Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 15 2014, 05:32 AM   #16
PCz911
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Going to Eden ... Yea brother

How fun... This guy did a dub version

https://soundcloud.com/scengine/the-...en-spontaneous
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 05:49 AM   #17
CrazyMatt
Commander

Well, I sing this back at them!

Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
No more goofy hippies gonna hurt my mind
Gonna turn them all off show 'em my behind
If I have to watch again I'm gonna hope I go blind
No, Brother, no!
Old February 15 2014, 07:07 AM   #18
Green Shirt
Commodore

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
"Girl #2" was played by Phyllis Douglas, a favorite ST hottie of mine. She was on the show twice and got to ride the shuttlecraft both times. She probably thought they used it in every episode.
Yeah, even on The Enemy Within.
Old February 15 2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Botany Bay
Commodore

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post

The girl playing the wheel is Deborah Downey. Along with Charles Napier, she sang her own part. The performance scenes were lip-sync'd to a playback tape, but that's really her singing on it. She went on to become a painter, and one of her commissions was a portrait of Gene Roddenberry.

"Girl #2" was played by Phyllis Douglas, a favorite ST hottie of mine. She was on the show twice and got to ride the shuttlecraft both times. She probably thought they used it in every episode.
Nice trivia, and I agree with you about the lovely Ms. Douglas. Sadly not much of a part, and not much of an episode.

I once met Mary Linda Rapelye (Irina), who would have to be one of the friendliest, warmest people you could imagine. Still looked absolutely gorgeous decades later. If I were Chekov, I would have mutinied
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 02:11 PM   #20
M
Vice Admiral

PCz911 wrote: View Post
Thanks for that! I really dig it. Yea, brother!

As for the episode: I've always been a big fan of "The Way to Eden". I know, it's kind of a tradition to hate the episode, but I love it. Especially the songs. I was so glad to finally see them released properly when the complete soundtrack edition came out.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 09:28 PM   #21
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post

Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
No, Brother, no!
Wooooh, yes, this is the bomb, and I'm in complete agreement with you!
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 07:00 AM   #22
CrazyMatt
Commander

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
No, Brother, no!
To borrow a phrase from Spock, "Most kind."
Old February 17 2014, 07:44 AM   #23
HIjol
Fleet Captain

PCz911 wrote: View Post
Ok, not one of the better episodes....or songs. But kind of fun in a strange sort of way. I don't suppose anyone has the words and guitar chords for this little ditty?

Heading out to Eden
Yea brother
Heading out to Eden
No more trouble in my body or my mind
Gonna live like a
king on whatever I find
Eat all the
fruit and throw away the rind
Yea brother, yea.

Deborah Downey was an actress who played Mavig in the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "The Way to Eden". Along with episode writer Arthur Heinemann, who contributed the lyrics, and co-star Charles Napier, she wrote the music featured in the episode. She provided her own vocals as well.

Hope this helps...

Far Out!!!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 08:22 AM   #24
Push The Button
Captain

"Spock's practically One now!"

It is hilarious to see Charles Napier in this episode now, considering all the tough guys and badasses he would play later in his career.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 04:22 PM   #25
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

The ONLY two good things about "The Way To Eden" are two carryovers from "The Doomsday Machine": The (fully functional) Auxiliary Control Room, and Elizabeth Rogers as Lt. Palmer. Otherwise, bllleeeccccchhhhhhhhhhh!
THIS.

And these hippies, as I've said before, aren't the real deal, and would have been scorned by an actual hippy from the 1960's if they ever traveled forward in time to the 23rd-24th centuries and saw how good it was to live on Earth then.
Remember Spock's explanation:

"There are many who are...uncomfortable with what we have created. It is almost a biological rebellion. A profound revulsion against the planned communities, the programming, the sterilized, artfully balanced atmospheres. They hunger for an Eden, where spring comes."
So "how good" life is in the 23rd century is not necessarily good for the soul. Spock's statement predicted the reality we live in now, where cloned, perfectly manicured housing developments (using materials that are by no means "green") surrounded by the shallow glitz of Apple stores (eyeroll x 10,000), Starbucks, trendy clothing stores and of course, the usual Super Target or Pavilions.

As much of a phony "perfection" as that is today, it is easy to imagine it being worse in the 23rd century---and that's not the natural, green life sought by TWTE castaways. On that note, they are very much like the hippies of the episode's production era.
Old February 17 2014, 06:52 PM   #26
Borjis
Commodore

Push The Button wrote: View Post

It is hilarious to see Charles Napier in this episode now, considering all the tough guys and badasses he would play later in his career.
Aye! and those "Leggings" he wears.

HERBERT!
HERBERT!
HERBERT!
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 06:57 PM   #27
Vandervecken
Commander

Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
Not gonna watch 'Eden,'
No Brother
No, Brother, no!
To borrow a phrase from Spock, "Most kind."

Well, as I've gotten older and seen the episodes I love 11'ty billion times, I start to appreciate some single examples of acting in the bad eps. Skip Homeier (now out of his Nazi togs), does a nice job, I think, as the obsessed and maddened Dr. Sevrin. I especially like his conversation with Spock when he's (Sevrin) in the brig:

"Because this is poison to me. This stuff you breathe, this stuff you live in, the shields of artificial atmosphere that we have layered about every planet. The programs in those computers that run your ship and your lives for you, they bred what my body carries. That's what your science have done to me. You've infected me. Only the primitives can cleanse me. I cannot purge myself until I am among them. Only their way of living is right. I must go to them. "

You, with a mentally unbalanced William Windom as your avatar , can surely appreciate a scenery-chewer, even if it's in a bottom-tier ep.
Old February 20 2014, 08:05 PM   #28
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Push The Button wrote: View Post

Captain Wainwright: Let's perform an alien autopsy on these invaders.
Garland: While they're still alive? That's barbaric!
Wainwright: Then leave the job to tough guys like General Denning and me!
Carlson: Tough, eh? Did you know that the general used to be a guitar-playing teenage hippie?
Wainwright: Pfft...that's a likely story.
http://www.fiveminute.net/ds9/fiver....littlegreenmen
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 05:34 AM   #29
AtoZ
Commander

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Yes, my least favoured TOS episode.

78. The Trouble With Tribbles (Sorry!)
79. I, Mudd
80. The Way To Eden.

I could live with this, although I despise "Plato's Stepchildren" as much as "The Way To Eden.'"
Perfect post.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 06:03 AM   #30
Lance
Commodore

And these hippies, as I've said before, aren't the real deal, and would have been scorned by an actual hippy from the 1960's if they ever traveled forward in time to the 23rd-24th centuries and saw how good it was to live on Earth then.
Hm, the sad thing about the script is that it goes for the "all those stinkin' hippies..." viewpoint, with Spock being one of the only regular characters to truly conceed that their lifestyle is a valid one. (Btw, I do love that it's Spock who jams with them, a man truly understanding 'counter culture', or at least appreciating it to some degree). The likes of Captain Kirk and Mister Scott come across very pooly, both being painted as overly authoritarian, and bizarrely lacking in understanding (even if Kirk himself conceeds he "used to get in trouble" when he was the hippies' own age). This is all largely because the script represents them as being "the man". But again, the script goes on to prove "the man" right, because the so-called Hippies are portrayed as just being naive and are ultimately led to their deaths by a mad-man with belief systems that are displayed to be irrational, at least in terms of the script.

To be honest the whole script has got this tonal problem I mention, unable to decide whether it wants to celebrate counter-culture ("infitinite diversity" and all that), or whether it wants to decry it as a threat to rational society. I think the former position is more in keeping with the Star Trek 'message', but the script ultimately ends with a bad taste in the mouth, because it reaffirms the latter position that these "dirty stinkin' hippies" need to "get a haircut and a real job". Which I think is unfortunate.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote