Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 23 2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
The Osiris Chronicles vs Andromeda

I was just able to watch the pilot for the unaired TV series The Osiris Chronicles (the movie was called Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy) and was surprised how much the series resembled Andromeda.

The Osiris Chronicles is set years after the fall of the Galactic Republic and the premise would have involved a surviving Republican warship with a ragtag crew that set out to reconstitute the Republic in order to defend against an invasion. Even some of the characters and sets seem similar. Was this intentional?

I know that for Andromeda, the Dylan Hunt character and some of the plot were based on GR's plans for Genesis II and Planet Earth from the 1970s. But there seem like too many links between The Osiris Chronicles and Andromeda to be a coincidence.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 07:23 AM   #2
cylkoth
Commodore

Re: The Osiris Chronicles vs Andromeda

Has this been released on dvd? I've read alot about this movie/pilot back in the day, but never saw it. No UPN station was carried by my cable company back then.
Old February 23 2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Has this been released on dvd? I've read alot about this movie/pilot back in the day, but never saw it. No UPN station was carried by my cable company back then.
I lean towards no, nothing comes up on Amazon.com.

Though, you can find it on Youtube

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 04:19 PM   #4
DWF
Vice Admiral

I taped the pilot when it aired and it's a shame it didn't make to series.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Yeah I watched it on YouTube
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 07:20 PM   #6
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Watched this last night on youtube after reading about it here. It was... interesting. I liked that it didn't fall into the usual trope of having the warlord chase them from episode to episode. Sean the warlord was actually the most interesting character.

The Osiris took the whale shape too far though.
Old February 23 2014, 10:30 PM   #7
cylkoth
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Thank you. Guess you can always count on Youtube. Watching it now, and it's an enjoyable film, better than I expected. Is it just me, or has John Pyper-Ferguson not aged more than a day or 2 since it was filmed?

Now if I could only find the other UPN Shockwave Cinema pilot/movie of the week ''Star Command''-this one hasn't made it to the good ole 'tube yet.
I'm assuming those old UPN movies were produced by Paramount. I wonder why they haven't released at least these 2 on dvd. Or make them available for license to a basic cable network.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oduced_for_UPN

The 3 Chameleon movies were shown on Sci Fi years ago, but none of the others have seen the light of day...
Old February 23 2014, 10:42 PM   #8
DWF
Vice Admiral

I relaly liked Star Command too it had alot of young actors whgo went on to other things. And I enjoyed White Dwarf even though it was pretty strange.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 02:27 AM   #9
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I remember watching this on TV and have for years wondered what it was!
Old February 24 2014, 04:33 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I was just able to watch the pilot for the unaired TV series The Osiris Chronicles (the movie was called Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy) and was surprised how much the series resembled Andromeda.

The Osiris Chronicles is set years after the fall of the Galactic Republic and the premise would have involved a surviving Republican warship with a ragtag crew that set out to reconstitute the Republic in order to defend against an invasion. Even some of the characters and sets seem similar. Was this intentional?
Only in that they were independently inspired by the same source. Namely, both of them began with creators looking at Star Trek and wondering, "What would the galaxy be like after the Federation fell?" While Andromeda was based on Roddenberry's Genesis II/Planet Earth pilots, it just happened that Robert Hewitt Wolfe had previously had an idea for a far-future series set after the Federation had fallen to the Kelvans, just an idle speculation about what he'd do with Trek if he were given free rein. And I recall reading that Osiris came from Caleb Carr looking at Star Trek from his historian's perspective, his awareness that every society falls eventually, and wondering what would happen when that time came for the Federation.

Which is not really a coincidence, because it's an idea that many people have wondered about over the decades; I remember reading an article along those lines in an issue of the fan-published Trek magazine in the '80s, and I think I've seen a thread or two speculating about it on this BBS over the years. It's a natural enough thing to wonder about in a world where The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and The Foundation Trilogy were around well before Star Trek was, and where post-apocalyptic fiction has been an ongoing genre for generations.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 04:43 AM   #11
sojourner
Vice Admiral

H. Beam Piper explored similar themes as well in his Terro-human future history.
Old March 1 2014, 09:34 PM   #12
publiusr
Commodore

I miss the Andromeda series. They had cool ships http://andromeda.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ships

Ironically, there seems to be a real villain out there by the name of Museveni

Fiction: http://andromeda.wikia.com/wiki/Museveni_Pride
Reality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoweri_Museveni
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 11:56 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

^Drago Museveni was, in fact, named in reference to Yoweri Museveni. The show also used Yoweri as a Vedran dynasty name, as well as mentioning a "Kagame's World" named in honor of an ally of Museveni's. As the Wikipedia article says, President Museveni was not seen as a "villain" at the time the show was made, but rather as a reformist statesman whose stature was comparable to Nelson Mandela's.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 09:41 PM   #14
publiusr
Commodore

Now to figure out how Putin got to be the little imp from Harry Potter...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:19 PM   #15
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Just watched this on youtube. Quick query, why does the wikipedia article vary from the film re the fate of Nova? was a different ending made and the film reissued when it became apparent that there was not going to be a series?

Sadly Jessica Madison Wright who played Nova died in 2006
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote