Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 21 2014, 09:35 PM   #1
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant

What's wrong with Wesley?

Why do so many trekkies hate Wesley Crusher?

Did I miss something when I watched TNG?
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 09:47 PM   #2
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: What's wrong with Wesley?

His writers, who too frequently made him out to be smarter than the adults.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

He was a teenage genius who put trained and experienced officers to shame on an almost weekly basis, it was just a bit ridiculous and totally unrelatable. I was so happy when Beverly slapped him in "Sarek"--and I don't agree with the hitting of children, but he just so deserved it.
Old February 21 2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I think once Wesley was out of the ridiculous sweaters in in the gray uniform he was much better, especially as he less and less became the gee-whiz solution-of-the-week character. The first season hate I totally get, second season and on I think he's actually a decent character.
Old February 21 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

I like both Wesley and especially Neelix so I dont really get the hate either.

I remember liking him when I was young [and thinking how cool his life would be] and even now im able to simply accept that he is a genius. It doesn't make me angry or insecure.

The problem for me was he could be a bit lame at times or grate a little bit but generally I think all the hate is OTT.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 12:19 AM   #6
Mojochi
Commodore

I found his entire presense to be less believable than Data being unable to use contractions
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 12:26 AM   #7
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I liked Wesley when I was younger just because he was a wish fulfillment character for me.

I don't hate him like some Trekkies do. Especially in season three he became much better written. But in season one, he's just too magically brilliant, and his behavior is not believable for a teenager. It would be one thing if he was only offering the occasional 'Think outside the box' ideas from his unique perspective, but in S1 he's better at everybody's job than they are and he thinks and behaves like a sheltered rich kid who's never met another person his age.

If they had made him as smart as he was but gave him a more believable personality for a teenager like Jake Sisko's it would be fine.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Lance
Commodore

I can't speak for the audience at home, but my understanding is that the Enterprise crew themselves really hated Wesley because he was the only one who used to use the last of the toilet paper but never replaced it with a new roll afterwards.

I mean, there's no excuse for that kind of behaviour. It's just dickish. No wonder Beverly went off to Starfleet medical without him.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 01:20 PM   #9
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

I don't mind him being smarter than adults – I was smarter when I was younger than I am now. I don't mind him having the knowledge and ability of a person trained in the art – that also happens from time to time, but after hard work. I don't mind him solving certain problems they can't either – sometimes the problems can be out of the scope of their training and experience.

Problem was, he was a contradiction of traits and writers went out of their way to make him seem a genius. One moment he's acting stupid, immature and can't tie his own shoes, yet next moment he's solving a crisis. The crisis seems to be solvable by the crew, yet the crew can't, almost as if they wanted to leave to him to solve it. He's inexperienced, yet he's flawless when solving the hard critical problems. To make up for that, he creates a terrible mess when making a school experiment, under circumstances so exceptional that it still makes him look like a genius. His successes were never done in a believable way, and his inaneness on other matters was overdone in a way that made him look even less believable.

There's also how he was mindful and always almost stereotypically did the right thing, yet managed to go so wrong that another kid died when he mindlessly followed Locarno, and then proceeded to lie about it. At one point it felt like his successes and failures were pulled out randomly out of some book of contrived examples.

I am not sure, but I think that played quite a lot in what made him unlikeable. I was younger than him when I started hating him, I don't think I had such reflections at the time.
Old February 22 2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Bah Humbug
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I can't speak for the audience at home, but my understanding is that the Enterprise crew themselves really hated Wesley because he was the only one who used to use the last of the toilet paper but never replaced it with a new roll afterwards.

I mean, there's no excuse for that kind of behaviour. It's just dickish. No wonder Beverly went off to Starfleet medical without him.
I thought that in the future we were using the three shells?

I'll list one reason I disliked Spaceboy and it's not even the most important reason:

I'm with Starfleet. We don't lie.
Old February 22 2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The real answer to your question in the body of your post is "Haters gonna hate". Wesley only saved the ship..1 1/2? 2 1/2 times? I forget.

In the subject line, what is wrong with him? Everything. His clothes, his boring personality, his lack of chemistry with Bev. No that all this is the writers fault and not Wheaton's. Poor guy. Between the fans and Berman ****ing him over he must have needed years of therapy.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 08:55 PM   #12
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I think once Wesley was out of the ridiculous sweaters in in the gray uniform he was much better, especially as he less and less became the gee-whiz solution-of-the-week character. The first season hate I totally get, second season and on I think he's actually a decent character.
That's sums up my feelings on the character as well. Once they gave him a regular job I had no problem with him...he could have just been a green ensign character at that point.
Old February 22 2014, 10:29 PM   #13
JD5000
Commander

The problem I have with Wesley is that he is one-dimensional. The character does not have a dark side, which all real people possess. We see it in most of the other characters, even if it's in their own repression of it.

The only time we get a glimpse of an edge to Wesley is in Journey's End, where Wesley gets a little irate at the Federation's treatment of Native American colonists (which is a ridiculous enough plot device). Although this something any human being with a sense of morality would abhor, this is the moment in Wesley's life when the Traveler decides that he is ready to transcend humanity?

****in puh-lease.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 11:27 PM   #14
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

For me, it was the way he was used, and the way characters reacted to him. If he was written as an intelligent kid who reached higher than he should have, and occasionally got burned because of it, he would have been fine. It's that he was treated as a wunderkind (in-show and metatextually) that irritated me.

As others noted, his annoyance factor was greatly reduced when he became a cadet

It's what people who watched Smallville would call the 'Lana factor' - a character who can do no wrong in the minds of characters and writers despite being a pretty crappy creation.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 02:19 AM   #15
Lance
Commodore

JD5000 wrote: View Post
The only time we get a glimpse of an edge to Wesley is in Journey's End, where Wesley gets a little irate at the Federation's treatment of Native American colonists (which is a ridiculous enough plot device). Although this something any human being with a sense of morality would abhor, this is the moment in Wesley's life when the Traveler decides that he is ready to transcend humanity?

****in puh-lease.
I like to think that the Traveller had been watching Wesley's mounting stupidity throughout the situation, and had decided to step in because he could see Wes was going to get himself shot by Cardassians if he continued carrying on the way he was. "Transcending his existence" was just the most convenient way of saving Wesley from himself.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote