Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do you want to see a reboot of TOS for the next show?
Yes, I'd like to see Kirk & Spock (or other next gen crew) again on TV. 17 19.54%
Maybe... it depends on _____. 5 5.75%
No, I'd like to see a new crew. 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13 2014, 12:00 PM   #76
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: TV: A reboot or a new crew?

I like how, if you squint, the Continues Kirk appears to be Shatner Kirk. He nailed Shatner's posture and gestures.
But Spock is usually the worst casting choice in every remake. Can't find a second Nimoy.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 12:16 PM   #77
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

I'd want to see whatever would be most financially viable for the network in the long run as I would hate to see the show cancelled early.
Old February 13 2014, 06:23 PM   #78
TheSubCommander
Captain

I would like to see a new crew. Ideally, I would like a late 24th-early 25th century Starfleet crew, dealing with the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, and the remnants of the Romulan Star Empire....and a new threat. I'd prefer it to be set maybe 20-25 years after Nemesis. I would also like to see it tie the Abramsverse in somehow, possibly even have occasional guest appearances of characters from past shows and movies.

teacake wrote: View Post
If we get a new crew I want a woman captain.

Maybe we could get Lucy Lawless!!
I'd be totally down for that!
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 12:24 AM   #79
BigJake
Rear Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I'd want to see whatever would be most financially viable for the network in the long run as I would hate to see the show cancelled early.
I'd want to see something that entertains me. I think we can safely leave what's "most financially viable for the network" to its accountants.
Old February 14 2014, 08:23 AM   #80
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

^ Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Jeff Gerstmann would probably put it this way: You want the best Star Trek, I want the most Star Trek
Old February 14 2014, 10:45 AM   #81
drt
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I like how, if you squint, the Continues Kirk appears to be Shatner Kirk. He nailed Shatner's posture and gestures.
I find him a little too soft spoken, he often seems that he's only the "nice Kirk" from "The Enemy Within"
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But Spock is usually the worst casting choice in every remake. Can't find a second Nimoy.
Concur (although I do think Quinto does a nice job), and while I enjoy the various fan-continuations, I find the actors playing the principal characters all come across as fans getting to play dress-up - this is not a dig at the overall level of acting prowess, as I don't get this from the new characters, like the red-headed counselor in Continues (whose name is escaping me at the moment) or the guest parts.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 02:45 AM   #82
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

drt wrote: View Post
Concur (although I do think Quinto does a nice job), and while I enjoy the various fan-continuations, I find the actors playing the principal characters all come across as fans getting to play dress-up -
I hope the next Trek reboot gives us a completely different look for Spock, and not try so hard to imitate Nimoy's look, which is all too familiar to us. Give us a new look which evokes a sense of mytery to the character that audiences must have felt the first time they saw Nimoy's Spock in the 60s. The only physical aspect of the character which should be retained is the pointed ears. I would have liked Benedict Cumberbatch to have played Spock in the last two movies, looking exactly as he did in ID (with pointed ears, of course) and playing a character similar to the one he plays on Sherlock... namely Sherlock.
Old February 22 2014, 06:34 PM   #83
OpenMaw
Commander

Jeff Gerstmann would probably put it this way: You want the best Star Trek, I want the most Star Trek
I mean no personal insult or disrespect, but that's rather terrible. Isn't that essentially what put Star Trek in the hole in the first place? Too much, resulting in a creative bankruptcy?
Old February 23 2014, 12:31 PM   #84
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'd be totally fine seeing Kirk and Spock again for a new animated Trek series (especially one that takes place in its own continuity), but for live-action I'd definitely would want to see an all-new crew.
Old February 23 2014, 07:48 PM   #85
Captain Mike
Commodore

New crew in the original (or PRIME univerese, if that is what you prefer) definitely. Unfortunately if it was placed in the latter 1/2 of the 24th or even the 25th centuries, it would have to deal with the Romulan loss. This "let's reboot for reboots sake" tires me.
Old February 24 2014, 10:29 AM   #86
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I'd be totally fine seeing Kirk and Spock again for a new animated Trek series (especially one that takes place in its own continuity), but for live-action I'd definitely would want to see an all-new crew.
That I could live with, so long as Arex and M'Ress returned.
Old February 24 2014, 01:01 PM   #87
mendelin
Lieutenant Commander

View mendelin's Twitter Profile

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
New crew in the original (or PRIME univerese, if that is what you prefer) definitely. Unfortunately if it was placed in the latter 1/2 of the 24th or even the 25th centuries, it would have to deal with the Romulan loss.
It would be a good idea to catch the events of ST09 in Prime Universe. Of course, it should be totally new crew. They can deal with Romulan loss and ambassador Spock disappearance. May be they would tell us story about reunion of Romulan and Vulkan people.
In that case there is a great opportunity to make small crossovers with TNG&DS9&VOY. For example, they can add reference to B4-android story and even resolve it. They can revisit Dominion and changelings. And many more.
mendelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 03:45 PM   #88
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
I mean no personal insult or disrespect, but that's rather terrible. Isn't that essentially what put Star Trek in the hole in the first place? Too much, resulting in a creative bankruptcy?
Yeah, that's the commonly held wisdom pretty much. I guess that's sorta my point - it wasn't too much Trek for me back then, I was soaking it up. So, as long as it would be a sustainable business model (which it likely wouldn't be), more Trek would be fine by me.
Old February 24 2014, 07:24 PM   #89
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

New Crew. New Enterprise.

Make it look the best it possibly can. Give it one more layer of realistic detail than it ever had on TV.

Make the star of the show the ship and the mission.

Don't marry yourself to the characters. Tell their story, flesh them out and when their story is done let them go let someone else take over if the story demands it.

Make edgy character drama, social commentary and allegory in the usual optimistic Star Trek style.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 05:54 AM   #90
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

Skywalker wrote: View Post
New crew on a new Enterprise. Leave Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the original gang for the movies.
I agree. As much as I enjoy the current movies I would prefer a new cast with a new ship and characters personally speaking.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote