Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2014, 01:45 AM   #2176
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Nope. She won't. See above.
I'm not saying she'll be in Westeros as season 5 starts, but rather that she'll get there by the end of the season, or perhaps the season ends with her looking upon the shores of Westeros for the first time. At any rate, I think she'll be there by season 6 at the latest. I think they're going to deviate more and more from the books, condensing things and really hitting the accelerator. Of course I could turn out to be wrong.
There's no reason for that to happen. It took him so long to finish Feast and Dance because he had to scrap the 5 year gap and to deal with the Meerenese knot. None of this is the case now.
A lot of people have been telling themselves that, but it's becoming apparent that he just doesn't have the juice left to deliver the final two books in three- or even four-year turnarounds apiece. If Winds is published before 2016 I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting it. That'll be a five-year gap between Dance and Winds. Another five-year gap would mean the publication of Dream in 2021.
If WoW is published in 2015, or early in 2016, the show will not overtake the books with tWoW
Publication in late 2015 or in 2016 would put at least some of Winds on screen before it's published. I think it'll be a pretty big chunk of it, too.
...but we must accept the high probability that it will be finished before aDoS is published. That doesn't mean that D&D will not get to read GRRM's manuscripts before they do the scripts.
Agreed.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; February 20 2014 at 02:10 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 02:39 AM   #2177
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Nope. She won't. See above.
I'm not saying she'll be in Westeros as season 5 starts, but rather that she'll get there by the end of the season, or perhaps the season ends with her looking upon the shores of Westeros for the first time. At any rate, I think she'll be there by season 6 at the latest. I think they're going to deviate more and more from the books, condensing things and really hitting the accelerator. Of course I could turn out to be wrong.
There's no reason for that to happen. It took him so long to finish Feast and Dance because he had to scrap the 5 year gap and to deal with the Meerenese knot. None of this is the case now.
A lot of people have been telling themselves that, but it's becoming apparent that he just doesn't have the juice left to deliver the final two books in three- or even four-year turnarounds apiece. If Winds is published before 2016 I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting it. That'll be a five-year gap between Dance and Winds. Another five-year gap would mean the publication of Dream in 2021.
If WoW is published in 2015, or early in 2016, the show will not overtake the books with tWoW
Publication in late 2015 or in 2016 would put at least some of Winds on screen before it's published. I think it'll be a pretty big chunk of it, too.
...but we must accept the high probability that it will be finished before aDoS is published. That doesn't mean that D&D will not get to read GRRM's manuscripts before they do the scripts.
Agreed.
The only characters who could get a bit more of their tWoW story in season 5 are Sansa, Bran and maybe Brienne/Jaime, since they seem to be speeding up her storyline, and his will eventually be tied to hers. But Jon and the people at the Wall, Cersei and the King's Landing, Theon, Dany and those around her, Tyrion have a lot of stuff and storylines that make sense as an arc for one season. Maybe Stannis, Tyrion and Dany get a little bit from their early tWoW chapters. I do think they will move at least one of the two big battles that should happen early in tWoW towards the end of season 5. But some of the other things from AFFC/ADWD may get moved around or delayed until season 6.

Also, I wonder when they will start filling out the details about the background - Rhaegar, Lyanna, RR etc. It's been speculated in the fandom that they may use Bran and his greenseeing to cover some of that.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 02:55 AM   #2178
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

The one thing you have to keep in mind is this, how long will HBO actually allow GoT to continue. Because as episodes go by, it just becomes more and more expensive to produce. Hell, they may end it after 7 seasons and do a wrap up movie. No where does it say that HBO has to produce the entirety of Games of Thrones.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 03:01 AM   #2179
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It will become more expensive, but they'll probably want to run it for the full eight seasons envisioned by D&D so that they have it as an anchor while their slate of drama shows undergoes big changes over the next few years. Of course there are cast contracts to be renegotiated for that to happen, though.
Old February 20 2014, 03:14 AM   #2180
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
The one thing you have to keep in mind is this, how long will HBO actually allow GoT to continue. Because as episodes go by, it just becomes more and more expensive to produce. Hell, they may end it after 7 seasons and do a wrap up movie. No where does it say that HBO has to produce the entirety of Games of Thrones.
It's one of their most popular shows, why would they want to give it up? If it was less successful, they could be thinking about axing it, but as it is, they'll want to milk that cow for what it's worth. There was some talk a while ago about them talking with GRRM about buying the rights to adapt Dunk and Egg. (They would presumably do it after GoT is finished, and it would also cost less, so why not?)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 04:07 AM   #2181
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Hell, they may end it after 7 seasons and do a wrap up movie. No where does it say that HBO has to produce the entirety of Games of Thrones.
HBO would say that. It's their highest-rated program, and it would look bad for them to shunt the climax off into theaters, as it would irritate their subscribers.

As far as the book/season thing goes, possibly Bran and Davos will need material from Book 6 in Season 5, but everybody else should probably be okay. Season 6 will be Book 6 material for almost everybody from the get-go, and the few that still have some Books 4/5 left over will get there.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 04:13 AM   #2182
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think they'll bring some of the climatic moments delayed to the first part of Winds forward to the end of season 5.
Old February 20 2014, 04:44 AM   #2183
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I think that either the Battle of Ice or the Battle of Fire will be in season 5; the latter might make more sense, since Jon's assassination would be a fine ending (in fact, in some ways that works better, if people don't know what actually happened to Stannis and co.).

- Homer Simpson
Old February 20 2014, 05:11 AM   #2184
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Fortunately, they aren't going to do something that stupid just because a portion of audience can't wait to see Dany and her DRAAAGONS invade Westeros. The fact that they are doing the Meereen story with Daario and Missandei as regulars for season 5, and with season 4 only going as far as
I'm curious how non-book fans of the show will respond to Dany spending the next two seasons twiddling her thumbs in Meereen and not coming anywhere close to Westeros. Not to mention the lack of other things.

Last edited by DarthPipes; February 21 2014 at 04:00 AM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 05:03 PM   #2185
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Was thinking that as well - she spends way too much time there.

I suspect we'll be seeing the majority of the following season watching Tyrion meandering about Essos to get to her after he gets out of King's Landing. And that is likely not going to happen until at least 2/3 of the way through this season. His parting scene with daddy should be awesome.
Old February 20 2014, 05:21 PM   #2186
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, the real reason Martin has kept Dany away from Westeros for so long is because he probably realized the dragons made her too powerful and she'd end the story too quickly. He either had to find a way of killing her dragons (which would leave her more or less powerless) or just keeping her away.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 06:03 PM   #2187
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Dany was never going to get to Westeros all that quickly. When the series was a trilogy, her landing there was planned for the end of book two.
Old February 21 2014, 04:00 AM   #2188
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Yeah but now it's book five and Dany isn't anywhere close to getting to Westeros.

Last edited by DarthPipes; February 21 2014 at 04:30 PM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 07:23 AM   #2189
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Dany's involvement in Meereen is the result of a kind of awkward series of revisions to the original plan for the series. As the first book in the trilogy (A Game of Thrones) expanded into two and then three books (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords), he devised the idea of a five-year gap to allow certain characters to age, etc. Ruling Meereen was Dany's holding position for the gap, and the fourth book would open with a recounting of what had happened there. But Martin (correctly, I think) decided that the five-year gap really didn't work for a number of stories, so it was junked.

- Homer Simpson
Old February 24 2014, 06:00 AM   #2190
Yoda
Rear Admiral

GRRM is gonna keel over and Benioff's interpretation will be definitive.