Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 24 2014, 03:02 AM   #1
t_smitts
Commander

Recycling actors for "Enterprise".

From the beginning, as we all know, Trek series have recycled guest actors in new roles. Partly, this is because it's hard to find people who can endure heavy alien prosthetics and still give a good performance, but I think "Enterprise" kicked it up a notch further. It seemed with virtually every episode we had at least one or two guest stars who'd played a role in a previous series. Certainly almost all the actors playing recurring characters (Forrest, Shran, Soval, Silik, Future Guy, Harris, and all the main Xindi) had played roles before. I suppose you could argue that it's fun to see if you can spot familiar actors (i.e. Suzie Plakson, Joseph Ruskin, Andreas Katsulas, John Schuck, Fionnula Flanagan) in new roles.

I noticed they even did something they hadn't really done before and cast series regulars from previous series in new roles. I don't think most people considered "Oasis" or "Acquisition" very memorable, but I admit it was fun seeing Rene Auberjonois and Ethan Phillips in new roles, not to mention Roxann Dawson's voice coming out of that repair station computer in "Dead Stop". (Brent Spiner doesn't count).

I wonder if that would've continued, had the series gone on. I think it would've been neat to bring back, say Nana Visitor or Tim Russ (who done a number of different roles before Tuvok anyway).

Where there any regulars or guest stars from previous series you would've liked to see come back in a different role?
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Recycling actors for "Enterprise".

When the series was just starting, I was either here or at another site, and did a tongue in cheek proposal of William Shatner as an angry Klingon determined to destroy the Enterprise. With Jeffrey Combs adding yet another character to his long list as his lieutenant, who was named K'Ching. I don't think Combs had appeared as Shran yet. In the same post, I suggested Combs in an episode playing 7 different roles.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 03:49 AM   #3
t_smitts
Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
When the series was just starting, I was either here or at another site, and did a tongue in cheek proposal of William Shatner as an angry Klingon determined to destroy the Enterprise. With Jeffrey Combs adding yet another character to his long list as his lieutenant, who was named K'Ching. I don't think Combs had appeared as Shran yet. In the same post, I suggested Combs in an episode playing 7 different roles.
I don't think anyone would've bought Combs as a Klingon but that's okay because he created a character who was tough in his own right.

I would've to have a couple of other people who'd guest starred on the original series in new roles. There aren't that many who were still working into the 21st century. Besides the three that did appear on "Enterprise", the ones I could think of were Lee Merriweather (Losira), Michael Forest (Apollo), and Phil Morris (the latter, I assume would've been the most likely to come back).

Besides that, some other people it might've been nice to see again were Judson Scott, Carolyn Seymour, W. Morgan Sheppard, David Warner, Harris Yulin, Lawrence Pressman, John Glover, Alan Oppenheimer, Robin Curtis, and James Sloyan.
Old February 24 2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone would've bought Combs as a Klingon
Why not? If Stephen Root can play one, anyone can.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 04:57 AM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Although very cliche, it might have been cool to see a former Trek regular playing an ancestor of their original character.
Old February 24 2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It's a shame we never got to see Shran on the main cast, Jeffery Combs kinda deserved it after all his years and roles on Trek.
Old February 24 2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Although very cliche, it might have been cool to see a former Trek regular playing an ancestor of their original character.
*Ahem*

Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
The OP specifically mentioned Spiner at the end of paragraph 2.
Old February 24 2014, 03:18 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
*Ahem*

LOL. Oh yeah, forgot about him...

Well, I wanted more.
Old March 10 2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

I am currently on Episode 24 of the first season and I have already noticed a great cast of supporting and guest actors on the show! A lot of familar faces for sure and some recycles, but I am very pleased I've been seeing some of my favorite actors on the show, and it's still the first season!
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:35 AM   #11
t_smitts
Commander

Levi wrote: View Post
I am currently on Episode 24 of the first season and I have already noticed a great cast of supporting and guest actors on the show! A lot of familar faces for sure and some recycles, but I am very pleased I've been seeing some of my favorite actors on the show, and it's still the first season!
There's a number of familiar faces to come. The Vissian Captain in "Cogenitor" should look rather familiar to you. So should the female Andorian in "Cease Fire". DEFINITELY the Klingon lawyer in "Judgment" and the non-Tellarite bounty hunter in "Bounty"!

Without really spoiling season 3, I can tell you that pretty much all the actors who play the Xindi have made other Trek appearances before, most of them several times.

As I said, I think, after a while, spotting actors you'd seen in other Trek appearances is part of the fun.
Old March 11 2014, 12:49 AM   #12
Tiberius
Commodore

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
And why shouldn't Brent count? The OP didn't give a reason, just said Brent doesn't count.
Old March 11 2014, 01:04 AM   #13
cylkoth
Commodore

here's a number of familiar faces to come. The Vissian Captain in "Cogenitor" should look rather familiar to you. .
And the Vissian engineer's actor appeared in an episode of DS9 & VOY.
Old March 11 2014, 03:40 AM   #14
t_smitts
Commander

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
And why shouldn't Brent count? The OP didn't give a reason, just said Brent doesn't count.
Because in that case, the resemblance was INTENTIONAL. It was clear that Arik Soong was meant to be an ancestor of Noonien Soong.

Conversely, the character that Rene Auberjonois played wasn't at all intended to have any connection to Odo. The Ferengi that Ethan Phillips played wasn't intended to have any connection to Neelix.

cylkoth wrote: View Post
here's a number of familiar faces to come. The Vissian Captain in "Cogenitor" should look rather familiar to you. .
And the Vissian engineer's actor appeared in an episode of DS9 & VOY.
Yeah, but he's not nearly as recognizable as the captain is, both for his previous Trek and non-Trek work.
Old March 11 2014, 04:33 AM   #15
Tiberius
Commodore

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Because in that case, the resemblance was INTENTIONAL. It was clear that Arik Soong was meant to be an ancestor of Noonien Soong.

Conversely, the character that Rene Auberjonois played wasn't at all intended to have any connection to Odo. The Ferengi that Ethan Phillips played wasn't intended to have any connection to Neelix.
That may be, but: