Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 28 2014, 04:07 AM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Did Spock ever kill anything?

Spock argued that Edith Keeler must die, and he called out to Kirk, in order to prevent Kirk from saving her.
Old February 28 2014, 03:03 PM   #17
Vandervecken
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Vandervecken wrote: View Post
The Capellans nailed in that rock slide caused by that sonic doohickey he and Kirk rigged up. Those were boulders. We're never shown any of them dead, but it sure looked like some of them had to be killed.
And later in the episode, Spock does clearly shoot one Capellan with a bow and arrow.

Spock assists Kirk in rigging the grenade launcher in "Arena," though we don't know how much damage it did.

In "Wolf in the Fold," Spock beams the Redjac-possessed Hengist into space on wide dispersal. Hengist was already technically dead at that point, only animated by Redjac, but it was assumed that dispersing Redjac would eventually kill it (although a couple of different comics sequels have argued otherwise).

In "Return to Tomorrow," Spock was sharing consciousness with Chapel when she injected Spock-Henoch with what Henoch believed was poison, resulting in Henoch's flight from Spock's body and thus his death. It's unclear whether Spock was fully in control of her actions at the time, though, and one can split hairs about whether tricking someone into killing himself is equivalent to killing them oneself (although I'd say it is, from an ethical standpoint).

Similarly, Spock is the one whose actions drive the Zetarians from Mira Romaine's body and kill them in "The Lights of Zetar."

And of course it was Spock who rigged the torpedo that destroyed the Klingon ship in TUC. (Infuriatingly, he did so with McCoy's help, despite McCoy's insistence in "The Empath" that he would not take life under any circumstances, and despite the fact that it made no damn sense for a medical doctor to modify a weapon.)

There were times when Spock advised others to use deadly force -- suggesting it as a way to deal with Mitchell in the second pilot, telling Yeoman Tamura to use lethal force if necessary in "A Taste of Armageddon," urging Kirk to kill the Horta when it threatened him in "The Devil in the Dark."

(Although I've never believed that Spock was actually trying to convince Kirk to Gary Mitchell. Rather, he was trying to convince Kirk to strand Mitchell by pointing out that killing him was the only other option.)
That's a great list, thanks--I rejected Redjack myself, though, because I wasn't counting assists to Kirk, who gave the order. I gave that one to Kirk (the Capellans are more like a joint effort). Also wasn't counting advice and indirect results, just deaths for which Spock was the immediate cause. Also I felt that we needed some idea of results, so didn't count Arena when I was trying to put things together myself. But that leaves TUC and the bow and arrow shot, big misses for me, thanks, and also Henoch, and I agree about Henoch; Spock killed him.
Old February 28 2014, 03:15 PM   #18
Vandervecken
Commander

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
He killed that bowl of Plomeek Soup.
That was the second-deadest soup I've ever seen.
Old February 28 2014, 03:44 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
That's a great list, thanks--I rejected Redjack myself, though, because I wasn't counting assists to Kirk, who gave the order.
Well, that's no different from any soldier in combat, though, is it? Killing under a commanding officer's orders is still killing. And it's clear enough that Spock accepted the necessity of occasionally using deadly force as a consequence of serving in Starfleet, although he did see it as a last resort.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 04:40 PM   #20
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

(Although I've never believed that Spock was actually trying to convince Kirk to Gary Mitchell. Rather, he was trying to convince Kirk to strand Mitchell by pointing out that killing him was the only other option.)

SPOCK: Recommendation one. There's a planet a few light days away from here. Delta Vega. It has a lithium cracking station. We may be able to adapt some of its power packs to our engines.
KIRK: And if we can't? We'll be trapped in orbit there. We haven't enough power to blast back out.
SPOCK: It is the only possible way to get Mitchell off this ship.
KIRK: If you mean strand Mitchell there, I won't do it. That station is fully automated. There's not a soul on the whole planet. Even the ore ships call only once every twenty years.
SPOCK: Then you have one other choice. Kill Mitchell while you still can.
KIRK: Get out of here.
SPOCK: It is your only other choice, assuming you make it while you still have time.
KIRK: Will you try for one moment to feel? At least act like you've got a heart. We're talking about Gary.
SPOCK: The captain of the Valiant probably felt the same way, and he waited too long to make his decision. I think we've both guessed that.
KIRK: Set course for Delta Vega.
And then he went and got a phaser rifle from the armory. A PHASER RIFLE. That's a bit more than just pointing out that killing him was the only other option.

[Delta Vega Control room]
SCOTT [OC]: Oh, did Mister Spock get the phaser rifle we sent down?
KIRK: I didn't order any (Spock enters with rifle) Affirmative. Landing party out.
SPOCK: He tried to get through the force field again. His eyes changed back faster. He didn't become as weak.
KIRK: Doctor Dehner feels he isn't that dangerous. What makes you right and a trained psychiatrist wrong?
SPOCK: Because she feels. I don't. All I know is logic. In my opinion we'll be lucky if we can repair this ship and get away in time.
KELSO: Direct to the power bins. From here you could blow up this whole valley.
KIRK: If Mitchell gets out, at your discretion, Lee, if sitting here, you think you're the last chance, I want you to hit that button.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 04:57 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

^I think your quote makes my case for me. Spock's first recommendation is to strand Mitchell on Delta Vega. When Kirk rejects it, Spock says that killing him is the only other choice. And his argument convinces Kirk to overcome his resistance to the recommendation to strand Mitchell.

And bringing a weapon as a precaution does not even remotely prove an intention or preference to use it. Cops carry guns on every call, but most cops go through their entire careers without ever actually having to use their guns outside the firing range.

Old February 28 2014, 06:01 PM   #22
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

In Galileo 7, he throws a spear or two in the direction of those big brutes. Whether he hit anyone or not is immaterial, he intended to harm or kill them.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:43 PM   #23
Push The Button
Captain

We don't know for sure, but Spock may have killed an Eminian guard or two during the mission to rescue Kirk at the council chambers in A Taste of Armageddon.

Weird that Ambassador Fox wasn't more concerned about what became of his aide at the end of that episode.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:45 PM   #24
Shik
Commander

Aides are like the redshirts of the Diplomatic Corps. Grow 'em in vats, pick 'em up for 2 cents a pop at Costco.
Old February 28 2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
In Galileo 7, he throws a spear or two in the direction of those big brutes. Whether he hit anyone or not is immaterial, he intended to harm or kill them.
I don't agree. Earlier, he specifically ordered "We'll fire to frighten... not to kill."

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/14.htm

Throwing the spear was presumably more along the lines of covering fire, with the goal of getting them to duck rather than actually hitting them. I mean, seriously, those spears were huge, built for giants. Even with Vulcan strength, he wouldn't have been able to put a lot of force into the throw, and I don't think he was trying very hard to aim.

Old February 28 2014, 07:14 PM   #26
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Um, he killed God. Everything else seems rather trivial by comparison.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:19 PM   #27
scotpens
Vice Admiral

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
He thought that he'd killed Kirk in "Amok Time". That was his intention, anyway -- he didn't know about McCoy's secret intervention.
Does that count? Spock wasn't in his right mind at the time -- he was under the influence of the plak tow (blood fever).
Old February 28 2014, 09:36 PM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
He thought that he'd killed Kirk in "Amok Time". That was his intention, anyway -- he didn't know about McCoy's secret intervention.
Does that count? Spock wasn't in his right mind at the time -- he was under the influence of the plak tow (blood fever).
Why wouldn't it? Spock thought it did.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:10 AM   #29
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

He didn't pull the trigger himself, but he effectively got Dr. McCoy to fire a phaser and kill the Salt Vampire in "The man Trap"

IMO - with the very emotional delivery of ..."It's killing the Captain!"
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 07:22 PM   #30
Green Shirt
Commodore

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Weird that Ambassador Fox wasn't more concerned about what became of his aide at the end of that episode.
Yeah, he just looked down at him and said "screw this, I'm outta here".