RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 589
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2014, 08:22 PM   #436
Scout101
Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Or it could be "The Mother"'s mom died before their wedding (Ted & "The Mother"). Or refused to come to the wedding.
I dunno, but the way Ted broke down and cried immediately, and the Mother quickly changed the topic kinda implied it was more personal to Ted than her. Either his mother died, or the Mother was going to die before the kid's wedding. Or Ted, i suppose, but not quite as clean to the lines.

Not to say continuity is perfect or anything, but haven't there been a couple of episodes with flashes of OLD Ted, Marshall, Lily, etc? Can't remember the episode, but there were together on a porch for at least one bit I recall. Thought they all appear older than Ted does in the most recent viewings with the Mother. Of course she didn't appear, as it was before this season. If you assume that's not being written over, more credence towards Ted being ok, and the Mother dying...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 08:36 PM   #437
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Scout101 wrote: View Post

Not to say continuity is perfect or anything, but haven't there been a couple of episodes with flashes of OLD Ted, Marshall, Lily, etc? Can't remember the episode, but there were together on a porch for at least one bit I recall. Thought they all appear older than Ted does in the most recent viewings with the Mother. Of course she didn't appear, as it was before this season.
Someone looked it up earlier and confirmed that the scene you're thinking of takes place in 2020 (four years before this flash-forward takes place.) Ted, Marshall, and Lily are "eating a sandwich" at their college reunion in "How I Met Everyone Else," (episode 305) and Ted belts out "Where's my wife?"

Here's a screencap from the HIMYM wiki:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...iches_2020.png

Wikipedia also has a summary of the future scenes, set in 2020:

At their college reunion in 2020, Ted is approached by a woman who tells him that she was the one he made out with at the Freshman party proving Marshall was correct (revealing that Ted and Lily met when Marshall introduced them the day after the party as Lily recalled). Later Ted, Marshall and Lily all sit down for a "sandwich" that Marshall confiscated and get high when Ted suddenly realizes he can't find his wife.
EDIT: Here are two better screencaps, from Netflix:

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 4 2014 at 09:21 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 09:20 PM   #438
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Maybe if the Mother is dead, he's telling the kids these stories right before he's remarrying his "best friend" Barney's widow, Robin
Old March 4 2014, 09:44 PM   #439
Scout101
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Someone looked it up earlier and confirmed that the scene you're thinking of takes place in 2020 (four years before this flash-forward takes place.) Ted, Marshall, and Lily are "eating a sandwich" at their college reunion in "How I Met Everyone Else," (episode 305) and Ted belts out "Where's my wife?"
Wasn't the scene I was thinking of. Like I said, they were outside sitting on a porch in the scene I'm thinking of, and thought they were older than that...

Different scene from that episode, maybe? haven't rewatched a lot of old ones outside occasional repeats on tv when I'm channel surfing.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old March 4 2014, 09:56 PM   #440
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

That's "The Front Porch" - Episode 417.

That was all theoretical on Lily's part. She was explaining to Ted and the group her "Front Porch Test," her way of sizing up each of Ted's various girlfriends to see how well they'd fit in with the group, and pointing out how bad a match Laura Prepon's character was for Ted, and later how mismatched Ted and Robin were.

You're right that they're all old (retirement age) in the flash forwards, but I don't think we saw any actual flash forwards to the front porch.

Here are a few screencaps, again from Netflix:

Again, here's a breakdown from Wikipedia of that episode:

Robin asks her friends if they would watch her talk show, which airs at 4:00 a.m., and the group reluctantly agrees to stay up and watch. When Ted turns up, he informs them that Karen (Laura Prepon) has broken up with him, after finding Robin's earring in Ted's bed. However, as everyone prepares to watch Robin's show, Ted discovers the matching earring of Robin's on Marshall's dresser and mutes the television to confront Marshall, believing him to have sabotaged his relationship with Karen.

As extreme events occur on Robin's show (she starts crying while showing a picture of the gang, she saves the host of the cooking segment when he catches fire, she resuscitates the weatherman after he's had a heart attack and finally she delivers a baby live on camera), still muted, Lily confesses that she has been breaking Ted up with girls who she didn't see passing the "Front Porch Test" — an indication of how they would all live together once they were old. A scene is shown of Marshall, Lily and Ted in the far future playing bridge (though clearly, none of them know how to play).

Robin returns from the show to learn the truth behind her break-up with Ted, which Lily insists she did not want to happen. Ted heads into the bar the next day to find Karen waiting, having had the situation explained to her by Lily. Karen hands Ted a letter from Lily, which contains an apology, and lets Ted know that Lily has prepared a fine dinner in Ted's apartment for him and Karen. Ted breaks up with Karen anyway after she says Ted cannot ever see Lily again and he imagines what the future would be like without her and Marshall. Returning to the apartment, Ted asks Robin to be his "plus one" and they enjoy the meal Lily prepared. They wonder whether or not they would still be together if not for Lily's intervention. Ted then makes a mock proposal to Robin, asking her to be his "backup wife". She accepts.

Meanwhile, Marshall wears a nightshirt to the pyjama party to watch Robin's show, while Barney wears a silk suit. Barney insists his clothing choice is superior, citing the possibility of attractive women coming to his home at night and seeing how good he looks, but then admits how unlikely that is and uncomfortable the "suitjamas" are. Marshall convinces Barney to try a nightshirt instead. Barney and Marshall delight in their nightshirts, having a dream about flying together in them. Barney starts wearing nightshirts to sleep. A week later, an attractive woman shows up at his apartment at night — but, upon seeing his nightshirt, she decides to leave, much to Barney's chagrin.
Having re-watched those scenes just now to make the screencaps, it's obvious in the episode itself that these are hypothetical flash-forwards from Lily and Ted's perspectives.
Old March 4 2014, 10:12 PM   #441
Scout101
Admiral

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Was just digging through the wikia and found that before heading back. And yeah, all hypothetical, so no points for me there. Although on the plus side, the memory fit: they were older than they've been shown so far, and they were outside on a porch
Old March 4 2014, 10:33 PM   #442
Scout101
Admiral

Only hope here is that the writers are playing with the people online that have been pushing the 'dead mother' theory over the years. Maybe she had an illness (say, cancer) in 2024 and there was a chance she wasn't going to make it, but eventually got better/cured/remission, so can still be there alive in 'present day'. lets them feed the fire a little, but doesn't put such a wet blanket on the series. They thought she might be dying, went to the inn to get away and spend time together, but don't have to kill her.

It being HIS mother that died just doesn't fit. They could have said what kind of parent misses their kid's wedding, but picked mother and daughter there, so that's the implication.

That, and the kids don't seem sad enough for the story to be after the mother's death. Plus, super inappropriate to spend most of the 9 year story about your dead mother by telling the kids about how you used to screw their Aunt Robin plus half the floozies in NYC. Not impossible they're going that route, but seems a bit off. Also, the son's reaction to Ted in the pilot episode when he says he's going to tell them the story is "is this going to take long?" which is a pretty cold/dick thing to say if your mother is dead and your dad wants to tell you a story about her...

Could be Robin that's dead, and references still fit. And why the story has so much Robin and not so much Mother. I know, path he took to get there, but little much of him nailing their aunt to be ok there. And if Robin somehow got pregnant and had a daughter, but died by 2030, she could be the one missing her daughter's wedding.

Or Ted has Alzheimer's. That's why he's telling the stories while he can, why the stories don't always line up right, and why the Mother told him to live for the future and not so much about the past.

I dunno, lots of ways to go, but hope it's just the writers teasing the Dead Mother crowd before moving away from it...
Old March 5 2014, 12:35 AM   #443
Mr Light
Admiral

I really, really hope the story doesn't end on a depressing note. This is still a sit-com.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:52 AM   #444
Campe98
Commodore

Breaking away from the "Is the Mother Dead?" storyline, there are some other questions that might be brought up by examining when the last time we've seen the major characters.
  • Ted - 2030 (vocally) - telling Penny and Luke the story ("Pilot" - "Rally" [no appearance in "Vesuvius"])
  • Ted - 2024 (physically) - A snowy night at the Farhampton Inn ("Vesuvius")
  • Marshall and Lily - 2029 - Marshall opens Lily's death letter ("We're Not From Here")
  • Barney and Robin - 2021 - The exploding meatball sub redux ("The Exploding Meatball Sub")
  • The Mother - 2024 - A snowy night at the Farhampton Inn ("Vesuvius")

Ted makes it to 2030. No questions there at all. He's telling the story and regardless as to his mental state, physically he's there. One can assume that Marshall and Lily do as well unless something major occurs in that year. The Mother, well, that's completely up in the air and while everything seems to suggest she might not make it to 2030, it's a big question mark. Then there's Robin and Barney. While there are somewhat contemporary mentions of Robin (the pictures the kids draw of her and apparently references to a trip to the zoo). Putting those into account Robin likely is still around in 2030 but Barney?

Well, where the hell is Barney? He's not referenced in the present tense in 2030 at all. Dead? Prison? Back to womanizing?

I'm not certain I'd be okay with the idea of killing off one of the major (not to mention most popular) characters of a comedy even if it is a plot point to get Ted and Robin together in the last episode. Sigh. I get a feeling I'm not going to like the final episode.
Old March 5 2014, 01:41 AM   #445
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Someone on another site made a great comment:

"Didn't Danny Tanner's wife die when her kids were young too? OMFG Ted is Danny. How I Met Your Mother is the prequel to Full House!"
Old March 5 2014, 01:47 AM   #446
Mr Light
Admiral

I rewatched the start of the episode. The waiter calls them "the Mosbys", talks to her, and touches her shoulder. So either they were both imaginary, or she wasn't a ghost!

Old March 5 2014, 03:58 AM   #447
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Wow this episode has provoked alot of conversation. As the weeks go by I'm getting more and more worried about seeing spoilers. I knew I would shun the internet during the 24 hours after the finale until I can watch it online, but now I am literally contemplating going offline for days or weeks beforehand. If I sm spoiled my heart will implode with the force of a collapsing black hole.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 04:31 AM   #448
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

LOL, what is it with you guys always speculating about deaths and diseases? Nobody dies, and nobody has Alzheimers.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:15 AM   #449
Mr Light
Admiral

The show goes maudlin sometimes. Lily left Marshall and moved to San Fran. Ted was left at the alter and completely crushed. Marshall's dad died. Lily and Marshall had that huge fight over the judge-ship. Mother's first true love died unexpectedly and she mourned him for years and years. Ted is still in love with Robin and is going to move to Chicago to get away from her.

Old March 5 2014, 12:14 PM   #450
shivkala
Rear Admiral

The other thing to consider - the show totally prepped Ted to go full Bob Saget, at least in terms of appearance. The hair, the sweater... as someone on one of the review blogs said, "I can totally see Danny Tanner there!"
Someone on another site made a great comment:

"Didn't Danny Tanner's wife die when her kids were young too? OMFG Ted is Danny. How I Met Your Mother is the prequel to Full House!"
It would explain why it's Bob Saget doing the narration, but I can't believe they picked him all those years ago just to narrate a show where eventually they'd reveal the mother had died.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Mother's first true love died unexpectedly and she mourned him for years and years.
Which would put her in the perfect place to prepare Ted (and the kids) for her death.

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Maybe if the Mother is dead, he's telling the kids these stories right before he's remarrying his "best friend" Barney's widow, Robin
It's a possibility. Have we seen Robin in the future (beyond last week's glimpse a year or so ahead)? Could possibly explain the kid's looks, if their mother has been dead a few years and they're hearing stories they've heard before (and, having grieved on their own, they could be bored instead of upset).

I think the thing that's really got us is the whole, bit about the mother not attending her daughter's wedding. None of the characters are in a position where they could have a daughter old enough to be getting married in 10 years. The line only works if they know of some other mother who wasn't going to attend their daughter's wedding and since the kids aren't old enough, the only possibility is that it's a reference to one of the characters we know dying.

It's a possibility that it's Robin who died, unless I'm missing a flash-forward somewhere showing her to be alive in the future past 2024. The mother could have taken Ted to the site where they met to remind him that his knowing Robin lead to them meeting, as a way of coping with the news of Robin's death (or life-threatening illness). That would explain the story he's telling the kids in 2030 (maybe right after she died or remembering her on the anniversary of her death). That would explain why the series began with how he met Robin, since it was at her wedding that Ted met their mother.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote