RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,358
Posts: 5,503,180
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 565
Newest member: almehtabshaikh

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 4 2014, 06:46 PM   #1921
Levi
Lieutenant Commander
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Location: Earth Space Dock
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Don't know how I feel about this. I believe it was already mentioned, but I've never liked the Superman/Batman pair. Why would Superman need Batman's help? And I don't think they even exists in the same universe, do they? I always thought that pairing up seemed kinda off IMO.
I suppose at the very least however, the movie could be cool to see on a big HDTV. MoS was a very visually pleasing movie. I could see the same being for this new one as well. But unless they come up with some amazing way to bring the two together I don't think I could enjoy the movie with that gnawing away at the back of my head lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:49 PM   #1922
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

davejames wrote: View Post
Although to be fair they also ignored Keaton's Batman.
And Shatner's Kirk.
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 07:23 PM   #1923
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Levi wrote: View Post
And I don't think they even exists in the same universe, do they?
They do in the comics. Very much so. And they have done so in animation, too. This will be the first time they're on screen together in a live action movie.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:30 PM   #1924
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Oscar's Hero Montage

Strangely there is A LOT of MOS in this video. They even use Russell Crowe's speech as Jor-El in it. Strange indeed. Is WB trying to keep MOS in the public's mind or are they trying rebrand MOS image that has audiences and critics divided?
MOS was one of the biggest cinematic successes of last year. There may have been some criticism of the level of destruction, but the general audience has not given the film the same type of analyses that we have given it on boards like these. Superman is still a hero, and the idea behind the film was that he was an ordinary guy on the inside that stood up for what was right, which was the point of the montage.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:34 PM   #1925
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

theenglish wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Oscar's Hero Montage

Strangely there is A LOT of MOS in this video. They even use Russell Crowe's speech as Jor-El in it. Strange indeed. Is WB trying to keep MOS in the public's mind or are they trying rebrand MOS image that has audiences and critics divided?
MOS was one of the biggest cinematic successes of last year. There may have been some criticism of the level of destruction, but the general audience has not given the film the same type of analyses that we have given it on boards like these. Superman is still a hero, and the idea behind the film was that he was an ordinary guy on the inside that stood up for what was right, which was the point of the montage.
I don't know about that. This is all anecdotal, but I know quite a few non-geeky types in real life who disliked Man of Steel. In fact, the only person I know who liked the film is a hardcore comic book geek.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:36 PM   #1926
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I sat and watched it with both my Mother and wife, neither of whom are comic book geeks, and they both liked it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:40 PM   #1927
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I sat and watched it with both my Mother and wife, neither of whom are comic book geeks, and they both liked it.
I saw it with my non comic book geek sister and she liked it too. A lot of the negative comments I've seen around the internet comes from the hard core comic geeks.
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:44 PM   #1928
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't know about that. This is all anecdotal, but I know quite a few non-geeky types in real life who disliked Man of Steel. In fact, the only person I know who liked the film is a hardcore comic book geek.
The metrics that measure audience response are broad and not fully satisfying, but they beat anecdotal evidence by a long shot, and they indicate that the general audience mostly liked Man of Steel, certainly more than critics did.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:57 PM   #1929
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't know about that. This is all anecdotal, but I know quite a few non-geeky types in real life who disliked Man of Steel. In fact, the only person I know who liked the film is a hardcore comic book geek.
The metrics that measure audience response are broad and not fully satisfying, but they beat anecdotal evidence by a long shot, and they indicate that the general audience mostly liked Man of Steel, certainly more than critics did.
And what metrics would those be?
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:04 PM   #1930
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't know about that. This is all anecdotal, but I know quite a few non-geeky types in real life who disliked Man of Steel. In fact, the only person I know who liked the film is a hardcore comic book geek.
The metrics that measure audience response are broad and not fully satisfying, but they beat anecdotal evidence by a long shot, and they indicate that the general audience mostly liked Man of Steel, certainly more than critics did.
And what metrics would those be?
Ticket sales, perhaps? Although not the hit wanted by the studio, several end of year articles listed MoS as being the financial highlight of the film season.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:07 PM   #1931
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
And what metrics would those be?
A Cinemascore (which is an exit poll of opening weekend audiences) of A-.

An IMDB user score of 7.4 from over 350,000 users.

A Rotten Tomatoes user score of 76% from over 400,000 users.

None of those are fully satisfactory measures, but they're the best we have and better than mere anecdotes. The user ratings are self-selecting, but at least they have a very large number of participants and are therefore a better measure than the far smaller self-selected hodgepodge of fandom message board posts.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:44 PM   #1932
Cookies and Cake
Admiral
 
Location: North America
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

For films that people think are suxor, word of mouth tends to spread pretty fast, and they tend to bomb at the box office. Large ticket sales are, with very high probability, not for films with mostly dissatisfied audiences.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Cookies and Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 01:41 AM   #1933
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Yeah I think it's a stretch to say audiences were "divided" over the film. Obviously the critics and hardcore fans were divided, but the general audience probably either liked it or thought it was just a decently entertaining summer action flick.

Unlike us, most people just don't have the time or energy to get all worked up about a superhero movie, or obsess over every detail like we do. And as you can see from the Cinemascores every week, they generally tend to like a movie more than the critics and fanboys do anyway.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 04:44 AM   #1934
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
And what metrics would those be?
A Cinemascore (which is an exit poll of opening weekend audiences) of A-.

An IMDB user score of 7.4 from over 350,000 users.

A Rotten Tomatoes user score of 76% from over 400,000 users.

None of those are fully satisfactory measures, but they're the best we have and better than mere anecdotes. The user ratings are self-selecting, but at least they have a very large number of participants and are therefore a better measure than the far smaller self-selected hodgepodge of fandom message board posts.
Yea, approx 75% for IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes General Audiences, isn't the most glowing of reviews, but, it's still 3 out of 4, and add the CinemaScore A- Exit Polling, plus, the $600M+ Box office take, and it looks pretty successful/appreciated to me
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; March 5 2014 at 04:18 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:09 AM   #1935
Cookies and Cake
Admiral
 
Location: North America
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Sindatur wrote: View Post
$600K+
$600M+
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Cookies and Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.