RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,107
Posts: 5,432,706
Members: 24,932
Currently online: 585
Newest member: Cani

TrekToday headlines

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 1 2014, 02:59 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
I thought that the interaction between Pavel and Pavelona to be cute...
I think that should be Pavla. At least it is in Czech.


(I would have used the name "T'Spock" for Fem!Spock)
I think it would be T'Pok instead. I've always figured that when Theodore Sturgeon coined the names T'Pring and T'Pau in "Amok Time," he was assuming that Vulcan male names began with S and female names began with T. But "Spock" and "Stonn" weren't spelled with apostrophes because those letter blends occur in English, whereas "tp" doesn't (except in the middle of a compound word like "hotplate," say).


If there is one real complaint, Fem!Khan should have been called "Rani", which is the female equivalent to "Khan".
No, Rani is the female equivalent of Raja. Khan is a Central Asian title used as a Muslim surname; it's not actually an Indian name at all (nor is Noonien, which is Chinese). The female form of the title Khan is Khanum, so perhaps she would've been named Khanum Noonien Kaur (the standard Sikh female surname, as Singh is the standard male one).
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander
 
Malaika's Avatar
 
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

I liked this comic
it was crack on purpose, I think, and funny.
the best part was Spock/Uhura & Spock/Uhuro meeting and the way the two Uhura facepalm together because of the two Spock FemaleSpock staring at Uhura and making comparisons between her and her boyfriend was priceless.

I would have loved to see an interaction between McCoy and his double, though!
__________________
Kirk: So her first name's Nyota?
Spock: I have no comment on the matter.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:56 PM   #18
dswynne1
Lieutenant
 
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Christopher wrote: View Post
dswynne1 wrote: View Post
I thought that the interaction between Pavel and Pavelona to be cute...
I think that should be Pavla. At least it is in Czech.


(I would have used the name "T'Spock" for Fem!Spock)
I think it would be T'Pok instead. I've always figured that when Theodore Sturgeon coined the names T'Pring and T'Pau in "Amok Time," he was assuming that Vulcan male names began with S and female names began with T. But "Spock" and "Stonn" weren't spelled with apostrophes because those letter blends occur in English, whereas "tp" doesn't (except in the middle of a compound word like "hotplate," say).


If there is one real complaint, Fem!Khan should have been called "Rani", which is the female equivalent to "Khan".
No, Rani is the female equivalent of Raja. Khan is a Central Asian title used as a Muslim surname; it's not actually an Indian name at all (nor is Noonien, which is Chinese). The female form of the title Khan is Khanum, so perhaps she would've been named Khanum Noonien Kaur (the standard Sikh female surname, as Singh is the standard male one).
Thanks for the correction.

DSW
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 03:36 PM   #19
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

So, the story is about an interdimensional intersection, and the two Enterprises join forces to return to their respective realms?

Do we get so see the Fem!Enterprise, or any other ships? The sneak peek implies an Enterprise crewed by angry Klingons but we only see a corridor with shadowy figures.
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 11:30 PM   #20
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander
 
Sto-Vo-Kory's Avatar
 
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Markonian wrote: View Post
Do we get so see the Fem!Enterprise, or any other ships? The sneak peek implies an Enterprise crewed by angry Klingons but we only see a corridor with shadowy figures.
Yes, to both of the above questions, briefly.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

I found an image of the alternate alternate-reality Enterprise in the sneak peak. It looks the same as the AR Constitution-class, except for the eerily red bussard collectors.

So, except the two Enterprises and a shuttlecraft, I gather we don't get to see any more ships in Parallel Lives?
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

I think the story had no chance to gain traction. It should have been a longer story where there was something else to explore like another long-dead trapped ship or alien object, to give the characters the chance to work together in a coherent way. It was a shame that the McCoys didn't get the chance to bond.

It's a minor thing given how short the story was but the 'female' universe made use of a male Rand and male Marcus, and added in a male admiral i.e. added in additional males from the lower tier supporting cast, but then put no effort into featuring any of the female versions on the NuEnterprise. Of course by that point they had double the number of characters to fit in but even so, it's ironic that in a story where they could have featured total equality of the sexes, they still had a male admiral and still had three more men than women. Sigh.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:31 PM   #23
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I think the story had no chance to gain traction. It should have been a longer story where there was something else to explore like another long-dead trapped ship or alien object, to give the characters the chance to work together in a coherent way. It was a shame that the McCoys didn't get the chance to bond.

It's a minor thing given how short the story was but the 'female' universe made use of a male Rand and male Marcus, and added in a male admiral i.e. added in additional males from the lower tier supporting cast, but then put no effort into featuring any of the female versions on the NuEnterprise. Of course by that point they had double the number of characters to fit in but even so, it's ironic that in a story where they could have featured total equality of the sexes, they still had a male admiral and still had three more men than women. Sigh.
Absolute numerical parity is a poor gauge of equality of the sexes. It rather smacks of tokenism. This two part comic book story is hardly a ground-breaking exercise in the promotion of equality of the sexes, but, within its scope, is rather a difficult one to criticize on that score (there are many other flaws more deserving of criticism).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:38 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I think the story had no chance to gain traction. It should have been a longer story where there was something else to explore like another long-dead trapped ship or alien object, to give the characters the chance to work together in a coherent way.
Totally agreed. There was no real mystery, no real conflict, no real problem. Just two ships meeting, the characters meeting, and then the characters parting. No one learned anything valuable.

