Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2014, 03:44 AM   #421
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

I'm going to be an emotional wreck during the last episode.
Old March 4 2014, 04:04 AM   #422
Campe98
Commodore

This final season has really turned the show into my new personal Lost. I find myself spending far too much time researching it online and thinking about it. I both hate and love the show for that. But if Lost taught me anything: it's that I don't know shit about predicting endings to shows.
Old March 4 2014, 04:50 AM   #423
Mr Light
Admiral

My assumption was that in 2024 Ted's mother died and that's what they were avoiding talking about.

I really, really hope it doesn't turn out Mother is dying of cancer or something, and it turns out the series framing device was Ted telling the kids how he met their dead mother. It just wouldn't fit the tone of the scenes and the bored insolent expression of the kids.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 05:36 AM   #424
Aldo
Admiral

I hope the Mother's not dead either. That's one of the fan theories I really despise. I suppose in some way it could make for good tv, but you're right. The kids tone in that first season (when they were still able to film them, lol) was definitely not that of hearing a story about their deceased Mother.
Old March 4 2014, 08:43 AM   #425
CorporalClegg
Admiral

On a lighter note, they couldn't have possibly done a better job casting Robin's mother.

Fucking brilliant.
Old March 4 2014, 09:12 AM   #426
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Tracy is playing it English?

Which makes Robin only half Canadian.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:11 AM   #427
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Aldo wrote: View Post
I hope the Mother's not dead either. That's one of the fan theories I really despise. I suppose in some way it could make for good tv, but you're right. The kids tone in that first season (when they were still able to film them, lol) was definitely not that of hearing a story about their deceased Mother.
Yeah, I'm hoping this was the writers playing with that theory and giving us a red herring otherwise I thought it was telegraphed too much what with making it to an old married couple, knowing each other's stories etc.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 01:24 PM   #428
Scout101
Admiral

Ugh, was just thinking it was Ted's mom that had died before HIS wedding. Would make things even tougher if the Mother was dying and knew she wasn't going to make it to the wedding of one of their kids. Her being worried about him living in the past, sudden and strong crying reaction when the 'what kind of mother doesn't make it to their kid's wedding' comment, jeez.

Of course, timeline there seems funny, unless that scene isn't part of the narrative Ted is telling the kids, but is just a glimpse past that point. Kids wouldn't really be old enough for a wedding, although possible I guess, and Ted and Mother look a little older than the date in the main story would suggest. Maybe we're just seeing further into the future, past the kids on the couch?

Either way, not liking the vibe this show is heading towards...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 01:33 PM   #429
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh god, I just had a terrible thought.

Ted having dinner with Mother was from Sixth Sense.

He was only imagining Mother being there. She's already dead.

That better not be true!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:03 PM   #430
Scout101
Admiral

heh, that would suck. Would have to rewatch, but thought the waiter was interacting with both of them, no?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:12 PM   #431
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I really, really hope it doesn't turn out Mother is dying of cancer.
But what if she's dying of cancer and she's out cooking meth to provide a legacy for Ted and the kids?
Old March 4 2014, 04:11 PM   #432
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

I'm leaning toward the Mother dying of some disease. I'd have to rewatch the scene, but I'm pretty sure the dialogue was "What kind of mother doesn't make it to her own daughter's wedding?" The gender specific nature of the comment makes me think it's about the Mother rather than Ted's mother. They know that she won't be there when their daughter gets married. I really hope I'm wrong, though. Yes, I know it's just a TV show, but after all of this, it just doesn't seem remotely right to leave Ted alone and heart-broken again.

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:28 PM   #433
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I agree that if we have to interpret the scene one way vs the other, the scene read to me as if Ted was broken up because The Mother (Cristin Milioti) was dying or that they knew she was going to die a lot sooner than they'd expected, and that this is why they were back at Farhampton (where Roger Bart recognizes them, referring to them both as "The Mosbys,") to get as much time together as possible.

It's interesting that there was no narration from Bob Saget Ted at all in this episode, so we can't really explain away with the whole "Ted's an unreliable narrator" excuse. In fact, now that I think about it, has Bob Saget narrated any of the flash forwards where we see Ted and The Mother as a couple? If not, it would seem to imply that what we're seeing is in fact the "raw, unedited" truth of the scenes not affected by Ted's narrating (i.e. events as they actually have happened.)

Even when the show did the whole "How Your Mother Met Me" episode, it wasn't The Mother narrating (the way Robin narrated in "Symphony of Illumination") but it was Ted. This, plus Ted's wish that he'd met the mother 45 days earlier than he did when he went to see Summer a few years ago seems to lend credence to the idea that Bob Saget Ted is telling his kids the story of how he met their mother because their mother has died/been dead for a while in the year 2030.

Dramatically, it would make perfect sense. A character like Ted, who spends 9 years searching for his true love, finds her, has his time with her, and then loses her tragically, would of course revel in being able to tell the tale to his kids. The Mother's line ("I don't want you to be the guy who lives in his stories. Life only moves forward.") would seem to support this, and we've seen from the brief snippets we've been given of their life together that she "gets" Ted more than any other woman he's been with.

Random other theory: (And, I think someone may have mentioned it already in this thread) - Is it possible Future Ted is telling his kids the story in 2030 via DVD? Is it possible he knew he was dying, and because he loved his wife and family, and his penchant for storytelling, he recorded as much of the story as he could before he finally died, (in 2024) and then, six years later, it's the Mother who plays the DVD for her kids so that they can understand how much Ted loved them all? It would certainly give added meaning to The Mother's aforementioned lines about living in his stories - perhaps that's even the catalyst for him to sit down and record the DVD? We've never actually seen Old Ted (as voiced by Bob Saget)

Total, random sidebar:
--Can't wait to see Robin's mom in action.
--Props to the writers for bringing back "Swarley."
--"Sue Tup." Brilliant!

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 4 2014 at 06:55 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 07:12 PM   #434
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Or it could be "The Mother"'s mom died before their wedding (Ted & "The Mother"). Or refused to come to the wedding.
Old March 4 2014, 07:25 PM   #435
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

The other thing to consider - the show totally prepped Ted to go full Bob Saget, at least in terms of appearance. The hair, the sweater... as someone on one of the review blogs said, "I can totally see Danny Tanner there!"