RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,385
Posts: 5,357,690
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 609
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 19 2014, 02:40 PM   #196
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
To me Worf became a rounded character on DS9, something he never was on TNG. DS9 gave him the opportunity to truly fall in love, experience command, meet a klingon that taught him what it meant to be a klingon in the truest sense (Martok). Worf got to loosen up, have fun and for me DS9 defines his character. In Ezri he had the opportunity to open up to someone who knew him deeply and could give him good counsel. I think DS9 would have been missing something with out both of these characters.
Any TNG character would have profited from being a regular on DS9. The writing for DS9 was FAR superior to the writing for TNG.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 03:53 PM   #197
Enterpriserules
Fleet Captain
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

^ I completely agree. DS9 was about the characters first, always
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:10 PM   #198
AverageWriter
Lieutenant
 
Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
^ I completely agree. DS9 was about the characters first, always
I think that's why DS9 is my favorite Trek, even when Worf was added. TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY and ENT had season chunks that were bad- DS9 had only individual episodes (mostly involving attempts at "funny" that fell flat), but was overall a really, really strong show.
AverageWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:18 PM   #199
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Disguised as Reb Bad Thoughts
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
To me Worf became a rounded character on DS9, something he never was on TNG. DS9 gave him the opportunity to truly fall in love, experience command, meet a klingon that taught him what it meant to be a klingon in the truest sense (Martok). Worf got to loosen up, have fun and for me DS9 defines his character. In Ezri he had the opportunity to open up to someone who knew him deeply and could give him good counsel. I think DS9 would have been missing something with out both of these characters.
Any TNG character would have profited from being a regular on DS9. The writing for DS9 was FAR superior to the writing for TNG.
Isn't that true for every character, regular or not? Tom Riker became more than the man obsessed over career and lost love. Lwaxana Troi, when she exposed herself in order to give Odo a place to regenerate, revealed her generosity. Gowron's weaknesses and petty jealousies were exposed. The only characters that didn't work better were Q and Vash, but their episode tried to replicate TNG.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:28 PM   #200
AverageWriter
Lieutenant
 
Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

In all honesty, Bad Thoughts?

Q worked because he was an impish force of chaos set up right next to the immovable, intractable straight-faced Picard. It just didn't feel right when taken out of that setting. Sisko isn't anyone's straight-man.
AverageWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:50 PM   #201
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Disguised as Reb Bad Thoughts
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

AverageWriter wrote: View Post
In all honesty, Bad Thoughts?

Q worked because he was an impish force of chaos set up right next to the immovable, intractable straight-faced Picard. It just didn't feel right when taken out of that setting. Sisko isn't anyone's straight-man.
I think we agree: TNG-style conflict did not work on DS9, and Q's character suffered. There were major limits to how far TNG could be replicated by DS9.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:20 PM   #202
Enterpriserules
Fleet Captain
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
To me Worf became a rounded character on DS9, something he never was on TNG. DS9 gave him the opportunity to truly fall in love, experience command, meet a klingon that taught him what it meant to be a klingon in the truest sense (Martok). Worf got to loosen up, have fun and for me DS9 defines his character. In Ezri he had the opportunity to open up to someone who knew him deeply and could give him good counsel. I think DS9 would have been missing something with out both of these characters.
Any TNG character would have profited from being a regular on DS9. The writing for DS9 was FAR superior to the writing for TNG.
Isn't that true for every character, regular or not? Tom Riker became more than the man obsessed over career and lost love. Lwaxana Troi, when she exposed herself in order to give Odo a place to regenerate, revealed her generosity. Gowron's weaknesses and petty jealousies were exposed. The only characters that didn't work better were Q and Vash, but their episode tried to replicate TNG.
Crushed it!
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:53 PM   #203
JJohnson
Captain
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

FreedPhotons wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
What do those things have to do with being a Mary Sue? The term seems to be thrown around now as lazy shorthand for complaining about any female character.
Yeah, it's become about as meaningless as "jumping the shark" or "politically correct."
I think I have made the effort to state my case in particular detail, so no, I don't think it's a "lazy short-hand" or "meaningless". I don't say that about other female heroines. Just her.
I would say both those phrases still hold meaning. The first means to me that a TV show isn't worth watching anymore and ran out of ideas, and the second that someone is avoiding (or being forced to avoid) saying something because it'll make someone else mad to hear the brutally honest truth (likely due to political persuasion).

As for Ezri, she was not worth the time to me. She just wasn't appealing as a character. Give me Brandy Ledford, Diora Baird, Laura Bertram, or a dozen other actresses over the one chosen, and that would've been a good start.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:33 PM   #204
Enterpriserules
Fleet Captain
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

^ For me Nicole was what won me over almost immediately, her sweetness and difference from Terry really had me invested that this was going to be a different character with her own strengths and weaknesses.
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:42 PM   #205
JD5000
Commander
 
JD5000's Avatar
 
Location: Jackson, WY
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

I think it's interesting that we seem to be ignoring the character of the symbiont itself. Seen on screen - once? - could be wrong. I have some thoughts about this, but running out of time to get ready for work, so I'd rather make the post and see if anyone has any comments on it by the time I get back. Pretty good chance I'll follow up either way.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:53 PM   #206
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Disguised as Reb Bad Thoughts
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
^ For me Nicole was what won me over almost immediately, her sweetness and difference from Terry really had me invested that this was going to be a different character with her own strengths and weaknesses.
I agree that Nicole had a better handle on the character (and her craft) than Farrell. It made sense that the newly joined Trill would need time to sort out his or her personality, and would not be fully formed and articulated, as Jadzia was. NdB's sense of comedy was more developed, and she did well delivering those lines in which she said things that seemed incongruous with her personality (unfortunately, she would apologize afterward). Nonetheless, NdB could explore the inner conflicts of her character, and not appear resigned the way Farrell was in "Dax." My issue is that this new Dax need not have been a regular character.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:57 PM   #207
Armored Saint
Captain
 
Armored Saint's Avatar
 
Location: Quebec City
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
Worf's "racism," which rarely sunk lower than being judgmental, isn't really a good measure of how good of a character he was. Dukat's racism far exceeded Worf's, extending into political and economic exploitation and prejudicial justice. However, Dukat is arguably a better character than Worf, and within the context of DS9 alone, probably more memorable. Indeed, the major narratives of DS9 hinge on Dukat. Of course, Dukat is no roll model, but DS9 is also not PBS morning television.
Worf is neither a role model, he hasn't been created to promote a lifestyle based on ""honour"". The Klingons were no more the main ennemy from TOS, but it doesn't mean they became angels. As Spock, Worf was there to provide sometimes a different perspective and this different perspective happens to be sometimes negative.
Armored Saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 02:32 AM   #208
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain
 
Location: Adelaide,australia
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

I don't think she is the worst character in trek,but im glad im not the only one to dislike ezri, I reckon they should left dax alone and maybe promoted one the recurring character like garek to the main cast.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 03:45 AM   #209
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

JD5000 wrote: View Post
I think it's interesting that we seem to be ignoring the character of the symbiont itself. Seen on screen - once? - could be wrong.
At least twice, I think. Emissary and Invasive Procedures.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 09:02 AM   #210
JD5000
Commander
 
JD5000's Avatar
 
Location: Jackson, WY
Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

You're totally right, Tosk. I remembered Invasive Procedures, but seem to have forgotten the slug appearance in Emissary.

OK, Dax. Has NOTHING to do with Jadzia, Ezri, Curzon, Joran, or any of the other hosts. TOTALLY alien to us (as viewers). The closest thing we have to compare to being joined is growing up with our parents and using the experiences we learn from them to try to live our lives in better ways.

What is this weird alien all about? It clearly likes to have a good time, although someone else's body takes the brunt of the damage. I assume Dax thinks 'Frig it, I've had eight lifetimes, I'll have another at someone else's expense"

To me, this is ****ed up. as a human being, I would never ever ever trust someone that I thought had this view of the world and the other biological beings within it. Yet somehow, we all (some of us have to dig a little deeper than others) have good things to say about at least one the host characters.

Why do we sympathize with the characters that host the Dax symbiont, when it clearly wouldn't sympathize with you unless it's own survival were at stake?
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.