Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 16 2014, 01:19 AM   #31
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: If they had any balls...

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
TheWelshPirate wrote: View Post
Heaven forbid a Star Trek movie involve some form of exploration.
Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC. No exploration at all in the TNG ones.
Hmmm. What about Sha Ka Ree in STV? What about the interior of V'Ger in TMP?
V'Ger was threat response and the Enterprise went to Sha Ka Ree after it was hijacked. Therefore, neither are exploration.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post

So.......the opening scene of STID WASN'T the only time we saw exploration in a ST movie?

Make up your mind!
(emphasis mine)

I think you may have missed what he was saying. Better give it another try.
I get what Tulin is saying. In one sentence, The Wormhole says ".. The opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've seen the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie" and the following sentence names a ship containing an Enterprise crewmen (Chekov).
You mean an ex-Enterprise officer, since sometime before TWOK Chekov was transferred of Enterprise and assigned to Reliant, making him in those scenes a Reliant officer. My point stands the Enterprise (whether original 1701 or the A) did no exploring in the TOS movies. And the Enterprise D and E likewise didn't in the TNG.
Old February 16 2014, 01:26 AM   #32
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Actually, YOU'RE seeing something that wasn't there and being rather personal about it too. I simply misread,is all.

Doesn't negate my later point about TMP being ALMOST ALL ABOUT exploration.

But again thanks for PURPOSELY ascribing something to me(rather than when I did it by accident)that wasn't there.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 02:15 AM   #33
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC. No exploration at all in the TNG ones.
Hmmm. What about Sha Ka Ree in STV? What about the interior of V'Ger in TMP?
V'Ger was threat response and the Enterprise went to Sha Ka Ree after it was hijacked. Therefore, neither are exploration.
Of course it's exploration.

If you'd said that "doing any exploring" wasn't how you meant to put it, because instead you meant that they never went on a mission just for the purpose of exploring, you might find people going, "Oh, OK, yeah, I see what you mean."

But as it is, disqualifying refutations of what you said, because it's not what you meant, it doesn't count for much. I won't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm not a mind reader!
Old February 16 2014, 02:34 AM   #34
I am not Spock
Commodore

Wasn't the Enterprise E at the beginning of First Contact assigned to a routine survey mission along the Neutral Zone? We saw the Enterprise doing scientific missions from time to time, but even Picard thinks those kind of missions are dull. I don't think anyone would want to see a movie comprised entirely of exploration
Old February 16 2014, 03:17 AM   #35
TheWelshPirate
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Of course it would be boring if they made an entire movie of them collecting alien plants and cataloguing space farts. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

But take Alien for example: that movie is about a crew that investigates an uncharted world and accidentally picks up a killer alien. Why not do something like that? Maybe instead of remaking Wrath of Khan yet again, they should've remade "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or even something like "The Cage", where the Enterprise is out exploring and come across some sort of conflict for the plot.

I'm just tired of these regurgitated "vengeful villain with superweapon wants to destroy Earth" plots we've been getting. It feels more like uninspired superhero movies than anything resembling Star Trek. Their costumes are even made entirely out of their own logo like Brandon Routh's costume in Superman Returns.

Then again, maybe this is just further evidence that Star Trek is better suited for television than for movies.
TheWelshPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 03:25 AM   #36
I am not Spock
Commodore

You are right about that, too. Not every movie needs to be Wrath of Khan, redux.

They could look to another episode of Star Trek for inspiration. Like The Devil In The Dark (seemingly hostile alien menacing a planet turns out to only be looking out for its young) or Shore Leave (beam down to a planet, and find unusual, or unexpected things going on there). They should be creative, and look to the original series itself for inspiration, not just rehash Wrath of Khan yet again
Old February 16 2014, 03:41 AM   #37
TheWelshPirate
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Exactly. Back to my original idea, if they had flown in to Nero's space-time sphincter in the first movie then perhaps in the second movie they would emerge in the Mirror Universe. Have a movie of Enterprise vs Evilprise, so to speak.

Maybe the wormhole sends them to the Mirror Universe in the future. That way we could get a Shatner cameo as older Mirror Kirk. You can't tell me that Pine vs Shatner wouldn't draw legions in to the theaters.

Come to think of it, that premise would actually make the title Star Trek into Darkness somewhat applicable to the plot. On multiple levels, even.
Old February 16 2014, 04:24 AM   #38
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Does Picard's exploration of Anij's body count?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:26 AM   #39
CorporalClegg
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Does Picard's exploration of Anij's body count?
I don't think so.

Someone has probably gone there before.
Old February 16 2014, 11:35 AM   #40
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I think sending an alternate universe Trek into another alternate universe would certainly have opened up a different tranche of storytelling. Whether it would have been better or worse would be up to the storytelling.

At least Chapel would have stayed on board...

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 02:12 PM   #41
2takesfrakes
Commodore

"If they had any balls... "

... then "they" would've allowed J.J. Abrams to completely reboot STAR TREK according to his vision. None of this "Alternate Timeline," Weasle Word stuff ... reboot it, remake it, reinvision it for a new Millenium. But ... "they" didn't. That's just the way the story goes ...
Old February 16 2014, 02:22 PM   #42
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^Nimoy and time travel were Abrams' Plan A. It's detailed on the ST'09 extras.
Old February 16 2014, 02:36 PM   #43
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Thank you, sir. Right, then. I still would've preferred seeing an actual reboot in 2009. Having STAR TREK completely done over was what I was looking forward to. Instead it was strangely familiar. Perhaps, it's not too late. There's still hope that the next television series may reboot the TOS characters in the same way Battlestar Galacta did with theirs. I wouldn't mind that at all, especially if they took it even further than that ...
Old February 16 2014, 07:54 PM   #44
TheWelshPirate
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I completely agree. I would've much rather they went with a hard reboot rather than this in-continuity, alternate universe mish-mash.
Old February 16 2014, 07:56 PM   #45
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

I can't even imagine the fan backlash.

You think the nerd rage is bad now about perceived rehashes of TWOK, and other such nonsense?

Just imagine if Captain Kirk was a Woman, and Spock is in a relationship with a Hispanic Doctor McCoy.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote