Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "The Naked Time"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 3.23%
6 2 6.45%
7 3 9.68%
8 11 35.48%
9 10 32.26%
10 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 24 2014, 09:57 PM   #31
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week : The Naked Time

Push The Button wrote: View Post

We have the Spock emotional breakdown, Kirk admitting his love for/relationship with his ship, a really great Sulu freakout, and even Janice Rand taking the helm at one point!
Not to mention the first of two appearances by Bruce Hyde as Lt. Kevin Riley, one of TOS's most engaging and likeable guest characters. I would like to have seen Riley in a recurring or semi-regular role.

"You know what Joe's mistake was? He wasn't born an Irishman."
Old February 25 2014, 05:14 AM   #32
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

TRIVIA

You sometimes hear that this was supposed to be a two part episode, with Tomorrow Is Yesterday being the second part. I was present when someone asked Bob Justman if this was correct, and he categorically denied it, saying it would not have been practical due to uncertainty over which part would have had its optical effects completed first. He went on to emphasise that getting any show to air in the first season on time was an around the clock effort.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 06:03 AM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

^^
The script I've seen of "The naked Time" says "(Part I)" right on the front and has an ending which is dated weeks after the rest of the episode was shot (But before the series premiered). Justman's memory was probably just hazy after so many years.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 06:09 AM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

I have long heard "The Naked Time" was supposed to be Part I of a two-parter. And I'm sure I've heard and read D.C. Fontana affirm it on more than one occasion.
Old February 25 2014, 06:10 AM   #35
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
^^
The script I've seen of "The naked Time" says "(Part I)" right on the front and has an ending which is dated weeks after the rest of the episode was shot (But before the series premiered). Justman's memory was probably just hazy after so many years.
Yep, agreed it could be that, this was in 2005 when he was asked, after all.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 08:46 AM   #36
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Well then Fontana wanted to do a two-parter, but for practical reasons it was never going to happen, as Justman would know better than anybody.

The only two-parter in TOS was done by shooting a single show ("The Menagerie" framing story), cutting it in half, and adding in the pre-existing other single show ("The Cage").
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 03:37 PM   #37
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I like the implication that it was Kirk's crumbling that gave Spock the focus to push off the effects of the disease.
It's also possible Spock was inoculated before Kirk got the bridge. We didn't most of the crew inoculated but we can assume they were.
Going by the conditions of the uniforms, Kirk was the only one to get the shot after Sulu...
Old February 27 2014, 01:15 AM   #38
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

I've been trying all week to come up with something profound to say about this one, and I find that I really don't have too much to add to what others have already said. It's just a great early episode. There's a real sense of crisis operating all through the segment, with an even more realistic feel than that of "The Corbomite Manuever". The final minutes of this show are as awesomely suspenseful and dramatically cathartic as anything in the original series. It's a shame that John Black only wrote this one episode for Star Trek.
And - oh yeah, the original musical score rules once again as well. I don't think I need to point out to anyone the greatness of the music - one quality which will never flag throughout the original series' full run. Unbelievably, I read a post by some idiot recently where he said if he had the chance he'd re-release the original series with a newly recorded modern score. Hard to fathom some people.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 01:27 AM   #39
2takesfrakes
Commodore

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I'll give it an 8 if only just for Spock's breakdown in the Briefing Room.
I liked that stuff with Chapel preceeding it, too. This was the one time where her love-sickness was played really well. Nimoy's acting here is great. I don't know what he's drawing from, but you can see Spock's becoming increasingly affected by the virus and by Chapel's desperate pleas ...
Old March 1 2014, 05:40 PM   #40
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Caught this on CBS Action - I'd forgotten it's the only episode in the first season that had all the 'regulars' in together.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:03 PM   #41
Harvey
Admiral

The pedantic in me must point out that, technically, Uhura and Chapel weren't "regulars," but I see your point.

Old March 3 2014, 01:30 PM   #42
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

The pedantic in me must point out that, technically, Uhura and Chapel weren't "regulars," but I see your point.
If you want to be that pedantic, then neither was Sulu or Scotty. Chapel was a guest star in WaLGmo but a co-star in this episode so I think she can qualify in the same way as the other recurring day players.

Old March 3 2014, 04:23 PM   #43
Harvey
Admiral

Takei actually was a regular, as was Whitney. Doohan wasn't -- until season two. These things were contractual.

Old March 3 2014, 06:15 PM   #44
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Takei actually was a regular, as was Whitney. Doohan wasn't -- until season two. These things were contractual.
Ah ok that's interesting. I'd assumed that the position in the cast list had some bearing on contracts. Although either way, only Shatner and Nimoy were guaranteed appearances.

Of course Chekov is missing from this episode so I suppose the only appearances we have of all the 'gang' appearing in the same story are TMP and STIV, although there are probably a few episodes in seasons 2 and 3 featuring everyone but Rand.

Plus there are the recurring characters who didn't make it to the movies like Kyle (apart from ST2) and Leslie.

Old March 4 2014, 07:02 AM   #45
Trevacious
Captain

"Love Mankind"

There should be some special mark for the day player who so memorably portrayed that laughing crewman with the paint brush.

(And who also gave McCoy a hard time over the intercom when he wanted those test results from the lab.)
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote