RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Posts: 5,430,441
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 417
Newest member: Enabran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old February 26 2014, 04:15 PM   #571
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I actually think it's good. It's very simple, with a lot of latitude.
It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.
Timby is offline  
Old February 26 2014, 04:23 PM   #572
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I actually think it's good. It's very simple, with a lot of latitude.
It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.
Exactly.

I think this rule gives an unfair advantage to the catcher.

The same situation exists at 2nd and 3rd, but the fielders chose not to put their bodies in harms way (most of the time). The difference for the play at home is the catcher is all armored up and they CHOSE to block the plate and take on an "unarmoured" base runner. I'd say 99 percent of all collisions are caused by a catcher chosing to block home to stop the run, bot base-runner "leaving the baseline" to intientionally take out the catcher.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old February 26 2014, 07:17 PM   #573
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Yanks wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I actually think it's good. It's very simple, with a lot of latitude.
It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.
Exactly.

I think this rule gives an unfair advantage to the catcher.
Not really, because it's already been against the rules for years. This is a rule change that doesn't actually change anything.

In other news, the Angels sign Mike Trout to a 1 / 1 deal. Nice bit of luxury tax evasion there; MLB really needs to fix those loopholes.
Timby is offline  
Old February 26 2014, 08:21 PM   #574
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.
Exactly.

I think this rule gives an unfair advantage to the catcher.
Not really, because it's already been against the rules for years. This is a rule change that doesn't actually change anything.

In other news, the Angels sign Mike Trout to a 1 / 1 deal. Nice bit of luxury tax evasion there; MLB really needs to fix those loopholes.
The rules DOES change things. Whether that is needed is another story.

Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old February 26 2014, 08:32 PM   #575
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Yanks wrote: View Post
Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.
Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they don’t change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesn’t change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, they’d get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.
Timby is offline  
Old February 26 2014, 11:03 PM   #576
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.
Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they don’t change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesn’t change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, they’d get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.
I don't know that I would call that a 'scam'... seems pretty smart to me.

The Angels will only extend him if he wants to stay.

Not sure why the #1 player in all of baseball wouldn't want to be a free agent.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.

Last edited by Yanks; February 27 2014 at 01:08 AM.
Yanks is offline  
Old February 27 2014, 01:03 AM   #577
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.
Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they don’t change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesn’t change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, they’d get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.
"Scam" is such an ugly word...

__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline  
Old March 5 2014, 03:42 AM   #578
Tom Hendricks
Commodore
 
Tom Hendricks's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

The O's gave Johan Santana a minor league contract. In his tryouts his top velocity was 81, with him averaging 77-78 on his fastball.
__________________
The Sleeper has Awaken!

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline  
Old March 5 2014, 03:47 AM   #579
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Which makes Johan "oh god my arm is falling off" Santana healthier than Grant Balfour in the eyes of the O's.
Timby is offline  
Old March 7 2014, 09:27 PM   #580
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

^ Speaking of arms falling off, Dr. Frank Jobe has passed.

Story

If there's a place in the BB HOF for doctors, this guy should get a shot. How many careers in the last 40 years were saved because of Tommy John surgery?
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old March 7 2014, 09:37 PM   #581
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ Speaking of arms falling off, Dr. Frank Jobe has passed.

Story

If there's a place in the BB HOF for doctors, this guy should get a shot. How many careers in the last 40 years were saved because of Tommy John surgery?
It honestly bothers me that John, a good but not great pitcher, got the Hall of Fame push from it, as though he were the one who invented the surgery. Dr. Jobe changed the game as we know it.
Timby is offline  
Old March 7 2014, 10:07 PM   #582
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Carmen Berra - wife of Yogi - has died.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline  
Old March 7 2014, 11:46 PM   #583
Pondwater
Commodore
 
Pondwater's Avatar
 
Location: In Left Field.
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
The O's gave Johan Santana a minor league contract. In his tryouts his top velocity was 81, with him averaging 77-78 on his fastball.
He needs to retire.
__________________
Red lips.....fingertips
Pondwater is offline  
Old March 8 2014, 10:27 PM   #584
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

FOX has announced its baseball coverage lineups. Joe Buck, Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci will be their A-team for this season; they're also going to do their studio coverage in-house again with Kevin Burkhardt as host and Frank Thomas, Gabe Kapler, CJ Nitkowski and Eric Karros as analysts. Ryan Field will be the fill-in host when Burkhardt is working for SNY. They'll also produce a Baseball Tonight competitor in MLB Whiparound Show with the same analysts and Chris Myers and Ryan Field hosting.

Ouch. I almost wish McCarver were back.
Timby is offline  
Old March 8 2014, 10:32 PM   #585
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Not sure how I feel about Reynolds on-air, but Verducci is pretty good.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.