Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 8 2014, 02:39 AM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: "The Man Trap" if you had seen it's debut in the 60's

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
"The Wrath of Lenore". Come on, it practically writes it's self!
Don't think I haven't thought about it.
Old February 8 2014, 04:32 AM   #32
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

They'll sit her in a chair with spinning, orange lights, she'll be fixed by act two.
Old February 8 2014, 04:33 AM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
They'll sit her in a chair with spinning, orange lights, she'll be fixed by act two.
I'm sure those haven't been approved for human trials yet.

On other hand, there's that revolutionary new drug they used to cure Garth . . . .
Old February 8 2014, 04:42 AM   #34
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Dr. Adams, Garth and Lenore team up to get revenge on Kirk!
Old February 8 2014, 05:38 AM   #35
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Great thread. Did anyone here see Trek in first run? What was it like for you? Did all your friends talk about it at school etc? There's a bit of debate going on about how big a hit Star Trek was..very keen to hear from people.
While I was around for Trek on the original run, I'm pretty sure that the first episode I caught on its initial airing was "The Naked Time". The salt vampire and the frowning long-faced alien always creeped me out as stills behind the closing credits but I wouldn't know the stories which went with the pictures until quite a bit later, when "Man Trap" and "The Corbomite Maneuver" were shown as between-season reruns.

I can't recall whether there was much talking in school, but I remember for sure that I had a couple of friends who were into Trek. One lived in the house next door to ours, and it was from hearing him describe the plot of WNMHGB (the day after it first aired) that I learned about Star Trek in the first place.
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 06:31 AM   #36
Harvey
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
The salt vampire and the frowning long-faced alien always creeped me out as stills behind the closing credits but I wouldn't know the stories which went with the pictures until quite a bit later, when "Man Trap" and "The Corbomite Maneuver" were shown as between-season reruns.
I'm sure you saw "The Man Trap" as a re-run, but it wasn't shown "between-seasons," as you remember it. Indeed, "The Man Trap" was never re-run on NBC during the show's first run. You must have seen it later, in syndication.

"The Corbomite Maneuver" did get an NBC re-run, though, on May 11, 1967.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 01:50 AM   #37
MGagen
Captain

I saw The Man Trap on the night it premiered back in '66. I was five.

I recall my dad telling me about a science fiction show that was coming on that night. We were relegated to the TV in mom & dad's bedroom because my mom wasn't much interested in watching a "space show."

I saw the opener and the first few minutes of the show, but got bored (remember I was 5). I recall telling my dad "That's great. I'm going to go play in my room. Call me if there are any monsters, or if they shoot their laser guns." (Of course, all space men must have laser guns.)

About 40 minutes later, my dad calls out to me from his room: "Mark! You'd better get in here. There's a monster, and I think they're going to shoot it with their laser guns..."

I ran in just in time to see the salt vampire, Kirk screaming, and McCoy firing his phaser. I was hooked.

Oddly, it wasn't until many years later that I put two and two together and realized that I had seen the first episode broadcast.

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 01:55 AM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

MGagen wrote: View Post

Oddly, it wasn't until many years later that I put two and two together and realized that I had seen the first episode broadcast.

M.
Yeah, growing up and watching the reruns on a constant loop in syndication, I doubt that most of knew (or cared) what order they were supposed to be in. I remember being scared by the Salt Vampire when the show ran one evening on NBC so I guess I must have that first airing, but it blurs in my memory with other nights watching Star Trek with my dad, along with The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and Batman.

I don't think that I knew that "Mantrap" was the "first" episode or that "Turnabout Intruder" was the last until I started reading books and articles on Trek in my teens.

(Remember, there was no wikipedia or internet back then.)
Old February 9 2014, 04:45 AM   #39
MGagen
Captain

I recall our family taking a walk around the block after dinner one summer evening with me complaining that we wouldn't be back in time to watch Lost in Space.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:15 AM   #40
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
"The Wrath of Lenore". Come on, it practically writes it's self!
You'll need to change your sig.

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan, the one with the psycho Shakespeare chick.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 08:14 PM   #41
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Harvey wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
The salt vampire and the frowning long-faced alien always creeped me out as stills behind the closing credits but I wouldn't know the stories which went with the pictures until quite a bit later, when "Man Trap" and "The Corbomite Maneuver" were shown as between-season reruns.
I'm sure you saw "The Man Trap" as a re-run, but it wasn't shown "between-seasons," as you remember it. Indeed, "The Man Trap" was never re-run on NBC during the show's first run.
Huh. I knew that it wasn't until much later that I finally saw the episode, but I don't think I'd realized that it never had a repeat until after the series finished.

Harvey wrote: View Post
You must have seen it later, in syndication.
I must have, and I have learned a thing I didn't know before.
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 09:47 PM   #42
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
...The whole reason NBC scheduled "The Man Trap" as the series premiere is because it fit the monster-story template that so much SFTV had at the time..
Source for that assertion, please.

This has been discussed elsewhere, and it's covered in Inside Star Trek but, as I recall, of the episodes which were ready to air for the premier "The Man Trap" was the one NBC deemed most illustrative of the "strange new worlds" concept. "Where No Man" was considered "too expository, for instance. I'm not at home this week so I can't pull the book out to cite it.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 19 2014 at 07:39 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:30 PM   #43
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

To add a bit of historical context, however, nobody back in 1966 worried about shows being too "Monster of the Week." That wasn't even a term back them. Nobody expected ongoing story arcs or character development on network shows, let alone sci-fi adventure shows. Heck, "The Outer Limits" was literally a Monster-of-the-Week show and "The Twilight Zone" was an anthology series.
Well Greg, the term was not there when TOS was first run (it popped up in the 1970s), but from friends who watched Lost in Space on CBS ('65-'68), they said the series made them expect a monster every week. Same with most seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Old February 19 2014, 12:22 AM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

To add a bit of historical context, however, nobody back in 1966 worried about shows being too "Monster of the Week." That wasn't even a term back them. Nobody expected ongoing story arcs or character development on network shows, let alone sci-fi adventure shows. Heck, "The Outer Limits" was literally a Monster-of-the-Week show and "The Twilight Zone" was an anthology series.
Well Greg, the term was not there when TOS was first run (it popped up in the 1970s), but from friends who watched Lost in Space on CBS ('65-'68), they said the series made them expect a monster every week. Same with most seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Perhaps, but I think "Monster of the Week" being a term of derision, as in "I prefer ongoing arc plots to mere 'Monster of the Week' episodes," is of far more recent vintage, dating back, probably, to Buffy or The X-Files.

Nobody in 1966 would watch "Mantrap" and fret that Trek was going to be too "Monster of the Week" because that wasn't something anybody worried about back then. Indeed, as you said, people rather expected sci-fi shows to feature a different monster every week. That was just par for the course. The Salt Vampire would not have been cause for concern.
Old February 19 2014, 04:30 AM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Perhaps, but I think "Monster of the Week" being a term of derision, as in "I prefer ongoing arc plots to mere 'Monster of the Week' episodes," is of far more recent vintage, dating back, probably, to Buffy or The X-Files.
I can't resist the opportunity to mention Shaenon K. Garrity's webcomic Monster of the Week, which is a series of very funny recaps of every X-Files episode. It'd probably be even funnier if I remembered more of the episodes it's lampooning. But I think it does demonstrate the association of that phrase with that show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote