Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 21 2014, 01:38 AM   #16
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek ~ Project: Potemkin "Duty Bound" S02-A

1) It appears the footage itself is at 480p resolution at best (with some of the graphics displays even lower); so suggesting people watch it at 720p (HD resolution) doesn't improve the video quality.

Overall a compotent job, but a couple of things from a writing perspective that (IMO) doesn't make a lot of sense:

- Either the Captain is incompetent, or he has a VERY insubordinate crewmember as, after the Helmsman is killed, either he shouldn't be ordering his tactical/weapons officer to take the Helm. And the crewman shouldn't be effectively telling the Captain off with zero repercussions.

- And while the death of the Helmsman is tragic; we have one bridge officer asking for help to move the body IN THE HEAT OF BATTLE where the hero ship itself is taking major damage?
^^^
I doubt you'd see this type of behavior on the 1701 DURING a pitched space battle; and like I said to me it comes across as the Captain being shown as incompetent/the crew as unprofessional.

As to the technical side, as has been mentioned, it appears mike levels weren't being consistently monitored during filming. The post production integration of the control displays and such was decently done.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 03:03 AM   #17
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks for the feedback, NoName!

The footage is indeed 480, but as visually demonstrated in our thread about THE NIGHT THE STARS FELL FROM THE SKY, YouTube still compresses the footage (and audio) even though they say they don't. You will get better quality watching the 720 version even though it's not true 720. You'll get even better quality watching the VIMEO version which is not nearly as compressed.

In regards to the situation involving the death of the Navigator, originally it was to be the Environmental officer asking the Security officer for help, the reasoning was that they were the two most-expendable present. Unfortunately, two cast members failed to show at the shoot.

Rather than delay the "filming," we went with what we had. Our Tactical officer is actually a Science officer who is out of her element (and the actress had to learn a different set of lines). The Science station was occupied by my wife, who helps out as an extra in addition to production host. Her lines were distributed to other cast members. And the Environmental officer's lines were given to the Engineering officer. I will admit that this may have hurt this episode, but it's a reasonable work-around. This was the only available weekend for most of the cast, and I think we made the best of it.

As far as mic levels, we did not have a separate monitor for the audio. The camera operator is responsible for the audio as well as the video. Our new equipment allows a sound technician to monitor the levels on the TASCAM from the two mics, but the productions with this capability are several months away from being released.

Lastly, glad you liked the panel animations. John Northam did a wonderful job with them!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 11:56 PM   #18
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Before the thread disappears, I'd be remiss if I didn't again thank all who have taken the time to critique. All viewpoints are valuable to me, and in fact (I hope no one minds), I do go through and copy all comments made on each episode and save them to individual folders. So long after these posts have sunken away your advice remains with me, only a couple keystrokes away, for my easy reference.

Best,

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 12:03 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Before the thread disappears, I'd be remiss if I didn't again thank all who have taken the time to critique. All viewpoints are valuable to me, and in fact (I hope no one minds), I do go through and copy all comments made on each episode and save them to individual folders. So long after these posts have sunken away your advice remains with me, only a couple keystrokes away, for my easy reference.

Best,

Sir Rhosis
Good for you. I take it you saw my recent post about dialogs over in the Fan Film Writer's Primer?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Well, let me put it this way. I save posts from that thread, as well.

The Filmmakers Primer thread, not as much, because as I often point out, I am not a filmmaker. Honestly, the technical side of things doesn't interest me (we used to get tickets, back when I was in the Marines, for all the game shows, sitcoms, and so forth -- in those days, stuff like "Family Ties," "Solid Gold," "The Price is Right," etc. After a while I quit going because I was bored out of my skull).

I love the finished product, not the technical process. Which is why, when the conversation turns to mic levels and shot composition, and the like, I shy away as I'm ignorant in those areas.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Old February 23 2014, 12:23 AM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I didn't mention the Filmmmaker's thread or expect you to read it, but ok.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 12:26 AM   #22
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Oh, I read all the Fan Films threads, just to keep up with what is being released, to see the artwork, the photos, etc. I don't comment a lot, but I read them and the TOS threads pretty much daily.

Thanks again.

Sir Rhosis
Old March 1 2014, 08:38 PM   #23
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

A Portuguese (BR) subtitled version for this production is now on-line:

S02-A "Cadeia de Comando" http://youtu.be/73r82bkYEL8

Our thanks to Ulisses Rogerio Galazzo for his fine work on making this possible!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote