Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 21 2014, 09:48 PM   #31
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Can TOS be appreciated by younger viewers?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
Shat Happens wrote: View Post
You *hated* Kirk? that's a new one for me.
Yeah. I sometimes feel complex emotions for fictional characters.
I completely understand. I hate with a passion both New Galactica's Kara Thrace, and ENTERPRISE'S Trip Tucker probably more than I should given that neither person actually exists. Their fans claim they are the most "relatable" characters of their respective shows, but neither is anybody I'd ever want to relate to.

Or socialize with in any way, shape or form.

That being said, I think younger viewers could enjoy TOS. They just need to remember that it was made in a different time, with different sensibilities, and that looking at it through the prism of today's standards simply will not work.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:19 PM   #32
I am not Spock
Commodore

I am 31 and love TOS the most out of the Trek series. I grew up with the spin offs, but as I aged, I came to appreciate the original as the best. I started watching Trek when I was 12, and loved the action, adventure, starships, weird aliens, production design, fist fights, etc , of the original series.

I can't really imagine anyone under the age of 20 nowadays appreciating TOS.
Old February 25 2014, 02:04 PM   #33
Khan 2.0
Captain

TOS has got that creepy eerie vibe like The Twilight Zone. The ship on its own way out in deep space charting a haunted universe of deeply strange things
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 02:23 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post

It didn't make sense to me that he was always taking Spock and McCoy away with him on ground expeditions. Its irresponsible.
Shatner and Nimoy were the stars of the show. They weren't going to pay them to sit around while other actors went into the action.

It's TV. Even Patrick Stewart wanted to get more involved in the action as TNG went on.
Old February 27 2014, 10:49 PM   #35
OpenMaw
Commander

Even Stewart wanted some of that Kirk action. Oh yeah!

I'm 25, I started with Star Trek The Motion Picture. Which is probably the biggest black sheep in the franchise. At the ripe age of four years old, I remember sitting in front of the huge TV watching the extended cut of TMP. A very different look and feel to much of the rest of Star Trek...

...TOS ended up being my favorite. Everything about TOS radiates energy. Even when it's bad it's still bad in an entertaining way. I'll take "Spock's Brain" over "Threshold", or "Profit and Lace" any day.
Old February 28 2014, 06:33 AM   #36
Mr_Homn
Captain

Well, I am 26 and I was born in 1987, and while I grew up with TNG, and viewed it as my favorite for many years, at first thinking TOS was stupid and corny, I have now since come to realize that TOS is my favorite trek series. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that TOS is 1-A and TNG is 1-B.

The Blu Rays certainly did help in getting me into the series. Once I took that first step, I was hooked for life. At first I watched only with the cgi effects, but now I will only tolerate the original effects.
Old February 28 2014, 07:46 AM   #37
Warped9
Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
The Blu Rays certainly did help in getting me into the series. Once I took that first step, I was hooked for life. At first I watched only with the cgi effects, but now I will only tolerate the original effects.
Interesting. May I ask why?
Old February 28 2014, 11:04 AM   #38
drt
Commander

My kids (five and seven years old) like the show.

At first I thought they were humoring me, but on occasion they do request to watch it without being prompted.
drt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:14 PM   #39
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

I am also 30. I've always been a Star Trek fan. I grew up mostly on TNG. And I admit, while I was a fan of the characters and the era, I never really liked the sereies (TOS). But over the last few years I've slowly grown to like it. I didn't force myself to like it or anything, I just grew to appreciate it.
I think it depends on the younger person. Like with anything, some will like it, other won't. But you can see more youth not having an interest in things such as TOS, just a sign of changing times.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 11:54 AM   #40
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

I am 18, started watching Trek two years ago, and TOS is one of my favourite shows. So it can be appreciated by young people as well.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 12:34 AM   #41
Seven of Five
Commodore

I remember seeing a bit of TOS before any of the new series when my Dad would watch it, and I used to like it. I eventually got into Star Trek as a franchise around when TNG ended in 96 in the UK. TNG started up again from season one, VOY was just starting up, and DS9 and TOS were also being shown. I watched everything back then when I was around 12.

These days, approaching 30, I'm a bit weird with TOS. I'll quite happily sit and watch the good stuff over and over again, but the bad stuff really turns me off. Of the DVDs I have, season one has had the most use, season two has had some, whereas season three hardly had any. Probably not that surprising.

Anyway, perhaps it's nostalgia as I grew up with TNG/DS9/VOY closer to the time they actually aired, but I can sit and watch bad episodes of those series, whereas not with TOS.
Old March 2 2014, 11:01 AM   #42
Botany Bay
Commodore

Runetouch wrote: View Post
I am 18, started watching Trek two years ago, and TOS is one of my favourite shows. So it can be appreciated by young people as well.
Happy to hear TOS is still working its magic. Hope you continue to enjoy it
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 12:07 PM   #43
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Runetouch wrote: View Post
Happy to hear TOS is still working its magic. Hope you continue to enjoy it
Thanks. It is indeed an awesome franchise, and I really love TOS and the TOS films as well. TNG and DS9 were great as well(finished TNG in December, and currently watching DS9)
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote