Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 24 2014, 10:29 AM   #796
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It will be nice to see Master of the World again. I haven't seen that in ages.
This is the part where I mention that the movie was scripted by the late Richard Matheson . . ..
Oh, you don't have to sell me on Richard Matheson. I love his work and I still have a nice letter that he sent me one time.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
You really should check out Zardoz if you haven't. It's usually the butt of jokes but it's creative and thought-provoking (though ponderous) and totally 70's.
I agree. It's a bit psychedelic, but it's from a day when SF in movies and TV was idea-driven, rather than just a synonym for "action movie."
Old February 24 2014, 04:53 PM   #797
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It will be nice to see Master of the World again. I haven't seen that in ages.
This is the part where I mention that the movie was scripted by the late Richard Matheson . . ..
Oh, you don't have to sell me on Richard Matheson. I love his work and I still have a nice letter that he sent me one time.
Cool.

Please bear with me. After being Richard's editor for twenty years or so, preaching the gospel of Richard Matheson is practically second nature these days.

And he had damn well better be featured in the Oscars' "Memoriam" reel this year or there will be hell to pay.
Old February 25 2014, 10:34 AM   #798
RJDementia13

^^ I certainly hope so. His contributions were second to none.
Old February 25 2014, 04:26 PM   #799
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Reminder: "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" tonight.
Old March 1 2014, 09:41 PM   #800
publiusr
Commodore

You are so blessed to have worked with him, Greg--I envy you
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 04:59 AM   #801
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

And he had damn well better be featured in the Oscars' "Memoriam" reel this year or there will be hell to pay.
He was.
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 03:25 PM   #802
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
He was.
I saw!

I admit I was getting a bit nervous as the reel played on and he still hadn't been shown . . .

But I'm told that the music playing during the montage was actually from "Somewhere in Time," so I guess I didn't need to worry. (I didn't recognize it myself, but various others did.)
Old March 28 2014, 04:45 PM   #803
Christopher
Writer

April offers slim pickings of mostly familiar films, but a couple of notable nights with a few interesting rarities:

TUE 4/1
9:45 PM: Sleeper (1973): Woody Allen cryogenic comedy.

SAT 4/5
3:00 AM: Soylent Green ('73)
6:00 PM: Forbidden Planet ('56)
8:00 PM: Field of Dreams ('89)
10:00 PM: Angels in the Outfield ('51)

SUN 4/6
Midnight: It Happens Every Spring ('49): "A scientist invents a baseball that can't be hit."
2:00 PM: Charly ('68)
4:00 PM: The Incredible Mr. Limpet ('64)

TUE 4/8
1:30 AM: Them! ('54): The giant-ants classic.
3:15 AM: The Cosmic Monsters ('58): Originally The Strange World of Planet X. British entry in the giant-arthropod genre. Starring Forrest Tucker.
4:45 AM: The Wasp Woman ('59): Roger Corman wasp-monster movie.

WED 4/9
Midnight: Modern Times ('36): Chaplin film whose first act borders on sci-fi technocratic dystopia.

SAT 4/12
2:15 AM: The Adventures of Robin Hood ('38): Errol Flynn again.
4:15 AM: A Challenge for Robin Hood ('68): Starring Barrie Ingham.

MON 4/14
Midnight: The Mysterious Island ('29): Lionel Barrymore as Captain Nemo. Despite the title, it's based on Nemo's backstory and is thus a prequel of sorts to 20,000 Leagues.
2:00 AM: Genocide ('68): Originally titled Konchû daisensô (War of the Insects). Japanese monster movie directed by Kazui Nihonmatsu, but apparently more serious than most from this era.
3:30 AM: The X from Outer Space ('67): The other of Nihonmatsu's only two feature films. Originally Uchuu daikaiju Girara, literally "Giant Space Monster Guilala."
9:00 AM: The Adventures of Robin Hood again.

SUN 4/20
3:45 AM: The Terror ('63): Roger Corman horror with Boris Karloff, Jack Nicholson, and Dick Miller.

MON 4/21
6:00 AM: Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine ('65): Vincent Price slumming.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 05:23 PM   #804
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Some less familiar offerings is good. Would Modern Times be considered steampunk?

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; March 28 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 06:39 PM   #805
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Would Modern Times be considered steampunk?
I'm wary about applying such labels retroactively. There's a difference in intent between a futurist work that was actually produced in the past based on the assumptions of the time and a modern work that consciously embraces a nostalgic, anachronistic vision of the future or of a conjectural alternate past.

Old March 28 2014, 07:11 PM   #806
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I agree, it was just a joke as I had hoped the would suggest.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 06:12 AM   #807
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

I just got genre whiplash, by switching from BBC America [TNG] to TCM [Soylent Green].

Can't go too much further than that on TV lol... and I got Celia Lovsky in SG right away to boot, a nice bonus!
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 10:02 AM   #808
RJDementia13

While sprawled on the couch yesterday morning following a molar extraction, I caught the silent version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on TCM. It was really very good. It also occurred to me, since I was mildly stoned on pain killers at the time, that my version of Mr. Hyde is a lot more boring than Dr. Jekyll's-- more like a Mr. Hippie.
Old March 29 2014, 04:38 PM   #809
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I saw Charly last year. It's pretty good. It's about a mentally and emotionally stunted man who undergoes treatment to make him smarter and he ends up becoming super intelligent. It stars Cliff Robertson who won an Academy Award for Best Actor because of this role. This movie was remade in 2000 as Flowers For Algernon and starred Matthew Modine. Both movies are based on the novel Flowers For Algernon.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 04:16 AM   #810
Christopher
Writer

Update: Apparently, due to Mickey Rooney's recent passing, the schedule for this coming Sunday night through Monday early morning (4/13-4/14) has been changed, with The Mysterious Island, Genocide, and The X From Outer Space no longer on the schedule for the month -- or indeed for the next three months. Which is too bad, because I was interested in both of the Japanese films.

The only thing that counts as a genre title in the replacement schedule is the 1935 A Midsummer Night's Dream (with Rooney as Puck), which airs at 4:30 AM on Monday 4/14.