Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 26 2014, 04:15 PM   #571
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I actually think it's good. It's very simple, with a lot of latitude.
It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.
Old February 26 2014, 04:23 PM   #572
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Timby wrote: View Post
It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.
Exactly.

I think this rule gives an unfair advantage to the catcher.

The same situation exists at 2nd and 3rd, but the fielders chose not to put their bodies in harms way (most of the time). The difference for the play at home is the catcher is all armored up and they CHOSE to block the plate and take on an "unarmoured" base runner. I'd say 99 percent of all collisions are caused by a catcher chosing to block home to stop the run, bot base-runner "leaving the baseline" to intientionally take out the catcher.
Old February 26 2014, 07:17 PM   #573
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yanks wrote: View Post

Exactly.

Not really, because it's already been against the rules for years. This is a rule change that doesn't actually change anything.

In other news, the Angels sign Mike Trout to a 1 / 1 deal. Nice bit of luxury tax evasion there; MLB really needs to fix those loopholes.
Old February 26 2014, 08:21 PM   #574
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Exactly.

Not really, because it's already been against the rules for years. This is a rule change that doesn't actually change anything.

In other news, the Angels sign Mike Trout to a 1 / 1 deal. Nice bit of luxury tax evasion there; MLB really needs to fix those loopholes.
The rules DOES change things. Whether that is needed is another story.

Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.
Old February 26 2014, 08:32 PM   #575
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.
Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they dont change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesnt change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, theyd get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.
Old February 26 2014, 11:03 PM   #576
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they don’t change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesn’t change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, they’d get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.
I don't know that I would call that a 'scam'... seems pretty smart to me.

The Angels will only extend him if he wants to stay.

Not sure why the #1 player in all of baseball wouldn't want to be a free agent.

Last edited by Yanks; February 27 2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old February 27 2014, 01:03 AM   #577
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they dont change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesnt change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, theyd get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.
"Scam" is such an ugly word...

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'. - Isaac Asimov
Old March 5 2014, 03:42 AM   #578
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

The O's gave Johan Santana a minor league contract. In his tryouts his top velocity was 81, with him averaging 77-78 on his fastball.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old March 5 2014, 03:47 AM   #579
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Which makes Johan "oh god my arm is falling off" Santana healthier than Grant Balfour in the eyes of the O's.
Old March 7 2014, 09:27 PM   #580
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Speaking of arms falling off, Dr. Frank Jobe has passed.

Story

If there's a place in the BB HOF for doctors, this guy should get a shot. How many careers in the last 40 years were saved because of Tommy John surgery?
Old March 7 2014, 09:37 PM   #581
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ Speaking of arms falling off, Dr. Frank Jobe has passed.

Story

If there's a place in the BB HOF for doctors, this guy should get a shot. How many careers in the last 40 years were saved because of Tommy John surgery?
It honestly bothers me that John, a good but not great pitcher, got the Hall of Fame push from it, as though he were the one who invented the surgery. Dr. Jobe changed the game as we know it.
Old March 7 2014, 10:07 PM   #582
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Carmen Berra - wife of Yogi - has died.
Old March 7 2014, 11:46 PM   #583
Poinsettia
Commodore

The O's gave Johan Santana a minor league contract. In his tryouts his top velocity was 81, with him averaging 77-78 on his fastball.
He needs to retire.

...Pink is my favorite crayon...
Old March 8 2014, 10:27 PM   #584
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

FOX has announced its baseball coverage lineups. Joe Buck, Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci will be their A-team for this season; they're also going to do their studio coverage in-house again with Kevin Burkhardt as host and Frank Thomas, Gabe Kapler, CJ Nitkowski and Eric Karros as analysts. Ryan Field will be the fill-in host when Burkhardt is working for SNY. They'll also produce a Baseball Tonight competitor in MLB Whiparound Show with the same analysts and Chris Myers and Ryan Field hosting.

Ouch. I almost wish McCarver were back.
Old March 8 2014, 10:32 PM   #585
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Not sure how I feel about Reynolds on-air, but Verducci is pretty good.