The only thing I could figure is that this was set-up for a story maybe a year down the road, where we needed the opposite sex characters introduced now so that when the two crews meet again they've had time to process the multiverse. The appearance by Mirror TOS Kirk and TNG Geordi might mean a "Crisis on Infinite Earths"-style story is in the offing.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:25 PM   #25
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

I'd like to add that we haven't seen any of the cool new crewmembers from STID in the comics - Dawkins, the brig guard, Madeline and the woman with spiky white hair. Only 0718 is (finally) about to make an appearance in the next issue.

Also, why does Starfleet have to be so infested with Humans in the new timeline? We couldy easily have more variety and get some background of new species like the Kelvin's Cygnian (?) or Madeline's people.

Any chances we might get a novel series after the Alternate Reality Trilogy is concluded? There are so many fascinating concepts and characters left to be explored. We never had a fully functional parallel universe with a Federation before, only glimpses into various universes, no single coherent one. (The mirror universe(s) only gains a Federation-lookalike in the final issue.)

Anyway, the new universe is visually appealing.
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 01:06 AM   #26
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Markonian wrote: View Post
I'd like to add that we haven't seen any of the cool new crewmembers from STID in the comics - Dawkins, the brig guard, Madeline and the woman with spiky white hair. Only 0718 is (finally) about to make an appearance in the next issue.

Also, why does Starfleet have to be so infested with Humans in the new timeline? We couldy easily have more variety and get some background of new species like the Kelvin's Cygnian (?) or Madeline's people.

Any chances we might get a novel series after the Alternate Reality Trilogy is concluded? There are so many fascinating concepts and characters left to be explored. We never had a fully functional parallel universe with a Federation before, only glimpses into various universes, no single coherent one. (The mirror universe(s) only gains a Federation-lookalike in the final issue.)

Anyway, the new universe is visually appealing.
The racial (species) mix of the crew is something I find frustrating. They are hamstrung by the fact that so many of the TOS crew were human but they could start to spread their wings a lot more than they have.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of them featuring visually interesting one-shot aliens when there are so many pre-existing races to develop. But I'm also a bit of a hypocrite. Why have we had 3 Orion crew-men (2 in the movie, including out-take, and one in the comics) when they are not members of the Federation and make great villains, but no Andorians or Tellarites who are founding members of the Federation? I'm also quite fond of the Zaranites, Saurians, and Arcturians from TMP or the Caitians, if they ret-con the dreadful shaved look from STiD to make them sexy. Bring in Ensign Ilia and lets explore her character too.

The difficulty is always going to be the number of characters they have to use. We want each of the Big 7 to get a look in more regularly than other supporting characters but it's also nice if Rand, Zahra, Marcus, Kai, and Keenser are featured a few times a year, and preferably with at least one meatier appearance. It's a tricky balance but they could definitely do more if they try to feature an alien guest crewman in each issue and just rotate them depending on the needs of the plot (so have alien helmsmen and navigators on hand when Chekov, Uhura, or Sulu are elsewhere etc - we already have Xon, Arex, M'Ress, and Ilia lined up after all).
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 01:14 AM   #27
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Ovation wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It's a minor thing given how short the story was but the 'female' universe made use of a male Rand and male Marcus, and added in a male admiral i.e. added in additional males from the lower tier supporting cast, but then put no effort into featuring any of the female versions on the NuEnterprise. Of course by that point they had double the number of characters to fit in but even so, it's ironic that in a story where they could have featured total equality of the sexes, they still had a male admiral and still had three more men than women. Sigh.
Absolute numerical parity is a poor gauge of equality of the sexes. It rather smacks of tokenism. This two part comic book story is hardly a ground-breaking exercise in the promotion of equality of the sexes, but, within its scope, is rather a difficult one to criticize on that score (there are many other flaws more deserving of criticism).
Trek has had forty years to get this right and it is still very sexist - or at least sexist for what its supposed to represent. And while I agree that absolute numerical parity is unnecessary, what we have at the moment is usually tokenism. It's why you always get 2-3 women in the cast of 9 characters and why many other female characters are bought in as love interests.

But you're right. It isn't the main problem with this particular story (Jane Kirk takes the lead most of the time) and there have been improvements since the comic franchise began (we have a female captain featured in Khan 5). Nonetheless, I thought it was interesting to note the attempt to feed in as many male counterparts as possible in the female universe. They even had Chapel in her/his only speaking part to date
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 05:33 PM   #28
British Khan
Ensign
 
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Markonian wrote: View Post
I'd like to add that we haven't seen any of the cool new crewmembers from STID in the comics - Dawkins, the brig guard, Madeline and the woman with spiky white hair. Only 0718 is (finally) about to make an appearance in the next issue.

Also, why does Starfleet have to be so infested with Humans in the new timeline? We couldy easily have more variety and get some background of new species like the Kelvin's Cygnian (?) or Madeline's people.

Any chances we might get a novel series after the Alternate Reality Trilogy is concluded? There are so many fascinating concepts and characters left to be explored. We never had a fully functional parallel universe with a Federation before, only glimpses into various universes, no single coherent one. (The mirror universe(s) only gains a Federation-lookalike in the final issue.)

Anyway, the new universe is visually appealing.
Well maybe some of the humans we see are actually aliens that look human.
British Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 08:57 PM   #29
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

British Khan wrote: View Post
Well maybe some of the humans we see are actually aliens that look human.
In a TV show with make-up and time constraints, you can understand that but in a comic it's a terrible excuse!
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:16 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
In a TV show with make-up and time constraints, you can understand that but in a comic it's a terrible excuse!
Tell that to the Kryptonians, Rannians, Thanagarians, Shi'ar (aside from the feather-hair), pink Kree, Galadorians, etc.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
comics, parallel, trek, villordsutch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.