New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 24 2014, 05:36 AM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: You're the Editor- 2015 Edition

Thrawn wrote: View Post
It's the December novel this year. http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/2...-schedule.html

(Which means it will hit in late November.)
And I'm plugging away on it as we speak!
Old February 24 2014, 01:09 PM   #32
Leto_II
Commander

Excellent news -- I somehow hadn't caught that, so great to hear we'll be getting it this year.
Old February 24 2014, 01:17 PM   #33
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Anything more specific you can say about the timing of the book more than "movie era"?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 05:48 PM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Anything more specific you can say about the timing of the book more than "movie era"?
I don't think it's a secret. It's set somewhere between the fifth and sixth movies. I haven't quite settled on precisely when, but closer to the fifth movie than the sixth. (Sulu hasn't taken charge of the Excelsior yet.)
Old February 24 2014, 05:52 PM   #35
ryan123450
Commodore

Awesome! I love that era! Is Saavik aboard ship?

Old February 24 2014, 06:19 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

^Well, in the DC comics, at least, Saavik didn't rejoin the crew until just after Sulu left.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 06:27 PM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Awesome! I love that era! Is Saavik aboard ship?
I'm afraid not. We don't see Saavik in the movies after that brief bit in TVH and I didn't really want to have to explain where she's been or why she's back--and I didn't want to step on the toes of whatever books or comics might have already dealt with these issues.

Saavik seemed like a distraction to the story I wanted to tell, which is more about an older, more mature Kirk. (My other agenda, btw, the way is to focus on Chekov a bit, since I've never really done much with him before.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 24 2014 at 09:26 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 08:32 PM   #38
Reanok
Commodore

Greg that's great to hear your working on a novel n the movie era and Having a Kirk story with an older wiser Kirk is fantastic.Also including Chekov having a bigger storyarc is long overdue in the tos books. I look forward to reading both of your Tos Novels coming out this year.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 09:27 PM   #39
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Reanok wrote: View Post
Greg that's great to hear your working on a novel n the movie era and Having a Kirk story with an older wiser Kirk is fantastic.Also including Chekov having a bigger storyarc is long overdue in the tos books. I look forward to reading both of your Tos Novels coming out this year.
I confess I've sorely neglected Chekov in my Trek work, so I'm trying to make up for that now. I'm writing a Chekov scene this afternoon in fact.
Old February 24 2014, 11:36 PM   #40
Leto_II
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't think it's a secret. It's set somewhere between the fifth and sixth movies. I haven't quite settled on precisely when, but closer to the fifth movie than the sixth. (Sulu hasn't taken charge of the Excelsior yet.)
Yeah, the year 2287 is (comparatively) pretty well-explored, between the immediately-post-TFF DC comic books, and novels like Probe, The Rift, and In the Name of Honor, but 2288 and 2289 are both untouched on the prose front. I think the only major novel set during that timeframe is most of Mangels' & Martin's Excelsior: Forged in Fire (Nov./Dec. 2289, into early January 2290, where Sulu officially takes command).

On the other hand, there's plenty of leeway between that year and 2290, and I'm glad hear that you're filling in the gaps, so to speak -- as you rightly mention, Kirk's at a very interesting point in his life, coming after the events of the last several movies (and especially the events of Dayton's novel), to say nothing of his crew. Chekov's a good choice for examination in this era -- he's been through almost as much shit and hell as Kirk and Spock by this point, and he's not getting any younger, either.

Hoping for some tasty continuity with the DC Comics runs, of course, but either way, this era is probably my favorite in Star Trek (with early-period DS9 coming in second place), and finally having a brand-new novel set during the Enterprise-A years is the best news I've heard in a while.
Old February 25 2014, 02:21 AM   #41
ryan123450
Commodore

I agree. My thoughts exactly. I really look forward to reading this one, Greg!

Old February 25 2014, 03:47 AM   #42
Leto_II
Commander

Also, as other pros in here have pointed out, most movie-era novels tend to stick closer to one film or another; with the wide gap between TFF and TUC during Kirk's captaincy of the Enterprise-A, there's a lot of relatively-virgin, untouched territory to mine there (at least, again, as far as the novels are concerned).

If Greg's novel manages to move further outward a bit from the events of TFF than previous books, outstanding. (Hell, even if he doesn't, this is still a total Day One purchase. )
Old March 1 2014, 07:19 AM   #43
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

You are the editor of the TrekLit line for publishing year 2015. What do you publish?
A single hard-copy Q book that resets everything to the way it was at the end of DS9's relaunch 'season finale' "Unity"

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote