Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Revelation and Dust.
Outstanding 29 25.00%
Above Average 46 39.66%
Average 27 23.28%
Below Average 8 6.90%
Poor 6 5.17%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11 2014, 11:16 PM   #391
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I just finished this book. It took me forever to read it. I think it was well-written but very ponderous. At first I cringed at the Kira/Keev storyline. Once again, well-written, but I think it went on too long and I didn't get a lot of it, or always understand the symbolism. The most important event in the book, pertaining to Bacco, didn't get the attention it deserved.

I also thought the book had too many characters and spent too much time focusing on them instead of focusing on the main story, which should've been Bacco. Though I guess the main story was Kira/Keev. Perhaps this wouldn't have bothered me as much but I find many of the new DS9 characters bland and there wasn't much new written about the old/returning characters that made me tear through their scenes. I was mostly pleased with DRG III's treatment of Sisko this time around though, even though I wouldn't have minded having him more in the book.

I'm not too upset to see what happened to Bacco. I'm not a big fan of that character. She's too goody goody for my taste.

The book ends with three big cliffhangers. One hopefully will be resolved in the future books, but I can see two of them getting follow-ups in future DRG III novels. I was most intrigued by the one involving the Typhon Pact. The other two, while intriguing, didn't light a fire under me.

I've been on the fence about DRG III for a while now. If he wasn't returning to Harriman and doing a sequel to my favorite novel of his, Revelation and Dust might have been my final DRG III novel.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 09:08 PM   #392
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

Read this a couple of weeks back.

I really enjoyed the main plot, DRGIII really conveyed the shock of the assassination very well. The links to the previous books were done well too.

The flaw was in the Kira plotline, I can't really see any reason for it so the only conclusion I can draw is that it's going somewhere, which means future books. I'm also suspecting we may get the Ascendants story told by stealth, which I'd also be happy with.

Still, it was a good opener, though I'm uneasy over Sisko's daughter's likely fate from what was suggested here.
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 07:54 PM   #393
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

I've been away from Treklit and indeed any Star Trek for a very long time, mainly due to fatigue and having issues with some of decisions that were taken with the direction of the novels. I'm ashamed to say that Rough Beasts of Empire was one of those that drove me away. Upon reading the section where Sisko walked out on Kassidy Yates and his entire family, I literally threw the book across the room!

I've read the occasional Original Series releases here and there as well as keeping up with Kirsten Beyer's absolutely fantastic Voyager series, but beyond that nothing. Until the urge took me to download this novel the other day. It certainly was a brave decision given that it was David R. George III and his take on DS9 that partially drove me away in the first place.

I'm so glad I did and I absolutely feel ridiculous for being driven away in the first place. Others in this thread have pointed out that the novel felt like a pilot and, indeed, it proved so for me. Obviously you couldn't not be aware of the destruction of the original Deep Space 9 and Kira's disappearance, but the rest was completely unknown. David manage to explain everything that I needed to know so that I was able to enjoy the novel.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't faultless: it did feel as if the Keev stuff was getting in the way of the main story. You'd get to the end of a gripping chapter on DS9, turn the page and then groan when the first word was Keev. However, I soon got over that and was just as interested in it as I was by the main story. Quite a few shockers in this one!!!

In short then, it was a perfect novel to restart on for me as the whole set up of who's who and what's what was done, and frankly it was great to see (nearly) ever character that I loved from Deep Space Nine TV series and novels get a look in. Top stuff.
Old February 15 2014, 08:02 PM   #394
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

bok2384 wrote: View Post
I've been away from Treklit and indeed any Star Trek for a very long time, mainly due to fatigue and having issues with some of decisions that were taken with the direction of the novels. I'm ashamed to say that Rough Beasts of Empire was one of those that drove me away. Upon reading the section where Sisko walked out on Kassidy Yates and his entire family, I literally threw the book across the room!
Seriously, I get that reaction and had I read it when Plagues of Night / Raise The Dawn did not exist, I would have likely done similar which is why I avoided. Then I heard a ton of stunningly positive comments about that pair in relation to RBoE.

So, go buy those 2 books, then return to RBoE, but treat it as Act 1 of a trilogy - and the darkest act at that - and I think you'll find it to be one hell of a good story!
Old February 15 2014, 08:53 PM   #395
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Jedi Ben wrote: View Post
bok2384 wrote: View Post
Seriously, I get that reaction and had I read it when Plagues of Night / Raise The Dawn did not exist, I would have likely done similar which is why I avoided. Then I heard a ton of stunningly positive comments about that pair in relation to RBoE.

So, go buy those 2 books, then return to RBoE, but treat it as Act 1 of a trilogy - and the darkest act at that - and I think you'll find it to be one hell of a good story!
Thanks for the heads up, Jedi Ben. I certainly plan to go back and read them based on the information that was relayed in Revelation and Dust about the destruction of Deep Space 9, it certainly sounds quite harrowing.
Old February 15 2014, 09:00 PM   #396
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

Without engaging in spoilers - it's actually not!

It's hard to really do this without giving the game away but that 2-parter was, even with the destruction of the station, still one of the most optimistic epics I've seen. RBoE is not representative of what you'll find in these books despite it continuing the plotlines RBoE started.

Put it this way, a lesser story would have gone the opposite direction this duo go in and likely have gotten a 10-book series out of it. That doesn't happen.

The best non-spoiler way I can put it is that Plagues of Night / Raise the Dawn show the Federation finally recovering from the events of Destiny in decisive and positive fashion.
Old February 18 2014, 10:00 AM   #397
Tirius
Captain

Just finished Revelations and Dust two days ago - I'd been spoiled about a few things beforehand in this thread (I just couldn´t find the time to read and was too curious), so that might have influenced my opinion.

All in all, I quite liked it. It reads very much like a "part 1 of X", and I'm not just refering to the DS9 side of the plot. I very much liked Bacco and am sorry to see her go, but I think the fallout of the event was handled as well as it could be. I really felt for Ro, having first lost the old DS9 and now having to face the death of a president on her watch, on what should have been a happy occasion. R&D is also the first time that I really begin to see what kind of captain Ro is, possessing neither the stability that Sisko gained nor Kira's passion, but with a drive to prove herself that's all her own. It's also good to see she still has Quark for support. The scene where he comes to comfort her after disaster has stuck was very well done. His ringing her doorbell throughout the night to find out when she came home was a very sweet touch and I like that this odd relationship is still going strong.

As for the Kira/Keev plot, I´m not as against it as some previous posters seem to be. These Prophet visions are part and parcel of what DS9 is, always salted with a bit of uncertainty of whether or not we're being shown real events or if it's just in someone's head ("My dear Harry... Of course it's all in your head - but whatever makes you think it's not real?"). Altek's final appearance underscores that, as I'd previously envisioned Keev's work at rebuilding the cave passage as an analogy for "internal repairs" to the wormhole. The highlight of this storyline for me though, is in the very beginning. Kira's evolving relationship with Sisko is one of the great strengths of DS9 for me, and her being shown his inital meeting with the Prophets in all its raw emotion was heartbreaking. It underlined for me that she no longer considers him her Emissary first, but rather her friend. As for the end of the story, it really left me wanting more. There is a certain dangling Jem'Hadar plot thread that has always been top of my "what happened during the time we missed" list, and I've always enjoyed Taran'atar as a character.

Over all, Above Average from me. Now continuing with The Crimson Shadow, as my having fallen behind on my reading at least allows me to read the entire Fall series back-to-back now...
Tirius is offline   Reply With Quote