Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 6 2014, 12:41 AM   #166
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Tabulated review threads sorted by average score

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Good for him. I commend Sho for what he does, but he, nor you should have a monopoly on these things, especially Sho isn't a mod and it's not his place to say how a poll should or shouldn't be made.

But that of course is just my not so humble opinion.
I don't think I've seen any instances of Sho handing out ultimatums or suggesting he was a mod. But it's a pretty simple matter that if a poll doesn't fit the criteria of compatibility, it can't be included in tabulated results. Isn't it the community itself that wants comparability? I know I do.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:44 AM   #167
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ There was an incident in the past where I was a bit OCD about something (IIRC I was pointing out there was already an existing thread about the same topic) and since then Dimesdan is of the opinion that I'm power-mad or something and keeps me under his watchful eyes. Most of the time I'm actually too busy stroking my furless pet cat and worrying about the property taxes for my volcano hideout to actually plot and scheme, though.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:16 AM   #168
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Sho wrote: View Post
^ There was an incident in the past where I was a bit OCD about something (IIRC I was pointing out there was already an existing thread about the same topic) and since then Dimesdan is of the opinion that I'm power-mad or something and keeps me under his watchful eyes. Most of the time I'm actually too busy stroking my furless pet cat and worrying about the property taxes for my volcano hideout to actually plot and scheme, though.
Nicely put.
Old January 6 2014, 01:37 AM   #169
Christopher
Writer

It might be helpful if there were a way to reprogram the search algorithm to cover a wider range of poll phrasings. But the problem is that if different polls define their categories differently, it can lead to inconsistent results. For instance, as was discussed a while back, Goodreads defines three stars as "good" while the polls here, and ranking systems elsewhere, tend to define it as "average."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:52 AM   #170
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think anyone would suggest that the polls here are in any way scientific, but at least they're internally consistent. If you allow any poll format, so long as it includes 5 options, there goes that. The tabulation becomes entirely pointless.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:59 AM   #171
Sho
Fleet Captain

Yep, that's the tricky bit. I decided that Outstanding and Excellent are similar enough to treat as equivalents to be able to add a half-dozen or so threads that differed only in that one respect, but with greater differences the options bias the results differently and you can't really compare them well anymore.

For example in the format under consideration I feel that "Good" and "So-So" tier differently than "Above Average" and "Average" (because I think the average Star Trek novel is pretty good) and "Boring" is much more specific than "Below Average". I could see myself voting differently with those options than with the other options.

But it doesn't need to rely on just my judgement of course. If ever a consensus emerges that a particular poll format should be added (or for selection to work differently in general) for consideration I'm open to doing that.
Old January 6 2014, 06:08 AM   #172
JD
Admiral

Personally, I think the mods should just make the poll options that Sho's site uses a standard that all polls have to use. Then we can get as many books as possible on the site, and even without that it makes it a lot easier to compare books if you're skimming threads.
Old January 15 2014, 03:00 AM   #173
trampledamage
Clone

Nah - us mods aren't power-hungry either. It's up to the thread author, if they want to use their own rankings they can. I'm happy to go in and amend them afterwards to fit Sho's rankings if asked (and I've posted in tom's thread asking him that)

With regard to putting polls on old threads - I can have a go at adding polls if you want, but everyone would then have to go and vote for it to have a meaningful result.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 09:45 PM   #174
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

One thing I noticed: Dark Mirror is on the list twice now with the same numbers, I guess due to the merger of the threads.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 09:53 PM   #175
Sho
Fleet Captain

Yep - thanks, kicked it now.

Background explanation: The app works by retrieving the list of new threads in the last 24 hours and scanning it for review threads, then writing the URLs of any it finds to a file - since it runs twice daily, that works out to continuously following all new threads in the forum. After a merger there are two valid URLs leading to the same thread, and there's no code in place to toss one of them in that case. There's ways to handle this (check for duplicate titles, or try to notice the redirect, etc.), it just didn't come up so far.
Old January 27 2014, 12:36 AM   #176
JD
Admiral

Sorry about that.
Old February 23 2014, 08:23 AM   #177
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

The first "rotation" of the Classic Review threads is nearing its end, so I wanted to ask the group mind if I should continue with it or not, and if so if any changes are necessary (choice of books etc.). I'm totally willing to continue, but don't want to impose those review threads on the forum.

Some statistics, the review threads so far got the following number of votes:

TOS: Ex Machina 46 votes
TNG: Death in Winter 25 votes
DS9: Warped 20 votes
VOY: String Theory: Cohesion 13 votes
ENT: By the Book 14 votes
IKS Gorkon: A Good Day to die 14 votes
TTN: Taking Wing 11 votes

So the number of voters has declined over the course of the rotation and seems to have stabilized around a dozen voters. I guess when the "big series" (TOS/TNG) come around again the numbers might rise somewhat , but the 10-15 range seems to be what you can call the regular voter base.

Upcoming planned schedule:

Week 8/2014: SCE: The Belly of the Beast * Dean Wesley Smith (closing out the first rotation, probably will post this later today)

Week 10/2014: TOS: The Pandora Principle *Carolyn Clowes

Week 12/2014: TNG: Resistance * J.M: Dillard

Week 14/2014: DS9: Avatar, Book One * S.D. Perry

Week 16/2014: VOY: String Theory, Book Two: Fusion * Kirsten Beyer

Week 18/2014: ENT: What Price Honor? * David Stern

Week 20/2014: I.K.S. Gorkon: Honor Bound * Keith R.A. DeCandido

Week 22/2014: Titan: The Red King * Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin

Week 24/2014: New Frontier: House of Cards * Peter David
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 04:15 PM   #178
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Good call on Pandora Principle. That book is killer.
Old February 23 2014, 04:42 PM   #179
JWolf
Commodore

I think all these polls should be tossed out and replaced with new ones. The problem is that we don't have enough options. We only have 5 options when really, we should have 10 options (i.e., 10 stars).

If I want to vote in between, I cannot. Not all these options fit. A middle option would fit better in a lot of cases. So instead of 5 stars, let's move to 10 stars. It's easy enough to create new polls with 10 stars instead of 5. Granted, it would mean starting over, but it would also mean a lot more accurate results.

What could be done is new threads created and then the moderators can merge the old thread in the new thread without the original first post and then delete the original threads. That would work very well and once done, we'd be all set.
Old February 23 2014, 05:03 PM   #180
zarkon
Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
The first "rotation" of the Classic Review threads is nearing its end, so I wanted to ask the group mind if I should continue with it or not, and if so if any changes are necessary (choice of books etc.). I'm totally willing to continue, but don't want to impose those review threads on the forum.
I think it's great as-is, no need for any changes whatsoever. The threads are a fun way to reminisce on old books, so don't think you're "imposing" in any way. People are free to ignore them if they want(as I will any enterprise & voyager ones ;P ), and it's not as if you're spamming the board with them.

Defcon wrote: View Post
So the number of voters has declined over the course of the rotation and seems to have stabilized around a dozen voters. I guess when the "big series" (TOS/TNG) come around again the numbers might rise somewhat , but the 10-15 range seems to be what you can call the regular voter base.
I guess when it's not new books you're dealing with a far smaller pool - people who have both read the book, but also remember enough to be able to give a review score. I had to reread "A Good Day to Die" the other week to be able to give a score, since all I remembered was that there were challenges and that I enjoyed it. Not much that can be done about this.