CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 11 2014, 12:00 AM   #1216
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
No, that's Ian Levene for you and now you can undersatand why RTD told him to "Fuck off." at a press conference.
Would that be when Levine had a secret memorandum to the effect that RTD, Gardner, and Tennant were all quitting at the same time with the intention of forcing the BBC to cancel the program? Which was later followed by Levine gloating that he had singlehandedly saved the program because he had embarrassed the BBC into not cancelling it?
No, it was at a Torchwood press conference in 2006.

There's a thoroughly amusing anecdote about Ian Levine over on the Off The Telly blog. Basically, Russell T Davies told him exactly where to go at Wednesday's Torchwood press conference in Cardiff:
“Ian, no offence, you're not a journalist, so fuck off.”

--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 03:08 PM   #1217
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Yet another reason RTD doesn't get enough credit!
Old February 16 2014, 12:56 PM   #1218
Flibble
Fleet Captain

Back in the good old/bad old days of the 80's, it was often rumoured that Ian levine (and others) had in their collection some of the missing episodes.

Also the BBC are running out of stories to put on DVD to sell. If anything new is to be released would the BBC not want to publicise this fact so we can all save some of our hard earned money to spend on them?
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:14 PM   #1219
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ It would seem that if (big if) there are more recovered episodes, the BBC doesn't have them, but Phil Morris who is the hold up.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 09:04 PM   #1220
Candlefright
Admiral

Flibble wrote: View Post
Back in the good old/bad old days of the 80's, it was often rumoured that Ian levine (and others) had in their collection some of the missing episodes.
Ian came into contact with a collector who had seven episodes, including The Abominable Snowmen 2 (which he returned almost immediately) and Invasion of the Dinosaurs 1 (which he retained for 12 months as bargaining material should anything else turn up). He also had two unedited episodes of The Time Meddler, which he didn't return straight away as they weren't his property. Given Ian's ego play a large part in his motivations it's highly unlikely he would retain anything for his own means; he likes the glory.

Flibble wrote: View Post
Also the BBC are running out of stories to put on DVD to sell. If anything new is to be released would the BBC not want to publicise this fact so we can all save some of our hard earned money to spend on them?
Depends on the reasons; if the "Phil Morris" has them is the reason then it's fairly weak. He has no reason to retain them as he doesn't sound like the kind of person who would retain episodes for money. Asking the BBC to grant him access to other parts of the world might be a better reason.

If the iTunes distribution met with success then that would also be a new factor; retain the announcement until the episodes are ready for immediate release then do it all at once.
Old February 17 2014, 01:07 AM   #1221
Nightowl1701
Commander

Depends on the reasons indeed. Such as:

- Have the film cans all been sorted out? (Remember, there's a LOT more than Doctor Who in there.)
- Are the film prints the right ones, or are they in mislabeled cans?
- Are they in any kind of salvageable/viewable state? (Vinegar rot was mentioned.)
- If salvageable, how long/how much effort will it take to bring them to a DVD-worthy state?

He may be waiting until he's certain he has something to give them - he'd rather turn over full stories instead of piecemeal episodes if at all possible, and in a restored DVD-ready state.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 03:19 AM   #1222
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
<snip>...

He may be waiting until he's certain he has something to give them - he'd rather turn over full stories instead of piecemeal episodes if at all possible, and in a restored DVD-ready state.
Yea, that's the impression I've gotten, if indeed there is anything more waiting to come out of the woodwork

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 05:48 AM   #1223
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

At this point, I'm growing less inclined to think there's more. Perhaps, maybe Marco Polo. But doubtful about even that. We'll have to wait and see of course.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 04:37 PM   #1224
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Phil Morris?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 04:47 PM   #1225
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Phil Morris's Television International Enterprise Archive is who found the missing episodes. There was a nice writeup on him in issue #466 of Doctor Who Magazine.
Old February 19 2014, 02:33 AM   #1226
Wyse
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a well done video by SFDebris on the most recent lost episodes discoveries (Oct '13), rumors and gossip about what might have been found, and who Phil Morris is and his recovery effort for those who haven't seen it and are curious.

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated...-found-6691933

He also did a two part video on Wiped Episodes of Doctor Who from 2011 that was really, really great.
Wyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 07:22 PM   #1227
ROBE
Commander

I have just watched Web of Fear, loved it I never thought I would see episodes 2, 4,5 and 6 again. Just a shame episode 3 is still missing.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 10:59 PM   #1228
Candlefright
Admiral

Ian Levine's on the warpath again...

All I am going to say is while selfish people hoard missing episodes, we're not going to get to see anything else. The situation is not going to change. Someone is enjoying it too much and gloating and getting his rocks off on the power he has. He is in no hurry to return anything. Nothing will be handed back this year. I always ALWAYS said that the worst thing that could ever happen to the missing Doctor Who episodes would be for someone with an agenda, who wasn't a real fan, to find some, and then use them for money, or power, or as a bargaining chip, or merely to stall and be awkward and tease us all. Sadly this nightmare scenario is what has come to pass and I am bitter with anger, and filled with a festering toxic poisonous rage. I never behaved like this and it makes my blood boil.

(The following in response to a comment from Scot Ferre) Sorry Scott but you've been played and used. None are coming but most do exist. but NONE ARE COMING. Scott, you have been used. I have never ever ever regretted anything more in my entire life than letting Paul Vanezis persuade me to publicly praise this awful man, in the hope he might return more. I wish I could take back every syllable. The way his OCD conducts his entire life means it's impossible for anyone like me to either understand him or predict how many years he will string us all along. He's equally capable of just burning the lot. I believe if GOD FORBID I was ever terminally ill, he'd callously wait till I died before releasing anything else. That's how low I think he is capable of acting. Sorry to say it but I loathe him now.

(The following in response to a comment about Philip Morris's wife) She's worse than he is. And as for him conveniently forgetting coming to my house and collecting the paperwork he needed, I can only assume his PTSD gave him amnesia too. I want to stay out of all of this. I had said a month ago that I was staying silence, and I did try to, honest I did, but my festering rage forced me to say SOMETHING. I think his actions are reprehensible and he makes a mockery of everything I ever tried to do in my entire life. He is the total antithesis of me and everything I stand for and everything I hold dear. He is my own personal nemesis, the "Anti-Levine" if you like. And I hate him deeply. And what I hate the most is the death of hope. He has ruined what should have been a wonderful event. I'm not just pessimistic, I could weep when I see how he plays all the fans for such fools. You all want them so badly that you let him abuse and mock you all. Am I one of the only VERY few people who can see right through his charade???

(The following in response to a question about how many episodes might Morris have in his possession?) We will never know for sure, as he has become the world's greatest expert at cloak and dagger, but I believe that it's most of them, and multiple copies of most as well - he's cleared out every source where anyone else could have looked, to ensure that he and only he holds a monopoly. You can't go public because he'll just deny it. He's had some of these for five years now and kept his gob shut.I would rather commit Harri-Kari than ever speak to Phil Morris now, because the mere thought of him makes my anger rise to boiling point these days. He's too arrogant to listen - he'd merely laugh. "Expect the unexpected".... Expect bollocks.
*sigh*

(I love the irony of the bit I've put in bold...)
Old March 25 2014, 11:54 PM   #1229
diankra
Commodore

Oh dear. If he's right, it doesn't help. If he's wrong, it's all projection and doesn't help either.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 12:24 AM   #1230
Nightowl1701
Commander

Didn't the prevailing rumors say it'd be Easter before we heard anything more? I'm not willing to hit the panic button just yet. You don't go to this much time and trouble just to sit atop a goldmine like Levine's thinking (unless you're Scrooge McDuck). And (if I was Morris) I sure wouldn't want Who fandom turning on me!
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote