RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,698
Posts: 5,431,281
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 431
Newest member: honeybadger


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old February 20 2014, 09:13 PM   #121
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: Dr Insano's goggles
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
My list is basically "Be a good person." Everything either follows from that or is negotiable.
I love the idea of this simplified list. I would add a few more things though:

A good person
A sense of humor
Educated and smart
Independent and has her own things going on
Reasonably fit

It would be hard for me to give up any one of these. But most everything else would be negotiable.

Mr Awe

Has to be a geek. Whether a gaming, movie, comic book or whatever geek, doesn't matter, but they have to be at least as geeky as I am. It's the one trait that all my past boyfriends have in common, so I guess that's what I can't do without.
__________________
Joseph Smith...MAGICAL AIDS FROG!The Book of Mormon (Trey Parker & Matt Stone)
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!
The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline  
Old February 20 2014, 09:20 PM   #122
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Geeks are wonderful.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline  
Old February 20 2014, 09:38 PM   #123
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now
 
Zulu Romeo's Avatar
 
Location: looming over the warp and woof of awesome
Re: list of boyfriend rules

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
Has to be a geek. Whether a gaming, movie, comic book or whatever geek, doesn't matter, but they have to be at least as geeky as I am. It's the one trait that all my past boyfriends have in common, so I guess that's what I can't do without.
Speaking of which, I love that new avatar of yours. Created with SCIENCE of course! @_@
__________________
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline  
Old February 20 2014, 09:53 PM   #124
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: Dr Insano's goggles
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
Has to be a geek. Whether a gaming, movie, comic book or whatever geek, doesn't matter, but they have to be at least as geeky as I am. It's the one trait that all my past boyfriends have in common, so I guess that's what I can't do without.
Speaking of which, I love that new avatar of yours. Created with SCIENCE of course! @_@
OF COURSE! Tee-hee-hee-HAHAHA! In our SCIENCE labs we have determined that the perfect boyfriend / girlfriend can only be found through SCIENCE! What would we be without it?

And don't miss the insane new deals on the supervillain shopping network!

Worship Insano!
__________________
Joseph Smith...MAGICAL AIDS FROG!The Book of Mormon (Trey Parker & Matt Stone)
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!
The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline  
Old February 20 2014, 09:58 PM   #125
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: list of boyfriend rules

I miss your most romantic ever avatar CRaytas..
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline  
Old February 21 2014, 10:29 AM   #126
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: Dr Insano's goggles
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Which one? My avatars are all romantic! I mean...I have a crush on Doctor Insano, so that's romantic, right?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Jaime / Cersei one...
__________________
Joseph Smith...MAGICAL AIDS FROG!The Book of Mormon (Trey Parker & Matt Stone)
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!
The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline  
Old February 21 2014, 11:06 AM   #127
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Yes that one!

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline  
Old February 21 2014, 03:40 PM   #128
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: Dr Insano's goggles
Re: list of boyfriend rules

It'll come back as soon as the new season of GoT is on, don't worry...until then, I shall renounce magic and embrace SCIENCE!
__________________
Joseph Smith...MAGICAL AIDS FROG!The Book of Mormon (Trey Parker & Matt Stone)
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!
The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline  
Old February 24 2014, 03:36 AM   #129
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I'm not down with the no kissing on the first date thing.
It is a requirement for me. This rule weeds out those who are only in it for the sex.
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
1) nice handwriting
<snip>
30) takes care of pet

What if neither want pets.

Seriously, a rather useless list. What was any use at all was common sense.
31) Doesn't dissect a children's list in excrutiating detail that is obviously just meant for fun!

Mr Awe
Agreed.

macloudt wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
Well I'm left handed, and it's been my experience that it's rare (but not impossible) for lefties to have 'nice' handwriting. I read something a long time ago about this; since lefties drag their hand across what they just wrote, everything gets put out of alignment since you can't see what you just wrote, or something like that. My handwriting isn't horrible, but it's certainly not as neat as right handers. Looking at the people that I know, left handers always have worse handwriting that right handers.
Yep. Another southpaw here, and without lined paper everything I write slopes downward towards the right as I can't see what I've already written. Still, it's better for me than for my parents' generation, when left-handed children were forced to become right-handed. I'm convinced my aunt was born left-handed because she's always had poor hand-eye coordination and her handwriting is atrocious.
My little girl came home from her first day of school and said, "Everybody at school writes with the wrong hand." At that moment, I knew my little southpaw would be fine!
teacake wrote: View Post
I'm glad they are over thinking it. They have clearly thought about their own needs and their own plans for a future life in a way that goes far beyond and Prince Charming idea.
True.
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
I thought that was a pretty good list, given the ages of the writers!

My own list would be:

kind to humans and animals
respects others
intelligent
not right-wing politically
good hygiene
no smoking, no recreational drugs, minimal alcohol!
I knew we were compatible!
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Erm... what?
Apparently we can't genuinely be good, honest or caring without being religious.
Well, she doesn't actually say that, although it might be reasonably inferred.

She does seem to think that being a believer in God (any apparently) guarantees that you will be those things though, which obviously is breathtakingly deluded nonsense.
Some people here are failing the "respects others" item on the list. Why must those who do believe in God and follow His teachings be ridiculed? IDIC I, personally, believe and agree with AnOfficer on the faith item. The person I share my life with should have similar beliefs and goals as mine. AnOfficer is more in line with the majority of believers. Conversely, I find intolerance is not limited to those of faith.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline  
Old February 24 2014, 03:55 AM   #130
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: list of boyfriend rules

A six and nine year old are concerned that a potential boyfriend shouldn't live with his parents?

Either they only want to date orphans and kids in foster homes, or they're never going to have a date until after high school.

The authenticity of the list seems suspect.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline  
Old February 24 2014, 03:17 PM   #131
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Some people here are failing the "respects others" item on the list. Why must those who do believe in God and follow His teachings be ridiculed?
I wasn't ridiculing her for those reasons, I was ridiculing what she actually said. Something you might be aware of if you weren't too busy crying persecution to actually read and understand the exchange.

She's clarified now, and I'm fine with her position, although your approval on the matter is neither sought nor required.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline  
Old February 24 2014, 03:24 PM   #132
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Some people here are failing the "respects others" item on the list. Why must those who do believe in God and follow His teachings be ridiculed?
I wasn't ridiculing her for those reasons, I was ridiculing what she actually said. Something you might be aware of if you weren't too busy crying persecution to actually read and understand the exchange.

She's clarified now, and I'm fine with her position, although your approval on the matter is neither sought nor required.
Seconded, it's been quite a while now and the topic has moved on, I've never really had any interactions with Sector7 before but from what I see here, that's a good thing.

Didn't really need a second 'thumper jumping on the 'look at me' wagon.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline  
Old February 25 2014, 12:13 AM   #133
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Some people here are failing the "respects others" item on the list. Why must those who do believe in God and follow His teachings be ridiculed?
I wasn't ridiculing her for those reasons, I was ridiculing what she actually said. Something you might be aware of if you weren't too busy crying persecution to actually read and understand the exchange.

She's clarified now, and I'm fine with her position, although your approval on the matter is neither sought nor required.
Seconded, it's been quite a while now and the topic has moved on, I've never really had any interactions with Sector7 before but from what I see here, that's a good thing.

Didn't really need a second 'thumper jumping on the 'look at me' wagon.
You could have disagreed with his post (or with prior ones) without the personal jab directed at Sector7 or the "thumper" and "look at me" remarks directed at him and others. Please refrain from doing so again.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old February 25 2014, 08:18 AM   #134
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: list of boyfriend rules

Melakon wrote: View Post
A six and nine year old are concerned that a potential boyfriend shouldn't live with his parents?

Either they only want to date orphans and kids in foster homes, or they're never going to have a date until after high school.

The authenticity of the list seems suspect.
Nah, Melakon, you misunderstood that. They are considering the qualities their future hubbies/SOs ought to have. People in their early 20s.
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline  
Old February 25 2014, 08:28 AM   #135
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: list of boyfriend rules

^ Yeah, that must be it. I never understood kids anyway, so it's probably a good thing I never had any.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.