Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 23 2014, 10:27 PM   #46
J. Allen
Anthrogynous

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: House of Cards - Season 2 (Discussion & Possible Spoilers)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I actually detected some sexual tension in their very first scene, so it's not like it came out of nowhere. I had a feeling that's where it would end up from the moment they met on the bus. To me, that's some good acting.
Yep. I mean, I felt it, but I figured it was me projecting again.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

💖 The Key To One's Heart Starts In The Other... 💖
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:36 PM   #47
Sci Fi Fan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If only there were more shows as well written and acted as this.
Sci Fi Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 11:57 PM   #48
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Why does anyone respond the way they do to anything? People have weaknesses. Given the amount of time he was spending around her, it was always possible he'd develop some kind of fixation on her. I don't know that he ever had that kind of power over someone before, and this was someone who had no other options and no hope.
Great, but that isn't a compelling story. The power trip argument isn't convincing. He was running shit "like a boss" the whole first season. Unless there was some weakness with women telegraphed in the first season that I missed, it just doesn't ring true to the character as established.

Real life can get away with being messy and random. Storytelling has to be better than that.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:10 AM   #49
Harvey
Admiral

I had no problem with Doug's obsession. His relationship with Rachel was already weird in the first season, and the second season reminded us several times that Doug was an alcoholic who had trouble with addiction, as well as man who was dedicated to being in control.

What bothered me was the pace of the story, which was a little slow (probably, I suspect, to keep Doug in play as Underwood's operative). I do wonder what will happen with the computer hacker, since Doug died before he could tell Frank anything about him.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 06:40 PM   #50
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Doug's storyline was fine, just way too long drawn out.

I'm wondering how many more seasons do they think the show will go? I'm thinking two. One about it, and one about his downfall. I hope they don't drag the show out for yard and years just to get a few extra seasons.

Both Damages and Rescue Me I feel would be better as three season, and I have a feeling House of Cards will be the same way.
Old February 24 2014, 09:50 PM   #51
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I agree that one or two more seasons would be sufficient. At this rate, maybe just one. I wouldn't like a whole season of wheel-spinning, and I fear that's what we'd get if the rest of the story is split over 2 seasons.
Old February 25 2014, 03:13 PM   #52
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I agree that one or two more seasons would be sufficient. At this rate, maybe just one. I wouldn't like a whole season of wheel-spinning, and I fear that's what we'd get if the rest of the story is split over 2 seasons.
Agreed. Frances and Claire's story lines don't have 2 seasons worth of legs left. However, Netflix has tapped into something bigger than simply this one story - the American public's visceral hatred of Washington D.C. and anyone who works in Congress or even the White House. Even Barack Obama can no longer claim to be, "loved," as POTUS any longer with approval ratings in the low 40's.

Kevin Spacey in an interview with Jon Stewart on the Daily show described House of Cards as the, "anti-West Wing." Netflix would be smart to be already thinking of spin off series in the same vain.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 03:24 PM   #53
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well, I suppose an additional season of the Underwoods desperately scrambling to reclaim some former glory might be interesting.

I don't think the show (or any spinoffs) would work without Spacey, though. Without him and Robin Wright, I don't think I'd bother. The two of them really elevate what is otherwise pretty pedestrian material.
Old February 25 2014, 05:38 PM   #54
tighr
Commodore

I say it's safe to continue for two seasons, but making it to season 5 would be pushing it. Ideas for plotlines for subsequent seasons:

(2015) The action begins at the end of 2014 as Frank must choose a Vice President and cabinet. Unseen by us, as Frank is the main character, the Vice President is as ruthless as Frank is. The season ends before campaigning for the next term begins. Probably a lot of Republican primary action and Frank preparing for his (de facto) nomination.

(2016) The entire campaign for President. Frank wins, but it will cost him, probably requiring him to pull in too many favors or stabbing the wrong people in the back.

(2017) Frank begins his 2nd term, and it goes epicly downhill from there. Facts get uncovered. The "Roman senators" start to circle the wagons. Gets assassinated.

End of series: Frank dies to end the series (it's a classic tragedy, of course he dies), but the way it happens keeps the American public in the dark, and no one ever discovers what a terrible man he is. His legacy is secured. But we know.
Old February 25 2014, 06:28 PM   #55
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Well, I suppose an additional season of the Underwoods desperately scrambling to reclaim some former glory might be interesting.

I don't think the show (or any spinoffs) would work without Spacey, though. Without him and Robin Wright, I don't think I'd bother. The two of them really elevate what is otherwise pretty pedestrian material.
I agree, without the Underwoods there is no point. I have a feeling Netflix will try and milk the show for 2-3 more seasons. However he raised in season 1, again in season 2, how many seasons can they do where he keeps his secrets before the downfall? I'm going with two, people find out in the third season finale and the finale season is about his trial.

Has the show been following the UK version? Obviously the UK one can't have the main guy ever become king.
Old February 25 2014, 11:05 PM   #56
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Frank on trial wouldn't be the same show though, and it would stretch credibility for him to still be able to manipulate and machinate while under investigation. It will already be bordering on the implausible to watch him getting away with it as president. The only way to realistically continue the show is to pass it on to a new lead trying to take Frank down.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.

Last edited by Venardhi; February 25 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 02:35 AM   #57
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Has the show been following the UK version? Obviously the UK one can't have the main guy ever become king.
Season 7: Frank launches a coup, installs himself as king. Season 8: The search for an heir.
Old March 2 2014, 05:16 PM   #58
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I finished up the season the other day, and I thought it was an improvement on the first season. I had said of the first season that it was an A-grade show in all aspects but the writing, and I think the show improved on that front this time. The monologues are less cheesy, and Frank doesn't come across as a Machiavellian genius quite as much as he did before. The hacker guy did fall into the usual Hollywood tropes, though, and that episode about the Senate went way over the top.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Up until the the first episode of the second season, it loosely followed the story of the UK version. After that, it went its own way. In the UK version...

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - The immortal Terry Pratchett
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:08 AM   #59
intrinsical
Commodore

I'm slow. I'm watching the first episode of season 2 and my jaws just dropped to the floor. I had to pause the video and post this. I mean, I kind of expected it given the build up and the location of the meeting, but it still shocked me.
Old March 28 2014, 12:02 AM   #60
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Yep, I was just as shocked after that episode. All I can say now after seeing all of season two is, enjoy the ride!
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote