Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 21 2014, 11:47 PM   #811
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Just watched The Moonbase, which was ok. I think the animated episodes put me off slightly, which is odd because I really liked how they did The Invasion.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 12:02 AM   #812
diankra
Commodore

Different company doing the animation. Cosgrove Hall did Invasion, but none of the later ones. Long story but it was among other things a bit of a 'loss leader', where they overspent in the hope that the sales would justify a higher budget next time; they didn't, so the followups have been more limited, to mstch the budget available.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 12:49 AM   #813
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm seeing a bit of a theme in the first four stories of Season 14. There seems to be a thread of decaying civilizations. Mandragora with the pre-Renaissance Middle Ages, Hand of Fear with the loss of Kastria to its mad king, The Deadly Assassin with the Time Lords and The Face of Evil with its society fraying under a mad computer.

The Deadly Assassin was probably more interesting when it first aired and its peek into Galifrey and the Time Lords. The story itself is surprisingly primal at times as the Doctor fights the Master in the Matrix. Eat your heart out, Keanu. The Master mask is pretty damn creepy, if it wasn't so static, it would've been a home run. There's some really trippy going ons in this one and despite Gallifrey it's one of the least "Who" feeling stories.

After The Hand of Fear, we get the similarly named The Face of Evil. Apparently this one had a working title of The Day God Went Mad, which was probably too awesome to live. I thought the story of the computer that went mad after the Doctor accidentally left his personality imprinted on it sounds like something you might see in a nuWho episode. The society worshipping a computer had echoes of a lot of classic Trek episodes as well. You know if the Doctor hadn't corrected this Jim Kirk would've at some point.

Luckily Leela was introduced so The Doctor didn't have to keep talking to himself for exposition as we saw in the beginning. (Though I kind of liked the Star Wars-esque crawl in The Deadly Assassin). Probably goes without saying but she's pretty easy on the eyes but I like that she's tough and capable as well. Jim Kirk probably would've made his mark here as well.

I wonder if Capaldi will play a Doctor who'd toss a Horda at a guy giving him sass.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 01:16 AM   #814
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Just did SarahJane's First Serial with Pertwee, Time Warrior. I never noticed it before, with either early Donna, or with Time Warrior and SarahJane, but, damn, SarahJane's first scene with Irongron, totally reminds me of Donna's most agressive and naive performances

Side note for anyone who might know. In Six's story Timelash, they rip down a part of a wall, and show the Doctor who was there previously (And apparently influenced the current society there). Was there ever an expanded Universe (Comics, Audio, Book, Podcast) story of Pertwee's Doctor visiting Timelash Planet?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 02:29 AM   #815
diankra
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Just did SarahJane's First Serial with Pertwee, Time Warrior. I never noticed it before, with either early Donna, or with Time Warrior and SarahJane, but, damn, SarahJane's first scene with Irongron, totally reminds me of Donna's most agressive and naive performances

Side note for anyone who might know. In Six's story Timelash, they rip down a part of a wall, and show the Doctor who was there previously (And apparently influenced the current society there). Was there ever an expanded Universe (Comics, Audio, Book, Podcast) story of Pertwee's Doctor visiting Timelash Planet?
Don't think so, but a book doea mention tha Yates went along on that trip. And Jo mentions visiting Karfel in Sja Death of the Doctor.
Old February 22 2014, 03:41 AM   #816
diankra
Commodore

Don't think so, but a book doea mention tha Yates went along on that trip. And Jo mentions visiting Karfel in Sja Death of the Doctor.
Old February 24 2014, 06:42 AM   #817
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I just watched The Deadly Assassin. It was ok, but it dragged a bit too much at times to be more than ok. The skeleton looking version of the master was really creepy, though.

I got The Caves of Androzani DVD for a good price off of Amazon, so that will probably be the next thing I watch. I'm considering using that to continue on to the Sixth Doctor, but I haven't decided yet.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:03 PM   #818
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I watched The Caves of Androzani. It was a good, enjoyable story. That said, I don't get why some places call it the best classic Doctor Who story. Like I said, I thought it was good, but it had a few problems, like being slow in places and somewhat lackluster villains. I enjoyed it, but I just don't see why it would be called the best classic who serial. Maybe if I'd seen more of the 5th Doctor it would make more sense, but honestly the story felt fairly self contained, outside of the very end with the Doctor seeing all these faces as he died.

Next up will probably be The Twin Dilemma.
Old February 28 2014, 07:56 PM   #819
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I watched The Caves of Androzani. It was a good, enjoyable story. That said, I don't get why some places call it the best classic Doctor Who story. Like I said, I thought it was good, but it had a few problems, like being slow in places and somewhat lackluster villains. I enjoyed it, but I just don't see why it would be called the best classic who serial. Maybe if I'd seen more of the 5th Doctor it would make more sense, but honestly the story felt fairly self contained, outside of the very end with the Doctor seeing all these faces as he died.

Some people were so turned off by The Twin Dilemma, it put them off the show entirely, and they feel Caves of Androzani was the last Good story (I happen to like quite a few of The Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy stories, myself), so, maybe that's why? I do think it's great, but, yea, I agree it's not The BEST!!!!

I'm chugging along (Been through all the Pertwee, and then into T. Baker) and watching Brain of Morbius now

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 08:52 PM   #820
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Leela ... she's pretty easy on the eyes but I like that she's tough and capable as well. Jim Kirk probably would've made his mark here as well.
You don't know Leela! She'd have him on the floor with her knife to his throat thisfast, and the Doctor would have to talk her out of killing him!

For some bizarre reason, Leela kisses a man in "Image of the Fendahl"... I wouldn't have blamed anyone else for having done that since he was my favorite of the guest characters, but it was out of character for Leela.

And when it came to getting married, Leela chose the man. He just stood there, with a surprised look on his face, and "yes, dear" running through his mind.

I watched The Caves of Androzani. It was a good, enjoyable story. That said, I don't get why some places call it the best classic Doctor Who story. Like I said, I thought it was good, but it had a few problems, like being slow in places and somewhat lackluster villains. I enjoyed it, but I just don't see why it would be called the best classic who serial. Maybe if I'd seen more of the 5th Doctor it would make more sense, but honestly the story felt fairly self contained, outside of the very end with the Doctor seeing all these faces as he died.[/I]
It's the execution scenes and the regeneration scene that make this episode a standout. As for the Fifth Doctor's death, "all these faces" are his Companions and the Master. His calling Adric's name indicates he still feels guilt over Adric's death.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:21 PM   #821
DWF
Vice Admiral

Caves of Androzani is self contained like just about all of the old series serials. But Caves should show you just how dangerous the Doctor can be when wants to be, be was septerated from Peri by Stotz's men, chained up, taken off of planet and at one point blindfolded. When the mercs went to sleep the Doctor freed himself, took the ship back to Androzani minor, escaped from the mercs, found Peri, got the bat's milk, carried Peri the TARDIS and left the planet. All without a sonic screwdriver or any other toy or gimmick.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 09:28 PM   #822
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

In reference to the sonic screwdriver, this is why I got exasperated with the sonic screwdriver deus-ex-machina in Day of the Doctor. The Fifth Doctor's sonic screwdriver was destroyed in one of his early episodes (Four to Doomsday?), and he'd have had to make a new one.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 12:12 AM   #823
Starkers
Admiral

^The Visitation

Androzani has a few misteps (the dragon for example) but on the whole it's pretty fantastic, and it is still the best regeneration story for me, the Doctor 'dies', not saving the universe, not saving billions, no, he goes through hell saving one single girl, his companion he only met the story before!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 06:57 AM   #824
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Some people were so turned off by The Twin Dilemma, it put them off the show entirely, and they feel Caves of Androzani was the last Good story (I happen to like quite a few of The Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy stories, myself), so, maybe that's why? I do think it's great, but, yea, I agree it's not The BEST!!!!

I'm dreading The Twin Dilemma, and I'm sure it won't compare to The Caves of Androzani. Still, the 6th Doctor's run is pretty small, so I kind of feel like going through his stuff and then on to the 7th Doctor eventually, along with continuing watching the 4th. I'm in no rush, but 6 might get priority for a bit, when I watch Doctor Who.

Starkers wrote: View Post
^The Visitation

Androzani has a few misteps (the dragon for example) but on the whole it's pretty fantastic, and it is still the best regeneration story for me, the Doctor 'dies', not saving the universe, not saving billions, no, he goes through hell saving one single girl, his companion he only met the story before!
Honestly I'd put the 10th Doctor's regeneration as my favorite, with 11th as second, but from classic Doctors I've only seen the 5th, 7th, and 8th Doctor's regeneration, so its possible 1,3 or 4 could beat them (I don't think 2 or 6 had specific regeneration scenes, although I could be wrong about 2, I know he was forcibly regenerated but I don't think they showed a physical transition from him to 3).
Old March 1 2014, 08:43 AM   #825
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Caves of Androzani is a case of brilliant storytelling, AND excellent characterization. Its almost Shakespearean in the way every character reacts to the Doctor and Peri's arrival in Androzani, best examplified by the villains of the piece, the yin and yang of the story. Its a marvelous adventure story thats action-packed and emotionally investing. Furthermore, its a more personal, smaller at stakes story. And more than anything, it did set the bar for the Peter Davison Big Finish stories - Spare Parts, The Burning Prince and The Kingmaker, at the very least, seem influenced by it in terms of pacing and tempo, and certainly the Fifth Doctor's characterization. Its impact is enormous, and is felt even on TV's Who - RTD reportedly said the Tenth Doctor's demise is evocative of the Fifth's sacrifice for Peri, and indeed I see how, in certain terms, End of Time rehashes/homages certain points of this amazing serial.

There's a reason why its a fan-favorite, and has been for many years: Its just that good.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return

Last edited by Emperor-Tiberius; March 1 2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: grammer fixes
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote