RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 470
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 2 2014, 03:22 PM   #601
Buck Bokai
Lieutenant

View Buck Bokai's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

How much does the galaxy know about the death of Darth Vader anyway? While I'm sure the Rebel Alliance/New Republic put out information on it, there are going to be "Vader truthers" out there that insist he's still alive on a backwater planet, waiting to return.

So if someone could find a suit of armor like Vader, he could pretend that Vader has been alive all this time, rallying former supporters to his side.....
Buck Bokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 05:04 PM   #602
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

They pulled the same shit with Thrawn.
Old March 2 2014, 08:29 PM   #603
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Buck Bokai wrote: View Post
So if someone could find a suit of armor like Vader, he could pretend that Vader has been alive all this time, rallying former supporters to his side.....
This was actually the original idea of Dark Empire.
Old March 3 2014, 09:40 PM   #604
billcosby
Commodore

I'd be a pretty happy camper if they would leave cloning out of the future of the Star Wars universe. Really enjoyed the PT, Clone Wars, etc but I'm all cloned out.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 09:44 PM   #605
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Well, even Lucas and his people once suggested that by the time of the OT cloning was no longer as common and a large percentage of the Imperial military was comprised of volunteers and recruits drawn from all across the Empire. I remember someone saying that by the time A New Hope rolls around perhaps just one-quarter of all the Clones bred on Kamino were still alive, and many of those were no longer considered combat-effective due to accelerated aging upon maturity and other degenerative factors originally programmed into them by the cloners.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:13 PM   #606
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, hard as I try I just cannot imagine the Stormtroopers of the OT being a bunch of clones. I know the concept has been around a while, but it still somehow seems a little too "21st century" for the classic, old-school scifi style of the OT.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:47 PM   #607
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure some aging Jango clones from the days of the Republic are still manning posts and landing platforms somewhere and telling stories about all the old battles they fought in, but by the time Luke rises to prominence and the Emperor and Vader are vanquished most of the Imperial troops seen in the original films are guys and gals who joined up because it paid well and it gave them a steady career, or because they genuinely believed in the cause and wanted to serve their Empire.

Old March 4 2014, 03:20 AM   #608
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I know the concept has been around a while
Since 1978, in fact.

cooleddie74 wrote:
I'm sure some aging Jango clones from the days of the Republic are still manning posts and landing platforms somewhere and telling stories about all the old battles they fought in
There's a clone in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor who's a veteran of the Clone Wars. Also, the narrator of the Rise of the Empire campaign in the Battlefront II video game is apparently a clone who survives all the way from Geonosis into the OT.
Old March 4 2014, 05:25 AM   #609
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I'm sure some aging Jango clones from the days of the Republic are still manning posts and landing platforms somewhere and telling stories about all the old battles they fought in, but by the time Luke rises to prominence and the Emperor and Vader are vanquished most of the Imperial troops seen in the original films are guys and gals who joined up because it paid well and it gave them a steady career, or because they genuinely believed in the cause and wanted to serve their Empire.
Most of the 501st the stormtroopers who engage the heroes in ANH and ESTB I think are suppose to be clones.
Old March 4 2014, 05:34 AM   #610
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Most of the 501st the stormtroopers who engage the heroes in ANH and ESTB I think are suppose to be clones.
Source?
Old March 4 2014, 05:41 AM   #611
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

The EU has gone back and forth. Before AotC the Thrawn trilogy portrayed cloning as something done by 'clonemasters' and the technology had been all but destroyed during the 'Clone Wars'. Somewhere along the line Zahn shoehorned the Kamino technology in there (I think it was in an Insider-only short story series) as something similar but different.

The Republic/Imperial Commando books portray the clones as having a shorter lifespan (due to accelerated aging) without some other medical intervention that the Kaminoans know about - that 'cure' is part of the plot of one of the later books.
Old March 4 2014, 06:10 AM   #612
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Suffice to say, there's enough ambiguity that if either Rebels or the new movie wanted to incorporate clones, they definitely could (the wisdom of such a choice would, certainly, be debatable depending on how it would be implemented).
Old March 4 2014, 12:31 PM   #613
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, if even 10-20% of the original Clones bred during the wars were still alive during Rebels and then the OT that's still quite a lot of guys who look like Jango and Boba Fett wandering around the Empire and even outside Imperial space. They wouldn't all just die off or be eliminated and the Empire would probably always have some practical nuts-and-bolts use for a genetically-engineered ex-soldier who followed orders pretty easily, even if he were aging and no longer the kind of guy you'd want wielding a blaster rifle in the field.

Old March 4 2014, 03:02 PM   #614
Wadjda
Commander

Kamino keeps cloning after Yavin according to the EU. It would be nice to see other clones besides the ones in the Republic Army.
Old March 4 2014, 04:37 PM   #615
billcosby
Commodore

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Yeah, if even 10-20% of the original Clones bred during the wars were still alive during Rebels and then the OT that's still quite a lot of guys who look like Jango and Boba Fett wandering around the Empire and even outside Imperial space. They wouldn't all just die off or be eliminated and the Empire would probably always have some practical nuts-and-bolts use for a genetically-engineered ex-soldier who followed orders pretty easily, even if he were aging and no longer the kind of guy you'd want wielding a blaster rifle in the field.
Disney seems determined to undermine anything that took place before ROTS but I still think it would be fascinating to see how the galaxy reacts to those clone soldiers post-Clone Wars. I'm sure they aren't a slave race or anything but would they be welcomed anywhere? What would they be doing - would they band together or populate the far corners of space?

Nah - I've bored myself already. Time for something new.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote