RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 550
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 16 2014, 01:14 AM   #3466
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Yeah, the Gruenwald Doctrine has long since been abandoned.

ETA: And not by Bendis. I remember it actually being a plot point in a Fantastic Four story (by McDuffie?)
Old February 16 2014, 02:02 AM   #3467
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the Trial of Jean just seems oddly timed. the alliance of worlds just saved the universe during Infinity. so i guess after the dust settled Gladiator thought, ok...time to kill Jean Grey.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 02:19 AM   #3468
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

When you really think about it, when isn't it time to kill Jean Grey?
Old February 16 2014, 02:51 AM   #3469
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yes, yes it is.

At the end of that big invasion cross over, the Avengers flag was flying proud and true across the galaxy on hundreds of "Avengers Worlds" which if I was a sceptical and pessimistic man, I would think was the beginning of an "Avengers Empire" which the older powers would feel compelled to put down quickly rather than admit to shrinkage of their own space.

But Captain America has returned to Earth and forgotten about the Galactic Stage.

Politically Jean's trial might be needed to remind the universe that Humans are crazy and dangerous.

Hmmm?

They could just kill her and send back a brainwashed super skull.

Although I'm thinking what might happen is what happened to O'Brien in DS9 Hard Times. Send her to jail for a thousand virtual years, which only takes a few moments in real time to play out.

They can't do anything to the original Marvel Girl, not even to her personality that any infringements or punishment would have to be erased before she is finally sent back to the past, but what if they clone the girl and kill the clone. Keep killing clones, keep punishing clones. Execute a new clone every day for the next 10 thousand years to prove that not even the dead can hide from justice.

Besides, if you think about this, everyone capable of time travel is responsible for Jean's genocide because they did not going back in time and stop her, if the resolution of this trial in any way during the next couple comics is to stop her going back, or sending her back different, it's an assault on the timeline that could have dangerous repercussions on the present.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:12 AM   #3470
JD
Admiral

Is Learning to Crawl going to be set in the present day (as in 21st Century, not during the current comics) or is it going to set in the '60s? I'm assuming since they have tohe whole sliding time scale, or whatever they call it, it'll be present day.
Old February 16 2014, 04:27 AM   #3471
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That's why I thought that Byrne's Chapter One was such an epic fail, they retold the same old stories in a more modern but not completely modern setting, because in 1998 when it was published, the modern setting they chose to set Peter's formative years were the mid 1980s.

Minus 15 years puts us back into 1999.

Turn of the century fun with the Y2k Bug threatening everyone's piece of mind.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 05:06 AM   #3472
Mr Light
Admiral

I always find it so hard to re-imagine those old issues on the sliding timescale. I think of Peter Parker as having started in the 1960s, not in the 2000s...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 05:13 AM   #3473
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, it's really hard to make it make sense. In an early All-New X-Men, Scott was baffled by the idea of bottled water even though he came from 2001ish.
Old February 16 2014, 05:18 AM   #3474
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Is Learning to Crawl going to be set in the present day (as in 21st Century, not during the current comics) or is it going to set in the '60s? I'm assuming since they have tohe whole sliding time scale, or whatever they call it, it'll be present day.
You assume right. Peter isn't a guy pushing 70 in current comics.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
That's why I thought that Byrne's Chapter One was such an epic fail, they retold the same old stories in a more modern but not completely modern setting, because in 1998 when it was published, the modern setting they chose to set Peter's formative years were the mid 1980s.
Not seeing the problem. If you tell a story set in Peter's past that past will always be X number of years from the date the story is published in. The fashions, music and events mentioned are just "window dressing" and not meant to lock the story to a particular year or era.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 05:29 AM   #3475
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Slott addressed the sliding timescale in the interview...
And thanks to Marvel's sliding time scale, Spider-Man's early days are only a few years ago for the character as opposed to decades for the reader --

It's about 12-13 years ago. That's the current measure of Marvel sliding time; everything happened 12-13 years ago. As the Marvel Universe has grown older, there have been many years where that scale was five years, or seven years, or nine years. Now we're up to 12-13. Or else, how do you explain Julie Power growing up? Or Franklin Richards getting a little older, and Valeria Richards being born? There are markers in the Marvel Universe, and we're up to 12-13 years ago.

So Peter will have access to things like cell phones and the Internet.
Artist Ramón Pérez and I have had long emails about this. [Laughs] There are certain things you have to turn a blind eye to, like the Fantastic Four's flight going up at the end of the George W. Bush era, or that Obama has been the president for half of the Marvel Universe's present day time. There's stuff like that which you don't really look at, but when you get to stuff like cell phones and Google, the answer is, "Yes."

The way you have to look at it, though, is you can have movies like "Pulp Fiction," which is clearly set in the mid '90s, but has a '70s vibe. You can have animated shows like the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini "Batman" show, where the style, aesthetic and the vibe are clearly late '30s/early '40s, but you'll have important plot points based around VHS video tapes. There's a mix.

In "Learning to Crawl," you're very much going to see a Peter Parker and Spider-Man who are drawn the way they appeared in "Amazing Fantasy" #15 through "Amazing" #1-3. Peter will have the big glasses, the red tie and the sweater vest.
Old February 16 2014, 10:34 AM   #3476
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Saga wrote: View Post
thats why i love Avengers Forever so much.
Ditto. I love writers like Busiek, Thomas, Englehart, et al, who actually use continuity to generate ideas and stories organically, rather than just abandon and ignore the past. Reboots are just lazy.
Old February 16 2014, 10:53 AM   #3477
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Saga wrote: View Post
thats why i love Avengers Forever so much.
Ditto. I love writers like Busiek, Thomas, Englehart, et al, who actually use continuity to generate ideas and stories organically, rather than just abandon and ignore the past. Reboots are just lazy.
agreed. i especially love everything Thomas did with The All Star Squadron. one of my favorite comics ever.
Old February 16 2014, 04:25 PM   #3478
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I'm not fussed myself - if the story I'm read makes sense on its own terms, I'm not particularly bothered if it ties together with issue 74 from 1981...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 10:28 AM   #3479
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Certainly, but it adds layers of richness when a writer builds on the past and grows the larger story.
Old February 18 2014, 09:57 AM   #3480
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

You see richness, I see clutter - especially since there isn't really a larger story because there can't be - you'd need an end for that.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote