Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 17 2014, 03:31 PM   #46
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: If you could only have one: Transporter or Holodeck

I would pick the transporter for the same reasons that have been expressed here earlier. The money I could save on transportation costs and hotels would be huge. Climbing Machu Picchu today then deciding to go Paphos in Cyprus to visit the Kato Archaeological park and swim in the Med afterwards - or any other place I'd want to visit on any given day - that would be amazing.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 09:32 PM   #47
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post

The roads are not gone. We saw San Francisco in detail in STID, and it still had roads - with cars, pedestrians, trains, the whole shebang.
I never said they WERE gone.
You said "I love the thought that all the roads are gone". In what other way could this possibly be interpreted?

Though I really dont count JJ Trek as cannon...
Don't take this personally, but you have no choice. You MUST take it as canon, simply because it is. It's onscreen, therefore it is. It's not up to you (or me) to decide any differently.

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
even the impression I got of Riverside, IA, in Star Trek 2009 was of a place that, aside from the shipyard facilities, was actually SMALLER than Riverside, IA, in our 2014.
Well, to be fair, we never actually saw Riverside in the film. All we saw was the bar and the Starfleet shipyards. We never had any glimpse of the city itself. There were those huge structures off in the distance, but those could be anything.
A thought, a notion. We see a distinct lack of cars and I dont think it is a leap to say the technology is now quite outdated and other methods of transport [transporters, shuttles] are being used. Hence, I like the thought that some roads may have been destroyed.

Eh, plenty of people have their own personal cannons. JJ stuff is supposed to be a reboot, in an alternate timeline. I think im within my rights to discount it with or without your blessing.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 10:02 PM   #48
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

A thought, a notion. We see a distinct lack of cars
Did you see the same film as I did? We saw absolutely NOTHING of Riverside itself. Just the bar, the Starfleet shipyard, and a couple of really huge buildings off in the distance. Nothing of the city itself. So we have no idea what it's like. We did, however, see San Francisco, which had all of its roads and associated vehicles on them.

Eh, plenty of people have their own personal cannons. JJ stuff is supposed to be a reboot, in an alternate timeline. I think im within my rights to discount it with or without your blessing.
You don't have a personal CANON. You may have a personal CONTINUITY. These are different words. Look them up.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 10:19 PM   #49
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Everything on screen is canon, NuTrek and Prime Trek.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 04:50 AM   #50
killerbee256
Ensign

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Maybe it was just me, but even the impression I got of Riverside, IA, in Star Trek 2009 was of a place that, aside from the shipyard facilities, was actually SMALLER than Riverside, IA, in our 2014.
Being from near the real riverside, that movie looked nothing like the real Iowa, to flat for Johnson/Washington county, no trees, to arid and there are no quarries like that anywhere near here! Those scenes were obviously filmed in California. Heck why is kirk and the star fleet personal getting drunk in riverside when Iowa City (if it's still there) is near by?
For the record I would rather have a holodeck, considering it has a built in replicator meaning you never have to buy food or clothes again. Oh and then there is the fact you make any scenario you want, exotic locations, women, recreate moves, books or video games.

Last edited by killerbee256; February 18 2014 at 05:05 AM.
killerbee256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 05:19 AM   #51
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

killerbee256 wrote: View Post
Being from near the real riverside, that movie looked nothing like the real Iowa, to flat for Johnson/Washington county, no trees, to arid and there are no quarries like that anywhere near here!
You mean the quarry that the car flies into? Look at the sides - they're obviously artificial. I always thought that was the beginnings of the shipyard that would one day be built on that site. The same shipyard where the Enterprise was built.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 18 2014, 05:32 AM   #52
killerbee256
Ensign

I acknowledge I'm nit picking, because I know it was filmed in Cali. But... the geology here wouldn't allow for that. Then again I know issues like this come up in TOS, TNG, Enterprise etc (carpenter street, mountains in Detroit?!)
killerbee256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 01:10 PM   #53
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

A thought, a notion. We see a distinct lack of cars
Did you see the same film as I did? We saw absolutely NOTHING of Riverside itself. Just the bar, the Starfleet shipyard, and a couple of really huge buildings off in the distance. Nothing of the city itself. So we have no idea what it's like. We did, however, see San Francisco, which had all of its roads and associated vehicles on them.

You don't have a personal CANON. You may have a personal CONTINUITY. These are different words. Look them up.

You know you don't have to get angsty to get your point across. Plenty of fans include and exclude different parts of the franchise. Of course what is on screen is considered cannon but I chose to discount it from my own personal cannon for various reason.

Again, in the prime timeline we are shown very little of transport on Earth. In the prime timeline, it is fun to speculate as to what Earth is actually like.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 03:24 PM   #54
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

You know you don't have to get angsty to get your point across. Plenty of fans include and exclude different parts of the franchise. Of course what is on screen is considered cannon but I chose to discount it from my own personal cannon for various reason.
As I just said: Canon and continuity are not the same thing. Continuity is what you're talking about. Canon is simply what is considered official, i.e. any episode or movie.
Old February 19 2014, 02:11 AM   #55
Vandervecken
Commander

Bah! Holodeck wins easy. Why? Because I'd never use the frickin' transporter. Fatal accidents? The thing is fatal when used as directed. Every time that thing disintegrates someone, it's killing that person. The person who materializes at point B is not the person who got on the pad at point A. Similar to the nth degree, but not the person who got on at point A. That person is dead.

I would use the transporter to move goods (and even then not goods that are nonsuches, like the Mona Lisa) or as a flat-out disintegration weapon if possible. But those two uses aren't good enough to beat the holodeck.

But, errrr, could I have one of Quark's holosuites instead? I think my tastes might be a tad, um, particular for the Enterprise computer.

Speaking of which, I assume the whole Enterprise computer wouldn't be needed to run the holodeck. It'd have to be so; Quark was capable of running some pretty sophisticated programs.
Old February 19 2014, 02:37 AM   #56
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Holosuite it is!...and as much computing power and processing as you need...sophisticated programs, indeed...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 02:42 AM   #57
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Speaking of which, I assume the whole Enterprise computer wouldn't be needed to run the holodeck. It'd have to be so; Quark was capable of running some pretty sophisticated programs.
Actually, per Moore's Law (in this case, Ron Moore ), in the six years between the launch of the -D and the beginning of DS9, the computers in Quark's might have been 3 times as powerful (or more) as the core on the Enterprise-D, - assuming that Quark keeps his equipment current to entice customers with the latest and greatest holo-experiences, like a smart businessman would.
Old February 19 2014, 04:44 PM   #58
HIjol
Fleet Captain

...and one would assume that Quark, being the Businessman that he is, would indeed have his computing power at its ultimate maximum...which brings to mind a couple of interesting plot lines for Ferengi attempts at power grabs...with computers that powerful, and a couple of Dabo Girls...well...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote