Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 22 2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Komack
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Behind the Scenes of DS9

As I watch more DS9 episodes for the first time, I'm getting more and more interested in hearing behind the scenes stories of the show's production, the different personalities of the actors, etc. Any one have any good stories?
Komack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Behind the Scenes of DS9

The DS9 Companion is about as in-depth as you can get.
Old February 22 2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

First hand from a member of the Voyager cast -

Voyager had a fairly upbeat atmosphere on set - cast 'hung out' off screen and enjoyed each others company. The cast member in question decided to visit the DS9 set on the neighbouring lot but found the staff and cast to be rather unwelcoming, keeping themselves to themselves and very little in the way of on set bonhomie. In fact he found them a thoroughly miserable bunch.

On the way back over to the Voyager lot, he met someone from the DS9 production team he knew looking agitated. When he asked what was up, he was told that someone on the DS9 crew had died in an accident on the way to work. When the Voyager cast member commented that it was no wonder the DS9 set was so miserable, he was told 'Oh, they don't know - I just was on the way to tell them !'.
Old February 23 2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The DS9 Companion is about as in-depth as you can get.
Agreed, though many of it's insights have been culled by the Memory Alpha wiki and two podcasts, The Gamma Quadrant and the Orb. You can get a lot by checking those out.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
First hand from a member of the Voyager cast
What's to be lost by naming them?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
First hand from a member of the Voyager cast
What's to be lost by naming them?
I don't know - these guys see each other on the convention circuit regularly, and as it was just a private chat between the two of us rather than 'in public', I'd rather not cause any awkwardness, so I'll err on the side of caution.

If anyone else has heard the same repeated in front of an audience, I'll confirm.
Old February 23 2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I don't know - these guys see each other on the convention circuit regularly, and as it was just a private chat between the two of us rather than 'in public', I'd rather not cause any awkwardness, so I'll err on the side of caution.

If anyone else has heard the same repeated in front of an audience, I'll confirm.
If true, my money is on McNeill. He would be the one to be both familiar with the studio and have the impetus to see what goes on behind the scenes.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 07:43 PM   #8
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...

First hand from a member of the Voyager cast -

Voyager had a fairly upbeat atmosphere on set - cast 'hung out' off screen and enjoyed each others company. The cast member in question decided to visit the DS9 set on the neighbouring lot but found the staff and cast to be rather unwelcoming, keeping themselves to themselves and very little in the way of on set bonhomie. In fact he found them a thoroughly miserable bunch
Garrett Wang told a very different story in a long podcast I listened to a while ago. He said the Voyager set wasn't that great. Specially Mulgrew was really a pain when Jeri Ryan showed up.

My point being: Take these stories with a grain of salt.

It's { Emilia }.
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 08:01 PM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

There is nothing wrong with either way, there just different that's all.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 11:27 PM   #10
Bumbles861
Admiral

I also recommend listening to some of Chase Masterson's old podcasts from thefandom.com. She interviewed several members of the DS9 cast as well as others - and quite frankly, did a very good job at it. I was sorry to see it go. You can access them here:

http://www.chaseclub.com/thefandom.html
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:30 AM   #11
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I also recommend listening to some of Chase Masterson's old podcasts from thefandom.com. She interviewed several members of the DS9 cast as well as others - and quite frankly, did a very good job at it. I was sorry to see it go. You can access them here:

Thanks very much for the link, bbailey861. I've never come across those interviews before, but the Denise Crosby one was excellent. I definitely be listening to most of the others.
Old February 24 2014, 01:29 AM   #12
Bumbles861
Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post

Thanks very much for the link, bbailey861. I've never come across those interviews before, but the Denise Crosby one was excellent. I definitely be listening to most of the others.
I listened to them when they were originally broadcast and haven't listened since. I remember them fondly - but not the details. It's time I go back.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 02:52 PM   #13
Trek Survivor
Captain

DS9 cast members such as Michael Dorn, Armin Shimmerman and Nana Visitor have all commented in the past that the DS9 set WAS a much more subdued, 'serious' place. They took the work seriously, and tended not to have fun and hijinx akin to the TNG cast. They were also not all "best mates" like the TNG cast (Armin talks specifically about Avery Brooks being quite distant from most of the others on a personal level) but were always cordial to each other.

Now, that is not to say there was something "wrong" with the DS9 set - it's just a different way of working. As many of them came from theatre backgrounds, it's easy to understand this. In fact, you could argue they had the right approach! (Marina Sirtis often gleefully talks about an early TNG director who refused to come back on the show because the cast were so silly; now, she says it as a good thing, but from the other perspective, maybe the director felt they were unprofessional and ruining whatever he was trying to achieve).

As for not being best mates, well, I work with lots of people, and I wouldn't hang out with most of them - I don't have anything against them, but there's no law that says people you work with must also be close friends. That's not to say some strong relationships didn't develop amongst the ensemble - Brooks/Lofton, Siddig/Robinson, Siddig/Visitor (obiously).

Dave Rossi, who worked behind the scenes, has also gone on record (in the UK Star Trek Monthly magazine back in 2006) stating that the behind the scenes atmosphere on the show circa season 2-3 was very low. They felt overshadowed by TNG and VOY and many of the cast were fed up.

I rather suspect most of the behind the scenes of TV series are a mixture of good, bad and ugly!!
Old February 25 2014, 05:56 PM   #14
dub
Fleet Captain

Some of them did hang out together after work. This is from an interview with Alexander Siddig:

Jordan Hoffman: Who from the old days that you don’t get to see do you like to hang out with the most at conventions?

Alexander Siddig: You know I love hanging out with Nicky deBoer.

Jordan Hoffman: I see.

Alexander Siddig: She is just hilarious; great, great girl. And um if I see Colm Meaney we’ll have a drink and bitch at each other. That’s all we do. I realize looking back at my history with him, I went out with him twice a week every week for seven years – drinking. Boy, he can pack em away.

Jordan Hoffman: I would imagine.

Alexander Siddig: And all we did was fight. And I guess that’s what they did on the show too. But we fought in real life all the time. He would set me up, he’d take me to Irish bars where they hated English people. I would think they were being racist about the fact that I’m black and they weren’t. The just hated the English people, they would just hear my accent and they’d – and he just laughed his head off.

Jordan Hoffman: Did you ever actually play darts, though, is the real question.

Alexander Siddig: No. No. That would be very weird.

Jordan Hoffman: There needs to be a separation between art and life.

Alexander Siddig: Yes, because that was the only separation, the dart game.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 07:11 PM   #15
mlk
Ensign

I ve read from an interview with Alexander Siddig that he was a pain in the ass to most people the first couple of seasons of DS9. Even going so far as not showing up at the season photo of season 3 I think because he didn't get his way in an episode.
mlk is offline   Reply With Quote