TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 16 2014, 01:17 PM   #46
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

For clarification, there should be snippets of the Ronny Cox interview included in the main S6 doc, but obviously not as much or as specific as you will find in the CoC doc
Old February 16 2014, 08:53 PM   #47
StalwartUK
Commander

Amazon.co.uk now has a listing for it, with a release date of June 16th.
Old February 16 2014, 10:38 PM   #48
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Trekfan21 wrote: View Post
Any word if the incorrect shuttle exteriors are being corrected?
What was wrong with the shuttle exteriors?
Old February 16 2014, 10:49 PM   #49
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Scroll down to "Type-6 cockpits in Type-7 shuttles"

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...e7-shuttle.htm
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 10:50 PM   #50
Trekfan21
Commander

They used stock footage of the shuttle model created for the first couple seasons of TNG, but shot on the sets created from the recycled shuttle from STV:TFF that was introduced in "Darmok" in season 5. This happens again at the end of "Ship in a Bottle." It may be worse in the latter instance since they show the exteriors of two different shuttles in the shuttle bay that are intended to be the same one.
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 10:59 PM   #51
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Thanks, guys. This is something I'm sure I noticed as a kid, but now all these years later I can't keep track of these details.
Old February 17 2014, 04:22 AM   #52
MakeshiftPython
Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I get the reasoning, I just don't care for that excuse. I would have preferred to have it all in my season set, I shouldn't have to buy the same episodes just for the extras.
It's not really an "excuse," it's a fact of economics. The extras wouldn't be produced if it weren't for the separate release. They have neither the funds to produce the extra material nor the space in the set for another 30 minute feature.

So you wouldn't have the option of having both the complete season and the episode-specific features. If you'd rather them just cut out the separate release all together then you simply wouldn't have the extras that would come with it either.

You don't "have to buy the same episodes just for the extras." You're the consumer. You make the choice of what you buy or not. If you don't want to buy both, then don't buy both. It's as simple as that.
You're right, to rephrase it, I think it's unfortunate that one's only option to have both the features is to purchase the two sets. Whatever the reasoning behind it, I still think it's rather crummy that you can't get them in just one set. That's all I've been expressing.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 04:50 AM   #53
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

The extra features either exist on a separate release, or they don't exist at all. There is no third option like you want.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 07:05 AM   #54
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
The extra features either exist on a separate release, or they don't exist at all. There is no third option like you want.
That didn't seem to be the case with Season 1 or Season 2. It's not a special feature issue. It's a how much can CBS suck the money out of the consumer because this is an expensive project issue. Special features are just the carrot dangling in front of said consumer hoping he/she will bite.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 07:58 PM   #55
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
That didn't seem to be the case with Season 1 or Season 2.
Yes, it was the case, it fell into the "or they don't exist at all" category.

It's not a special feature issue. It's a how much can CBS suck the money out of the consumer because this is an expensive project issue.
It's an issue of budget. CBS is not going to greenlight additional spend on interviews/documentaries above and beyond the norm if it's just going to be part of the season set. It raises the cost for them while resulting in no additional sales. That would be a dumb business decision.

This is the same reason certain episodes were split into two - for budgetary reasons. They get more money for a two-parter than a solo episode, and have the ability to put out a bigger and better product.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 07:58 PM   #56
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Trekfan21 wrote: View Post
They used stock footage of the shuttle model created for the first couple seasons of TNG, but shot on the sets created from the recycled shuttle from STV:TFF that was introduced in "Darmok" in season 5. This happens again at the end of "Ship in a Bottle." It may be worse in the latter instance since they show the exteriors of two different shuttles in the shuttle bay that are intended to be the same one.
At least "Ship in a Bottle" could be explained by a holodeck malfunction.
Old February 18 2014, 08:24 AM   #57
CrazyMatt
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
^ Indeed, we'll have the final season before the end of the year !

And folks, the CoC disc is WELL worth picking up... Ronny Cox has some great tales about playing Jellico. Plus, if all works out, there's a bucket of deleted scenes from the two-parter.
Can't wait!
Old February 18 2014, 08:28 AM   #58
CrazyMatt
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
For clarification, there should be snippets of the Ronny Cox interview included in the main S6 doc, but obviously not as much or as specific as you will find in the CoC doc
Just like there was with Elizabeth Dennehy for BOBW... her commentary on the stand-alone disc was worth the price of purchase on its own.
Old February 18 2014, 01:49 PM   #59
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post

It's an issue of budget. CBS is not going to greenlight additional spend on interviews/documentaries above and beyond the norm if it's just going to be part of the season set. It raises the cost for them while resulting in no additional sales. That would be a dumb business decision.

This is the same reason certain episodes were split into two - for budgetary reasons. They get more money for a two-parter than a solo episode, and have the ability to put out a bigger and better product.
Of course by that logic had he been in a single part story they wouldn't have had the excuse for a bonus interview with him.

When you consider the cost spent on interviews, we rarely see a fraction of what is recorded, rather than edit it would be cheaper to just include uncut interviews, but they lack the professional result.

Was David Warner interviewed too?
Old February 18 2014, 02:11 PM   #60
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
When you consider the cost spent on interviews, we rarely see a fraction of what is recorded, rather than edit it would be cheaper to just include uncut interviews, but they lack the professional result.
It's more than that. The uncut interviews would be much longer so they would require more disc space, which wouldn't be economical either.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote