Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 23 2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: NBC is reviving Heroes

Superheroes are cool again. They're probably about a year too late to cash in on this, though. I was seriously disappointed in anything after the first half of Season 1, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching this on Netflix 5 years in the future.
Old February 23 2014, 08:10 PM   #32
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I gave up on Heroes after the first episode of season four. I guess I'll need to go back and watch that season in its entirety. Is there a "I'll need a drink" smilie?

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 09:16 PM   #33
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Superheroes are cool again. They're probably about a year too late to cash in on this, though. I was seriously disappointed in anything after the first half of Season 1, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching this on Netflix 5 years in the future.
Yeah, I don't get the season 1 love. It was good, but very flawed. The (bad) writing was on the wall, and I didn't even bother with season 2 after the horrible way season one ended.
Old February 23 2014, 09:27 PM   #34
Mr Light
Admiral

Season 1 had the potential promise of greatness that we all assumed would be going somewhere. Unfortunately it didn't. Of course a big part of the problem is that they spent an entire season building up to this huge apocalyptic confrontation with Sylar... there was no way they could have delivered on that promise on a tv budget. That said, the "fight" in the S1 finale was still atrocious

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 09:27 PM   #35
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Caretaker wrote: View Post
I gave up on Heroes after the first episode of season four. I guess I'll need to go back and watch that season in its entirety. Is there a "I'll need a drink" smilie?
For what it's worth, it's not like the show for progressively worse. It more or less had a massive quality drop and then stayed at this new level. So the part you missed isn't worse than what you've seen.
Old February 23 2014, 09:30 PM   #36
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

The story will pick up with the poor Irish girl trapped in the alternate future as she recruits a team of villains and travels back to the past to kill all the heroes.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:12 PM   #37
Aragorn
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Season 1 had the potential promise of greatness that we all assumed would be going somewhere. Unfortunately it didn't. Of course a big part of the problem is that they spent an entire season building up to this huge apocalyptic confrontation with Sylar... there was no way they could have delivered on that promise on a tv budget. That said, the "fight" in the S1 finale was still atrocious
Worse than Peter and T-Bag throwing dirt at each other in season 4?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:44 PM   #38
SG-17
Commodore

How long has this been in development? It seems like NBC is only giving it another shot because of the success of Arrow on the CW. Like stated before "Superheroes are cool again."

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:58 PM   #39
Candlelight
Admiral

The main issue was the order from high above that they should retain the same characters forced Kring to drop the "bloodbath" season one finale that would've seen many characters killed off. The plan of each season would've had new characters with new powers was vetoed.

Similar to how Star Trek Voyager wasn't allowed to have a story arc or perpetual damage to the starship.
Old February 23 2014, 11:00 PM   #40
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The whole season 1 finale was the biggest letdown ever in the history of TV.

Yes I said it.

Not only was the "fight" not even a fight, but the whole time they are in NYC and there wasn't a single extra person in the city the whole episode, it was insane!
Old February 24 2014, 12:32 AM   #41
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The whole season 1 finale was the biggest letdown ever in the history of TV.

Yes I said it.

Not only was the "fight" not even a fight, but the whole time they are in NYC and there wasn't a single extra person in the city the whole episode, it was insane!
No one is arguing that point

I wonder why and how?

Would it be a total reboot to test the waters so to speak or would they pick up of one of the strands of the show and continue from there?

The basic premise was solid and very interesting but the execution of everything past season 1 was atrocious and i don't see how that can be undone. Heroes is marked as that brilliant first season but utterly shit remaining seasons show and it would take monumentally good writing and producing to make people forget everything past the season 1 finale.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:42 AM   #42
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Love first season Heroes, the rest..not so much. Maybe this is a chance at redemption. I'll give it a shot.
Old February 24 2014, 01:03 AM   #43
dansigal
Commander

SG-17 wrote: View Post
How long has this been in development? It seems like NBC is only giving it another shot because of the success of Arrow on the CW. Like stated before "Superheroes are cool again."
I'm sure the success of Arrow has nothing to do with this. Arrow has done very well for the CW under CW standards, and the genre crowd has been very pleased with it, but its really not that crazy of a breakout or ratings hit in general.

It sounds to me like NBC is taking its cue from a couple of things happening in network tv right now. 1) Networks in general and NBC in particular have been relying heavily on known properties with pre-built in audiences to try to jump start successful shows; see Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Friday Night Lights, Parenthood, About a Boy, Hannibal. Plus there are like 3 different Wizard of Oz related programs in development for nextr season. 2) Fox took that to a new level by bringing back 24 for an "event" series this May, which by all accounts is going to have all the success that NBC is hoping Heroes will have. 3) Fox has changed the game a bit this fall when it somewhat ditched the tv pilot process and instead greenlit a number of shows directly to series for the following tv season, and thereby pushing up the start time for the normal seasonal development/announcement period. NBC has seamingly responded by planning some direct to series developments already for the 2015/16 season.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 01:10 AM   #44
billcosby
Commodore

I won't be watching, NBC.
Even if you paid me... never again. Never ever, ever, ever again. I'm still pissed about how seasons 2-4 turned out... and I'm pissed at myself for being stubborn and sticking with it till the bitter end.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 01:19 AM   #45
DWF
Vice Admiral

Outside of the eclipse two parter in the third season and the strike shortened second season, I rather liked the show. And I am looking forward to them ending the cliffhanger the series ended on.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote