Odo's Combadge

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Bry_Sinclair, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Odo's clothing was merely what he had "morphed" himself into, but what about his combage?

In "Invasive Proceedures" we see the raiders remove his combadge, so it is clearly not a part of him (especially when you consider how intricate the circuitry must be and he had trouble with a face). However, on many occassions when he reverted (either completely or partially) to his liquid form his combadge went with him. Now it could be that he kept it hidden within himself, but when he's sliding through cracks there is no place it could go.

Thoughts?

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

We never saw him use his combadge and "absorb" it and do something that he couldn't do with the combadge inside him. So most of the time it's a real combadge, and occasionally he leaves it behind and just imitates it. ;)

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I have always thought that the combadge was always far bulkier than the circuitry. It may only be the jewelry part that he imitates, but he absorbs the circuitry.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I always assumed he absorbed it or didn't wear it.

5. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

Same, just absorbed somewhere in whatever he morphed into.

6. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I had never thought about it much until now. But I guess I agree with whats been said already. I would assume it is a combination of everything from time to time depending on the situation.
    Most times he can probably keep it within him. Others, perhaps he can break it down to become flatter? And Im sure there are times he just ditches it. But also, probably for times he goes through doors and such, Im sure he just opens the door and picks it up after or something.

7. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

It gets shifted into subspace, along with his mass when he becomes a seagull.

8. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The essence of Changeling:

Odo had trouble with a face because he hadn't full understanding of humans.
    In that point of view, combadge (an artificial electronic device) is much easier to imitate.

9. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Good question about Odo. It automatically made me think about the Doctor o Voyager. Isn't there a similar problem with the Doctor's combadge? Is it real circuitry? If so, why does it disappear when his program is off-line?

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Good one.

11. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    He is a hologram. His voice is tied in with the ships systems. He only mimic's the human motions of using his comm badge, but its irrelevant.
    Remember even when his holo-emitter goes offline, he can still speak through the communications systems. I don't remember what episode(s) they are.
    At least, it makes sense to me.

12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^A common phenomenon of the Trek universe seems to be imitating the behavior of one's colleagues, be it how they communicate, what they do with a coffee cup when they don't need to drink, or what they eat before their engineering shift.

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Every other Changeling had the same problem, apparently.

14. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I guess, no. Only Changeling from "Hundred" had such problems due to lack of selfunderstanding and shared experiences with other Changeling.