Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 6 2014, 10:46 PM   #16
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Death & the holodeck

Makarov wrote: View Post
If the holodeck can create a representation of anyone, such as the episode where Geordie can create Leah Brahms with I believe only a 13% error, how would this change the way people experience loss?

There was that episode The Bonding where an alien pretends to be the kid's recently dead mom. The crew helps him let go of that alien. But the show doesn't deal with the fact he could have popped into the holodeck the next day and had another fake mom.

Welsey could have spent time with a holodeck version of his dad. Anyone who gets dumped in a relationship could create a virtual version of that other person and continue on in the relationship. You could even pay a doctor to remove the memory of losing them in the first place.

How do you think they stop people from doing that in the trek universe?
Roddenberry had the idea that in 300 years, people in general grieve differently than today because of humanity's different self-conception of their existence. I always liked that idea.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 10:52 PM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Also I imagine people who tried to recreate the woman who dumped them in the holodeck would find it depressing and unfulfilling. You can't have a real human relationship with a person you can control every aspect of.

You wouldn't want the recreation to really be like your ex-girlfriend, you'd want it to be like the idealized perception of her in your memory.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 04:16 PM   #18
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

I guess that would be illegal anyway.

Now, how about, if you were on a posting away from your other half, and you both had access to holodecks, could the holodecks be tied together through the comm systems so you could still 'interact'?
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 05:01 PM   #19
E-DUB
Captain

They did just that in the most recent Voyager novel for a memorial service. Holodecks at both ends, tied together by subspace.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 04:40 AM   #20
Makarov
Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
You wouldn't want the recreation to really be like your ex-girlfriend, you'd want it to be like the idealized perception of her in your memory.
That's the thing though, it doesn't have to be created by you.

The computer can do it based on actual information about her. So you would end up with almost the exact same person, interacting in the same way as if the person was real.

And if we accept data as a person, then this holodeck experience would be no less real than the flesh and blood person.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 07:52 AM   #21
JD5000
Commander

In "The Bonding", Troi and Picard get into a pretty detailed explanation of how human beings (specifically, since Jeremy IS human) experience death as a natural part of life. Nothing they say suggests anything has changed in the grieving process since our time. I'm sure plenty of people in the Trek universe have tried 'bringing back' loved ones, and ultimately found it to be unnatural and unhealthy. I know I would.

Any episode that involves the recreation of a person that has passed is tragic.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 05:04 AM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Makarov wrote: View Post

And if we accept data as a person, then this holodeck experience would be no less real than the flesh and blood person.
Unless we're talking about a hologram with The Doctor or Moriarty level complexity, the hologram would still be just a simulation. No matter how realistic the simulation is it would still be a Realdoll, and wouldn't feel like anything other than masturbation.

You can't really love a woman you have complete control over. At best she'd be a very effective loneliness bandaid. If a woman can't say no to you, you feel nothing when she says yes.
Old February 13 2014, 11:54 AM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

In Generations, there is this thing about Picard's grieve... it's not the usual selfish “I miss them“ grieve, he is instead sad FOR them, because they can't enjoy all the good stuff anymore. I liked that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 01:51 AM   #24
SG-17
Commodore

As we've seen with The Doctor and Moriarty holoprograms can become sentient. If someone were to recreate a deceased person accurately enough that the program becomes sentient, would that program be considered the same person as its model?

Though to be honest the whole holoprogam sentience thing got blurry after TNG. The Doctor was sentient yes, but were Zimmerman's other holograms? Were the other EMHs also sentient? It gets confusing because of the way that holoprograms begin to act. In DS9 the holoprograms seem to be self-aware in the fact that they are holograms. Where is the line drawn?

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 02:09 AM   #25
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

SG-17 wrote: View Post
As we've seen with The Doctor and Moriarty holoprograms can become sentient. If someone were to recreate a deceased person accurately enough that the program becomes sentient, would that program be considered the same person as its model?

Though to be honest the whole holoprogam sentience thing got blurry after TNG. The Doctor was sentient yes, but were Zimmerman's other holograms? Were the other EMHs also sentient? It gets confusing because of the way that holoprograms begin to act. In DS9 the holoprograms seem to be self-aware in the fact that they are holograms. Where is the line drawn?
Nobody on DS9 considered Vic Fontaine as sentient even though he was believable enough that they emotionally connected to him as if he were.

The program would not be the same person as its model. It would be a new individual, who behaves very similarity to the original.
Old February 18 2014, 05:10 PM   #26
Makarov
Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
You can't really love a woman you have complete control over. At best she'd be a very effective loneliness bandaid. If a woman can't say no to you, you feel nothing when she says yes.
True but when you make the computer create the person, this representation will say no to you just like the real one. You can turn control to the computer, make it "read only" so you can't edit whenever you feel like, sprinkle in a dash of sentience and you've essentially cloned the person.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 05:23 PM   #27
HIjol
Captain

Let's face it...presented with the "able to", many of us would "bring our loved one back" in a heartbeat...others of us would consider it profane and disgusting...I think the Holo-Powers-That-Be left it ambiguous on purpose, to show just that...some would, to some degree or other, and some would not...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 06:14 PM   #28
Shat Happens
Commander

That would depend on the computar being able to extrapolate the actions of the person. If I want to see some person and have to describe to the computer exactly what I want to see/hear, it wouldnt be so much fun.

I meand, if I would visit holo-Grandma, I'd ask "how was your day" for example
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 06:34 AM   #29
Tulin
Vice Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I might be wrong, but I just don't think you're allowed to create copies of real people who are alive or who have died recently (say, last 50 years or so) on the holodeck
Where the hell did you get this from?!?

Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote