Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 19 2014, 03:37 AM   #316
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Renegades

They will be interested the minute they think they can make more money on that than on some other thing they could invest in.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:58 AM   #317
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Barbreader wrote: View Post
They will be interested the minute they think they can make more money on that than on some other thing they could invest in.
This is true, but institutionally there is probably tremendous prejudcie against Sci-Fi on TV (it has always been thus) and everyone "knows" it doesn't work. It's sort of like the advertising "truism" that older people 55+ of age aren't worth advertising to. The original study that came up with that conclusion has since been debunked, but it lives on.

I also think there's an institutional arrogance at work, where the suits are not going to allow the great unwashed to tell them what people want to watch.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:56 AM   #318
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

There WILL be Star Trek on TV again. CBS has said so. They have been taking pitches from every major group in Hollywood.

Orci / Kurtzman, Bryan Singer, Bad Robot, etc.....
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 03:56 PM   #319
Danlav05
Commander

Loken wrote: View Post
There WILL be Star Trek on TV again. CBS has said so. They have been taking pitches from every major group in Hollywood.

I'm hoping they'll work on something for the 50th, that would be nice - maybe a CBS TV Movie they can take to series a few months after. An animated show would suffice.

I wanted a serious Batman show for years and although it's a prequel GOTHAM enters production next month!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:28 PM   #320
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ummm... you do know Gotham is based on the Smallville template, right? Not to knock SV which I loved, but it's firmly in light and fluffy territory.
Old February 19 2014, 04:34 PM   #321
Danlav05
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Ummm... you do know Gotham is based on the Smallville template, right? Not to knock SV which I loved, but it's firmly in light and fluffy territory.
Light and fluffy?! The Batman universe is DARK, Gordon is the main character. I know what the premise is so it's not 'Batman: Year Two'.

Yeah it's practically the same as Smallville (which I love) but it's going to really utilize the many elements of the Batman Universe in aw way that cannot be done in a singular film.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 05:02 PM   #322
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Why do fan film groups need tax free status when there is no income/profit?
So they can get more donations. If you are registered, people can deduct the donation, and they can also choose to donate monthly if they are a "government employee". I think you can also choose to donate money to any 501(c)3 when listing on eBay.

One of the issues is that if an organization doesn't obtain 501(c)3 status within a certain time period, there is a fine for every month after that. (I believe it's either 24 or 27 months).

Barbreader: This particular item would probably hit a bunch of fanfilm groups, including "Phase II", hard...even if they could legally count back to when they changed from an Inc. to an LLC. Another sticky for Phase II is "Cawley Entertainment Company" being attached - which is most decidedly a "for profit" company (being James' Elvis business dating back 27 years)...so instead of "Phase II" the 501(c)3 would have to be obtained by Retro Film Studios LLC. Which, of course, would limit their ability to do anything but fanfilms in the future.

The process isn't as easy as one would hope - it involves a whole lot of legal documents ("articles of association", "narrative of activities" in addition to the "mission statement" and "Vision statement" etc), as well as a chunk of cash. (beginning at $400 & $800) I'm currently trying to get it for a charity I'm involved in and it's not pleasant.

Farragut Films state they are a 501(c)3.
Old February 19 2014, 05:43 PM   #323
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

How do you know this? Is it from your own dealings with Paramount, or do you have actual sources you can cite?

I myself have loved the JJ Abrams' films for what they are, but I also think Star Trek is infinitely more suited toward a television format rather than as individual feature films. It'd be nice to see Trek back on the small screen, but until there's some kind of verifiable source with some kind of notability, it's all just a pipe dream at this point.

andriech wrote: View Post
Barbreader: This particular item would probably hit a bunch of fanfilm groups, including "Phase II", hard...even if they could legally count back to when they changed from an Inc. to an LLC. Another sticky for Phase II is "Cawley Entertainment Company" being attached - which is most decidedly a "for profit" company (being James' Elvis business dating back 27 years)...so instead of "Phase II" the 501(c)3 would have to be obtained by Retro Film Studios LLC. Which, of course, would limit their ability to do anything but fanfilms in the future.

Is Retro Films even planning on making any (for lack of a better term) orginal content? Everything they've done so far, everything discussed or shown has been exclusively tie-in/fan film/property of other people. Star Trek, Buck Rogers, The Wild Wild West...
Old February 19 2014, 07:28 PM   #324
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

They had the rights to Buck Rogers. That was to be for profit.
Old February 19 2014, 07:39 PM   #325
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Ah. That certainly muddies the legal waters then. Regardless, it doesn't negate the fact that Retro Films hasn't created any original content. Having the rights or not, they're still using someone else's intellectual property. That's not me attacking them, by the way -- I'm a fan of their work. It's a definition of fact.

It's interesting to note though that the two big power-houses of the fan film community -- Phase II and Hidden Frontier -- who churn out episode after episode, and then attempt to create something new, only to have it shutter after a short lifespan. I never got to see Frontier Guard, and apart from the oddly edited preview for Buck Rogers, nothing else came of it beyond some promotional images. It makes me sincerely hope that all the work Dennis and his crew have been doing on Polaris will pay off and that we will get to see the film, because everything I've seen, read and heard about leads me to suspect it will be excellent.
Old February 19 2014, 08:01 PM   #326
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Yes, it would be best for any group seeking tax exempt status to obtain a new incorporation so that it would not involve looking back decades. And yes, it would cost a few hundred dollars. With Phase II spending $50,000-$70,000 a year in AFTER TAX dollars, which could represent, if tax deductible, as much as $10,000 to $12,000 in tax reductions per year (I'm only looking at Federal taxes, as NYS taxes would not apply to every donor... for Phase II, in fact, I suspect Federal taxes would not apply to every donor. I'm sure some of the money comes from overseas... or at least just over the border) So, in 5 years we are talking about as much as $50,000 to $60,000 in tax reductions... almost a whole year of donations. ... not doing this is penny wise and pound foolish, (pardon the switch to British currency). I suspect Phase II would find that money could be raised from its higher-income donors just for the rearrangements. And if James then donated the set and other goods controlled by the current Phase II to the NEW entity, the donation would be tax deductible to the donor or donor entities. OR, he could donate the use of the set and charge the entity actual costs of upkeep and rent (or expenses like real estate taxes if he owned the location). The value of the set is not something I could guess, but I'm sure that there are people who can evaluate that. Phase II might even have a high-income lawyer Trek fan who would do the work as a donation. The only way to know is to ask.

In the end, this is not for me to decide, but only for persons currently involved with and working on Phase II.

My sister felt as you do about my father's WWII veterans' pension. I did the paperwork, and in the end about two days work yielded for him on the order of $30,000 in pension payments. (It was our work, not his. He had had dementia for over a decade and had spent down all his savings to the assisted living facility. He was broke and his assisted living facility was going to eject him for inability to pay, as he was in a state where it was legal to collect over a million dollars over a ten year period and then eject a person who had become broke). With the extra pension money, we added money of our own each month and he was able to stay where he was accustomed to living until he died.

Likewise, people may buy opera tickets without a tax deduction, but they are more apt to DONATE to the opera because it's a not-for-profit tax deductible cultural institution.

CBS does not seem to have objected to Farragut's 501(c)(3) status, although I'd be happier of somebody from that group could post here and comment on that matter.

There was a time I did this kind of work but it's been decades and I am no longer familiar with the details involved.
Old February 20 2014, 04:20 AM   #327
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

When I was involved, RFS wasn't pursuing the 501(c)3 because they had plans for original content. (one of the plans depended on a series bible from me which, I admit, I never provided) (and they owned the building, so they did pay taxes to three government bodies, as well as water and all utilities). There was some discussion about re-organizing when they got the second studio, but only James could comment on that at this point.
Old February 21 2014, 04:02 PM   #328
curtiskoeppel
Ensign

how do you know this, the only thing I ever saw about a pitch was from JJ when they were doing the 2nd movie and he said cbs was not interested
curtiskoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 05:19 PM   #329
Tom
Rear Admiral

curtiskoeppel wrote: View Post

how do you know this, the only thing I ever saw about a pitch was from JJ when they were doing the 2nd movie and he said cbs was not interested
Alec is right, there have been various quotes over the past few years from CBS execs saying Star trek will return to TV someday. Also there have been pitches over the years as well. You can just Google those news items.

The question is not IF Star Trek will return to TV, its when, and also, in what form and channel it will be on.
Old February 21 2014, 09:27 PM   #330
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Since Doubleohfive mentioned it: Polaris will get finished. Except for a few little nice-to-have pickups it's in the can and it's just post work ongoing.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote