Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2014, 03:15 AM   #106
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: The 86th Annual Academy Awards

gblews wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I thought the joke was hilarious, and Liza seemed to take it all in stride (she posed with Ellen in a selfie a short time later). The truth is that a lot of men dress as Liza, and Liza knows this. The joke was harmless in every way. The only newsmedia taking note are the gossip rags, and Twitterverse Faux Outrage patrol who repeatedly insist Liza was upset, and that she was angry, even though they have nothing to go on. The video shows Liza a bit shocked, but amused. Her sister was certainly laughing.
I thought the point of the joke was that Ellen was saying that Liza looked like a dude. Was that not what Ellen was saying? Did I miss, or misread the point of the joke?
The point of the joke is that many men dress up in drag as Liza Minnelli, and she considered this Liza "impersonator" to be the best she's ever seen, and she congratulated "him." Keep in mind, that Liza, along with Judy Garland (her mother), are huge icons in the LGBT community. While I'm a member of the LGBT community, you don't have to be to get the joke. It was harmless, and Liza did laugh once she thought it through. Note the people next to her:

Anyone who says the audience wasn't laughing, or that crickets were chirping, has an axe to grind and is lying.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:41 AM   #107
Agent Richard07
Retired

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Ellen had the pizza guy on her show today.
Somehow I thought she might use the money in the hat as a tip. Then sure enough...
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:12 AM   #108
Grumpy Grinch
Rear Admiral

Had to like Bill Murray's

“We forgot one,” Murray said after he and actress Amy Adams read out the category’s nominees. “Harold Ramis, for Caddyshack, Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day.”
Old March 4 2014, 11:55 AM   #109
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Surprised that American Hustle didn't win anything.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 09:17 PM   #110
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

View Gingerbread Girl's Twitter Profile

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
And I'm with all who are unable to understand how a movie as brilliantly acted as American Hustle, could get shut out of the acting awards.

Yeah, totally. I adored that movie. Just so much fun! Guess it came out the wrong year though. Would have liked to have seen it win for best costuming. Loved the vibe and the setting.
The costumes and set design for AH were perfect. I still can't believe the hair/makeup people weren't nominated at all- Christian Bale's combover and Jeremy Renner's Elvis do (his real hair with fake sideburns) were Oscar worthy by themselves!

As for the acting, I loved the performances, but this year the other nominees were just too strong. Amy Adams' time is coming, don't worry. Bale and Lawrence already have Oscars. And I'm still pissed that Renner was snubbed. He gave a much better performance than Cooper, it was the most "real" and honest of all of them. Too bad most of his scenes were cut to make room for more Lawrence. I can't wait to see the deleted scenes on Blu-Ray!
Old March 4 2014, 09:57 PM   #111
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Apparnetly Liza didn't find Ellen's joke funny at all and is offended:

Liza Minnelli didn't like the joke Ellen DeGeneres cracked about her at the Oscars ... suggesting she was actually a drag queen.

Liza and a male companion hit up Craig's restaurant in West Hollywood Monday night ... and Liza made it clear -- Ellen's joke backfired big time.

Liza's note to Ellen: She should have stopped and acknowledged they were friends, but instead Ellen blew through to the next joke, so it sounded mean.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:35 PM   #112
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Apparnetly Liza didn't find Ellen's joke funny at all and is offended:

Liza Minnelli didn't like the joke Ellen DeGeneres cracked about her at the Oscars ... suggesting she was actually a drag queen.

Liza and a male companion hit up Craig's restaurant in West Hollywood Monday night ... and Liza made it clear -- Ellen's joke backfired big time.

Liza's note to Ellen: She should have stopped and acknowledged they were friends, but instead Ellen blew through to the next joke, so it sounded mean.
Did you watch the video? She did say that she went a little too far on the joke, but that she meant well, she and Ellen are good friends, and she still thought Ellen was very funny.

Really, don't fall for the bait, DT.

Old March 4 2014, 10:43 PM   #113
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Did you watch the video? She did say that she went a little too far on the joke, but that she meant well, she and Ellen are good friends, and she still thought Ellen was very funny.

i think Liza like most people don't like to be the butt of a joke on worldwide TV and even though she thought Ellen didn't mean anything buy it - the joke went to far.

I think that's reasonable. Since Liza wasn't up an award, I think it's odd the Degenres would pick on her regardless to make a, 'ha-ha.'
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:52 PM   #114
Santa Claus
Believe

i think Liza like most people don't like to be the butt of a joke on worldwide TV and even though she thought Ellen didn't mean anything buy it - the joke went to far.

I think that's reasonable. Since Liza wasn't up an award, I think it's odd the Degenres would pick on her regardless to make a, 'ha-ha.'
Liza Minnelli is the daughter of Judy Garland, who was in The Wizard of Oz, and this year was the 75th anniversary of the movie, The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland, who was the mother of Liza Minnelli, who was going to be a presenter that night.

Seriously, though, don't buy into the drama, there's nothing there.

Old March 4 2014, 11:34 PM   #115
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Liza Minnelli is the daughter of Judy Garland, who was in The Wizard of Oz, and this year was the 75th anniversary of the movie, The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland, who was the mother of Liza Minnelli, who was going to be a presenter that night.

Seriously, though, don't buy into the drama, there's nothing there.
I don't think anyone here is saying it is a big deal, just that the joke (the way it was written and delivered) left itself open to being thought of as "in bad taste", IMO. And just to clear the record, I never bought into any drama, I didn't read anything on Twitter or anywhere else. My take on the joke came strictly from what I heard and saw during the live telecast.

BTW, I think the joke was badly written and badly delivered -- something that is a bit surprising considering that Ellen is a veteran comic. But I can also accept (and be glad) that Ellen didn't intend to inuslt or hurt Liza.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:37 PM   #116
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

The tribute to film heroes, as in previous montages, paid full honors to Norma Rae, Atticus Finch, and of course Ren from FOOTLOOSE.
Old March 5 2014, 12:09 AM   #117
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I didn't see the show but this is the sort of thing where the controversy is more invented by the media than actually exists between the celebrities.

If you get offended when somebody makes jokes at your expense you shouldn't become famous.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 01:51 AM   #118
Santa Claus
Believe

I don't think anyone here is saying it is a big deal, just that the joke (the way it was written and delivered) left itself open to being thought of as "in bad taste", IMO. And just to clear the record, I never bought into any drama, I didn't read anything on Twitter or anywhere else. My take on the joke came strictly from what I heard and saw during the live telecast.

BTW, I think the joke was badly written and badly delivered -- something that is a bit surprising considering that Ellen is a veteran comic. But I can also accept (and be glad) that Ellen didn't intend to inuslt or hurt Liza.
Oh, that I understand. I think she fired and missed slightly. I think overall that the joke worked, but maybe taking an extra second to wink at Liza to blunt it for her would have been best. It's the drama surrounding it that annoys me. Liza and Ellen have been friends for ages, and have worked together for a number of causes. I think it caught Liza more off guard than anything else, and being Liza, she took it in stride, knowing Ellen meant no harm.

Old March 5 2014, 02:54 AM   #119
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

I watched Gravity last night, and all I can say is that Sandra deserves the Oscar, should she get it.
But she won't ,and didn't because the Academy voters really don't care about SF&F (unless a nominated movie becomes too big to ignore, as this one was.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 11:53 AM   #120
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Bullock acted damn well, but I also feel that Blanchett deserved the Oscar.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote