.

BUT ... but ... what of her powers to HEAL? How can she be poison to a hungry predator and yet ... be the very medicine Chekov so urgently needed when V'ger decided he didn't like the looks of him and gave him a zap?! There does seem to be a bit of a discrepency, here: Poison ... or Cure? I'm having a hard time reconciling the two, right now. But I'm looking your way ... you've hooked me with your tall tale. Sell me on it ...
Old March 5 2014, 01:31 AM   #22
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Poison ... or Cure? I'm having a hard time reconciling the two, right now. But I'm looking your way ... you've hooked me with your tall tale. Sell me on it ...
Just as a small amount of salt is fine for us - even necessary - but deadly to a slug, obviously the poison in the Deltans' blood is poisonous to the predators of their native world, but is beneficial to humans. Or, just as some anti-venoms require venom to make, there was something McCoy could synthesize from her blood.

Last edited by USS Triumphant; March 5 2014 at 01:50 AM.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 01:55 AM   #23
2takesfrakes
Commodore

USS Triumphant, your argument is very persuasive. I find myself being swayed. You know, it's such a shame that Persis Khambatta passed away. What a sweet, sweet beauty. How old would she be now, anyway? Approaching Seventy, maybe? I wonder if she would've ended up as a fixture at STAR TREK Conventions? I never hear about Stephen Collins going to any and what's he done since Seventh Heaven? A guest spot here ... there ... ? There's an empty seat at table and the place card is saying to me: Stephen Collins! And I hope the first question he gets asked is: "What colour was Ilia's blood?"
Old March 5 2014, 02:13 AM   #24
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

There's an empty seat at table and the place card is saying to me: Stephen Collins! And I hope the first question he gets asked is: "What colour was Ilia's blood?"
"You, there. Have you ever... kissed a girl?"

You know what kind of board this is, 2takesfrakes, and have for quite a while. Making sarcastic comments about it here is just kind of gauche, no? If you don't enjoy this sort of nitpicking, why read and post in this thread? Unless it's because you enjoy nitpicking the nerdiness of the nitpicking? I can appreciate that, but there are some here that you're going to remind a little too much of high school.
Old March 5 2014, 02:24 AM   #25
mos6507
Captain

Rainbows. They were big in the late 70s and early 80s. You had to be there.

That's all the significance there is to it. Purely aesthetic.
Old March 5 2014, 02:27 AM   #26
2takesfrakes
Commodore

You know what I want from you people, USS Triumphant? Warmth. Friendship. And Unconditional Acceptance!
Old March 5 2014, 02:58 AM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

BUT ... but ... what of her powers to HEAL? How can she be poison to a hungry predator and yet ... be the very medicine Chekov so urgently needed ...
Ilia didn't share her blood with Chekov, she used some form of mental ability to suppress his pain while Chapel was the one who actually healed his electrical burns.

Old March 5 2014, 03:25 AM   #28
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

You know what I want from you people, USS Triumphant? Warmth. Friendship. And Unconditional Acceptance!
Sure. Because "you people" always shows friendship and solidarity!

You know I'm just messing with you. We lurve you, mang.
Old March 5 2014, 05:56 AM   #29
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

USS Triumphant, your argument is very persuasive. I find myself being swayed. You know, it's such a shame that Persis Khambatta passed away. What a sweet, sweet beauty. How old would she be now, anyway? Approaching Seventy, maybe? I wonder if she would've ended up as a fixture at STAR TREK Conventions? I never hear about Stephen Collins going to any and what's he done since Seventh Heaven? A guest spot here ... there ... ? There's an empty seat at table and the place card is saying to me: Stephen Collins! And I hope the first question he gets asked is: "What colour was Ilia's blood?"
Persis Khambatta
Actress

Persis Khambatta was an Indian model, actress and author. She was best known for her role as Lieutenant Ilia in the 1979 feature film Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Wikipedia

Born: October 2, 1948, Mumbai, India
Died: August 18, 1998, Mumbai, India

So, she'd be 66.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 11:51 AM   #30
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

65?