RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,117
Posts: 5,433,090
Members: 24,933
Currently online: 683
Newest member: karanfree

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 27 2014, 12:40 AM   #286
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
And the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2, and the first act and final scene (not the stinger) of Captain America: The First Avenger.
Yep, only Iron Man 1 and 3 and the Thors have not featured NYC so far, and it's not as though the many non-Marvel Studios Marvel comics-based films have relocated characters out of the city. I too am glad they're not doubling New York production-wise, but I'd also like to see a miniseries set in a smaller city, like Boston or Detroit or San Francisco at some point.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 01:07 AM   #287
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Sure, NYC has played a role in various movies, but the MCU has not yet followed the lead of the comics in creating the sense of a whole community of heroes that share NYC as a home base. Which is understandable, since many of the most NY-centric titles like Spider-Man, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four are with other studios, and so was Daredevil until recently, so Marvel's been left mainly with characters for whom NYC is not a key location. Tony is based in Malibu, at least in his solo movies. Thor is from Asgard. Banner travels all over. Cap is a Brooklyn kid and seemed to be living in NYC in The Avengers, but mostly in deleted scenes. And the SHIELD guys operate out of helicarriers and jets and bases in DC and various parts of the country. So while NYC is present in the MCU, it's not the hub of the superhero community the way it is in the comics. So it's great that we'll now be getting a quartet of interconnected series about street-level New York heroes. It's filling in something that's been missing up to now.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 03:13 AM   #288
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

I think it was clear it was going to be set in New York. I'm thrilled that it's actually going to be filmed there. I think that'll help add a bit of authenticity that'll make it more fun.

That being said, I still don't think Hells Kitchen should be filmed in Hells Kitchen
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 03:33 AM   #289
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Weren't a lot of the NYC scenes in Avengers actually filmed in Cleveland or somewhere like that?
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 03:38 AM   #290
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

^ Fifteen seconds of Googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ave...ilm%29#Filming
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 03:39 AM   #291
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

^Or on a soundstage. The bulk of the Manhattan filming was establishing shots and background plates for creating a digital cityscape.

All the more reason to be glad that this fivesome of shows will be shot in the real NYC.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 04:35 AM   #292
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

What's interesting to me is the possibility of the Defenders being eight episodes instead of four. I was expecting a mini-series event, but eight episodes gives time for pacing and plot development (rather than just "show up and kick ass") which, to me, seems riskier.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 06:09 AM   #293
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Its still weird to hear the Defenders name associated with these characters. Don't most shows set in New York film in other cities and just pretend its New York (probably because of money reasons)? It will be kind of interesting to see what comes of these internet shows. It would be cooler if at least Daredevil got another movie instead of wasting the character on Netflix, but if nothing else the shows might be so bad its good. Then again, based off of the "quality" of Marvel's current TV show, the netflix stuff will probably be equally as mediocre, or just outright bad. Maybe DC and Marvel people should share notes. DC can help Marvel with TV and animation, and Marvel can help DC with movies
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 09:50 AM   #294
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

The only way to film a movie in New York at cost is to get Woody Allen to direct.

He knows people.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 06:42 PM   #295
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon
 
The Fiend's Avatar
 
Location: Hell
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

I am going to have to make an after to see if I can spot any filming locations. Can't wait!
The Fiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 05:42 AM   #296
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Its still weird to hear the Defenders name associated with these characters. Don't most shows set in New York film in other cities and just pretend its New York (probably because of money reasons)? It will be kind of interesting to see what comes of these internet shows. It would be cooler if at least Daredevil got another movie instead of wasting the character on Netflix, but if nothing else the shows might be so bad its good. Then again, based off of the "quality" of Marvel's current TV show, the netflix stuff will probably be equally as mediocre, or just outright bad. Maybe DC and Marvel people should share notes. DC can help Marvel with TV and animation, and Marvel can help DC with movies
Actually quite a bit of stuff films in New York. Wolf of Wall Street, Winter's Tale, Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Following, Orange is the New Black, Gossip Girl, Noah, Non-Stop, White Collar, Suits, The Blacklist, Girls, all of the Law & Orders (except LA & UK) are just a few of the entries come up on Internet Movie Database. It has over 29,000 entries for things filmed in NYC. I think it's probably one of the most popular US filming locations outside of California.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Last edited by JD; February 28 2014 at 05:52 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 01:05 PM   #297
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Orange is the New Black isn't primarily filmed in New York. It's clearly filmed in a set that's the prison.

I'm primarily interested in TV shows filmed in New York, which Law and Order was famous for doing. That list is longer than I thought it would be. I think the complaint is with CSI: NY and I'm sure a few others that are set in NY, but not filmed there.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 04:05 PM   #298
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Person of Interest and Elementary are also filmed in New York City, and take very good advantage of the setting, like most actually-in-NYC shows. (White Collar makes something of a habit of writing its storylines around major NYC landmarks, especially in season finales.) The recent procedural Unforgettable was noteworthy for being set and filmed in Queens rather than the usual Manhattan.

I think that CSI:NY does a mix of filming in NYC and filming elsewhere, or maybe it started out there and then moved. Fringe's first season was filmed in NYC, but then it moved to Vancouver (at which point Nina Sharp's office as Massive Dynamic changed from an office with a huge window overlooking the real Manhattan skyline to one with a narrow window strip with a skyline backdrop behind it).

The main "fake New York" show I currently watch is Castle, whose LA-based production has never had a convincing New York flavor (except in the pilot, which I believe was shot in NYC). Alphas, which I think was shot in Toronto, did a somewhat better job of doubling New York.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:16 PM   #299
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

JD wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Its still weird to hear the Defenders name associated with these characters. Don't most shows set in New York film in other cities and just pretend its New York (probably because of money reasons)? It will be kind of interesting to see what comes of these internet shows. It would be cooler if at least Daredevil got another movie instead of wasting the character on Netflix, but if nothing else the shows might be so bad its good. Then again, based off of the "quality" of Marvel's current TV show, the netflix stuff will probably be equally as mediocre, or just outright bad. Maybe DC and Marvel people should share notes. DC can help Marvel with TV and animation, and Marvel can help DC with movies
Actually quite a bit of stuff films in New York. Wolf of Wall Street, Winter's Tale, Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Following, Orange is the New Black, Gossip Girl, Noah, Non-Stop, White Collar, Suits, The Blacklist, Girls, all of the Law & Orders (except LA & UK) are just a few of the entries come up on Internet Movie Database. It has over 29,000 entries for things filmed in NYC. I think it's probably one of the most popular US filming locations outside of California.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was filmed in New York, Rochester New York. It was not filmed in New York City, downtown Rochester was used for NYC and they CGIed in the taller buildings.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 12:50 AM   #300
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Christopher wrote: View Post
Person of Interest and Elementary are also filmed in New York City, and take very good advantage of the setting, like most actually-in-NYC shows. (White Collar makes something of a habit of writing its storylines around major NYC landmarks, especially in season finales.) The recent procedural Unforgettable was noteworthy for being set and filmed in Queens rather than the usual Manhattan.

I think that CSI:NY does a mix of filming in NYC and filming elsewhere, or maybe it started out there and then moved. Fringe's first season was filmed in NYC, but then it moved to Vancouver (at which point Nina Sharp's office as Massive Dynamic changed from an office with a huge window overlooking the real Manhattan skyline to one with a narrow window strip with a skyline backdrop behind it).

The main "fake New York" show I currently watch is Castle, whose LA-based production has never had a convincing New York flavor (except in the pilot, which I believe was shot in NYC). Alphas, which I think was shot in Toronto, did a somewhat better job of doubling New York.
I think CSI does pickup or establishing shots in NYC but keep the actors in LA.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel cinematic universe

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.