Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 14 2013, 09:09 PM   #91
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Why didn't they just keep their characters?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And in the infinite vastness of space, what are the odds that two small probes just slam into each other like that? Something more had to have been at work there.
In fiction, improbable stuff happens all the time. Shouldn't read too much into it.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 09:18 PM   #92
Pavonis
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And in the infinite vastness of space, what are the odds that two small probes just slam into each other like that? Something more had to have been at work there.
That's why I said it was a "freak collision". What are the odds that two small probes would collide, and then repair themselves into one unit rather than simply be destroyed? It's a far-fetched scenario, but bringing Borg into it is a stretch, too.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 11:05 PM   #93
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I've heard that in the early days of automobiles, the only two cars in an entire state crashed into each other.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 11:07 PM   #94
Sran
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I've heard that in the early days of automobiles, the only two cars in an entire state crashed into each other.
Not so far-fetched if they were sold at the same place.

--Sran
Old July 14 2013, 11:48 PM   #95
Pavonis
Commodore

I believe it, too. Reality, unlike fiction, isn't constrained by the need to be plausible.
Old July 14 2013, 11:57 PM   #96
Sran
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I believe it, too. Reality, unlike fiction, isn't constrained by the need to be plausible.
Because the only requirement of plausibility that something happens or can happen. Fiction has to meet the reader's expectations by keeping to established ideas and themes. Hypothetical scenarios are interesting, but only if they don't require extreme suspension of disbelief.

--Sran
Old July 16 2013, 03:40 AM   #97
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Nomad was the result of a freak collision and binding with an alien probe called Tan-Ru. The Borg had nothing to do with Nomad's search for perfection.
It just reminded me of the Borg. Tan Ru assimilated Nomad, merging directives, and it was obsessed with perfection. Does Tan Ru have a back story?
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:48 AM   #98
Pavonis
Commodore

Seems more like Nomad assimilated Tan-Ru, since the Nomad part was dominant.
Old July 17 2013, 09:20 AM   #99
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Finnegan could have been that bully that Kirk never gets to pin it back to, instead of a guy who gets killed by a flower in "The Apple".
Finnegan was certainly the hot favourite for Cupcake after 2009, but I guess the thick Irish accent was a big part of the character in TOS, so Orci & Kurtzman picking Hendorff, a guy who really only gets to die in TOS, was fine by me. It was really cool when IDW first revealed the name in the comic and I realised he had been a canonical TOS redshirt!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 09:25 AM   #100
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Does Tan Ru have a back story?
Memory Alpha notes: "Jack Treviño, a writer who sold several stories to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, once pitched a story to Star Trek: Enterprise about the crew of the NX-01 encountering Tan Ru, before it merged with Nomad. The story was well-received, and Treviño felt it might have been bought, but this never happened, due to the cancellation of Enterprise.

In the season one episode, "Civilization", the crew did meet the Malurians, a race the merged probe would later destroy.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 11:47 PM   #101
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^I've recently got back into Enterprise. I trailed off around the beginning of season three and was told it gets better by the end of the third season and it's last, which is true. They had a unique opportunity to connect many dots to link star trek histories together but they didn't do as much as I hoped. They followed up on "First Contact" with "Regeneration" and explained Klingon foreheads between TOS and Next Gen in "Affliction" and "Divergence" but they could have done much more.
Old February 26 2014, 03:45 PM   #102
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I recently saw a DS9 episode featuring Susan Gibney as Erika Benteen and wondered why didn't they keep the character Leah Brahms. Seeing her instead of Benteen would have been better IMO.
Old February 26 2014, 04:12 PM   #103
The Wormhole
Admiral

I recently saw a DS9 episode featuring Susan Gibney as Erika Benteen and wondered why didn't they keep the character Leah Brahms. Seeing her instead of Benteen would have been better IMO.
Leah Brahms wasn't a Starfleet officer, therefore the character of Erika Benteen, Admiral Leyton's chief aide who gets command of a starship couldn't be substituted with her.
Old February 26 2014, 04:57 PM   #104
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Leah Brahms wasn't a Starfleet officer, therefore the character of Erika Benteen, Admiral Leyton's chief aide who gets command of a starship couldn't be substituted with her.
Brahms could have been promoted by that episode. It was probably an attempt to save money by not paying likeness rights to the Leah's writer.
Old February 27 2014, 03:30 PM   #105
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Brahms could have been promoted by that episode. It was probably an attempt to save money by not paying likeness rights to the Leah's writer.
Brahms wasn't even a Starfleet officer, so how could she be promoted? Most likely, they created a new character, Erika Benteen and Susan Gibney auditioned and got the role. At no point had it occurred to anyone to try to make a connection to her previous role.